Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Forever Yours by coolh5000

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Kara is my wonderful beta - thank you :D
The four weeks that Ron and Hermione were apart seemed to pass both excruciatingly slowly and worryingly quickly.

The first big thing that happened for Ron was moving out of The Burrow. He hadn’t exactly planned to, but he was beginning to feel a bit stifled by living at home. He loved his parents and having someone cook for him was definitely nice, but if he was going to prove to Hermione that he had changed and made the most of their time apart, then he knew he should start showing a bit of independence. On the first day of their accelerated training, he and Neville had been talking about managing their revision time, and Neville had suggested that since he had a spare room, maybe it made sense for them to try sharing a flat for a while. That way they could revise together and Ron could get used to having a bit more independence.

Neville had moved into his own place several months ago. He hadn’t wanted to leave his gran and he was still close by, but had also longed for some independence of his own. He already had a head start on learning how to cook and clean, and between them the two boys seemed to manage all right. Ron had explained his situation with Hermione and they both knew that their living arrangement was only temporary, but it would at least hopefully get them both through the exams.

Not being able to contact her was one of the hardest things Ron had ever experienced. It brought back terrible memories of the time when he had left her and Harry during the Horcrux hunt. He had tried finding out information from Harry and Ginny but they hadn’t heard from her either. It seemed like she was serious about having no contact while she was gone. There were times when he just wanted to rush to Australia and bring her back, but everyone had done their best to convince him it was not a good idea.

It helped that the revision schedule was tough. He wasn’t sure how he would have coped if he’d still been at the shop as well. But even though it was hard work, for the first time Ron actually began to think he might be able to qualify as an Auror. Keeping Jones’ words firmly in his head, he had been more focused on his work than ever before. Knowing that there was no likelihood of contact from Hermione was almost easier than the constant state of wonder that there’d been during the first week of their separation. He knew that if he was going to win her back, he’d have to prove he’d at least tried.

Each day they had eight hours of theoretical and practical revision. The trainers were pushing them harder than ever before, determined that no one would fail the exams. The two boys would get home every night aching from the practice duels and gruelling exercises they had been put through. It was paying off however, and they were finally beginning to feel like they might be almost there, that they were really capable of being real Aurors - of joining the team responsible for tracking down the last of the elusive Death Eaters.

***


Hermione, meanwhile, was living a very different kind of life. Having left the stresses of England and the wizarding world behind she found herself relaxing for the first time in months.

It was good to get to properly see the places where her parents had spent their year away. Her last visit there had been taken up by explanations and arguments and when the memory charms had finally been reversed, they had left in quite a hurry. This time she met a lot of their friends too, and adjusted to hearing her parents being called Monica and Wendell. They’d discussed it before they arrived and decided it was for the best if they didn’t try and complicate things by trying to come up with an explanation for changing their names. Of course, suddenly introducing a daughter that none of them had known anything about certainly led to a few raised eyebrows, but they were only there for four weeks and they managed to give a few mumbled explanations about school and being difficult to contact.

They were staying a flat that belonged to some friends of her parents, who were on a holiday of their own. It was just north of Sydney, and overlooked the beach. Leaving the early autumn weather of England behind to be greeted by the spring sunshine of Australia was an experience Hermione could happily live through again. Though the locals longed for the peak summer temperatures of thirty degrees, the low twenties were more than enough to have Hermione and her parents out on the beach in their summer clothes, building up a tan.

She would often wake up early and walk along the beach, losing herself in her thoughts, and watching other people. It was here that she found herself, three weeks into the trip, thinking, inevitably, about Ron. It seemed like she could never get away from the thoughts for too long. It would be the stupidest things that prompted it, like now, as she studied the tan on her arms, trying to work out how many more freckles she had since the day before, she suddenly found herself thinking about how badly Ron would cope with the sun. He managed to burn even in the English sun, so goodness knows how he’d deal with Australia. He’d be a tomato by the end of day one. She remembered staying with him one summer, and how, on the one day Molly had forgotten to apply the sun screening charm, the sun had been particularly strong, and he was wincing in pain by lunch time. Luckily there was another charm that could ease the itching, but nothing had removed the bright red rash that adorned his face and arms. She smiled at the memory, thinking how much the others had teased him. Not that they had been much better.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice shouting for her from further down the beach. She turned her head and her smiled widened. The young man walking towards her certainly didn’t have any problems coping with the sun. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but the skin that was visible was clearly very tanned. He was definitely used to a bit of Australian sun.

–Rich!” she said as he reached her and pulled her into a hug. –Your mum said you’d gone away for a couple of days.”

–Oh we just went up the coast a bit - fancied a bit of surfing but the waves were rubbish, so we gave it up and came home. How’re you? You looked a million miles away then.”

–I was,” she admitted, breaking away from him and looking out towards the sea.

–Anything you want to talk about?”

She sighed. –Yes, no, maybe? Sorry, it was just, well, you know, the usual.”

Rich was the son of some friends of her parents. He had come over to introduce himself on the second day of their trip, and had quickly become her favourite thing about Australia. She had to admit it was the looks and surfer guy attitude that had drawn her in at first, but when they actually got to talking, it turned out he was a pretty good listener to, and had a talent for giving brilliant advice. She had explained her work troubles (changing the magical details to Muggle ones of course) and he had helped her realise exactly what it was she wanted. She hadn’t opened up about Ron immediately, not really knowing how to bring it up, but that changed on the night of the party her parents had held at the apartment the week before.

–What are you doing out here in the cold?” Rich asked, coming out onto the balcony to find Hermione standing there, leaning against the railings and gazing out to sea.

–Just thinking,” she replied. –I like looking at the sea. It’s so calming. Besides, if you think this is cold, you should come to England some time.”

–I might just do that,” he said with a grin. He came to join her at the rail, and as he put his hand out to grip the top, it brushed against Hermione’s and she felt a small shiver race down her spine. Instantly she shook herself, and pulled her hand away. She shouldn’t be feeling like this. She had come to Australia for some time alone and some space to think about Ron, not to fall into the arms of another man.

–You look so serious when you’re thinking,” Rich commented. –As if the whole world depends on you.”

–Sometimes, it feels as if it does,” she replied. It was true. The responsibility of being the smart friend of Harry Potter had been stifling at times, and it was a pressure that was still there, even if it didn’t need to be anymore, but she could hardly explain that to Rich.

–I would like to come and see you, you know,” he said. –But it depends if there’d be any reason for me to.”

Her heart began to quicken. He wasn’t about to take them down this route, surely.

–What do you mean?” she asked, trying to sound casual. –You’d always be welcome to stay with my parents, of course.”

–Well that’s not really what I mean, not that I don’t love your mum and dad. I was thinking more about whether you’d want to see me.”

He reached out and took her hand, –I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone like you, Hermione, and yet, I feel as if I hardly know you at all, but it doesn’t matter.”

She knew she should say something, anything, to stop him heading down this road, but she had suddenly lost her power of speech.

–I hate that you’re only here for a few weeks, but honestly, I don’t really care about that right now.” His other hand came up and cupped her chin, pulling her gently towards him and meeting her lips with his.

It was the romantic first kiss she’d never had with Ron. She could hear the waves lapping at the shore, and the soft patio lights on her parents’ balcony bathed them in a warm glow. Everything about it was perfect. Except for the person she was kissing.

The kiss lasted no more than a couple of seconds before she pulled away, snatching her hand back.

–I’m sorry,” she gasped. –I just can’t.”

–No, I’m sorry.” He had a pained look on his face. –I must have read the signals wrong. I thought it was what you wanted too.”

–I thought maybe I did. But I can’t, Rich. I haven’t told you everything about the real reason I’m here. I’m engaged, or at least I think I am. It’s all so complicated.” Without any sort of warning, tears had started flowing down her face. –I’m so sorry, Rich. I should have told you, but I didn’t know how, and like I said, it’s complicated. I don’t even know if there’s going to be a wedding and then I just kissed you, and now, I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

She couldn’t miss the hurt expression that passed over his face, but almost instantly he rearranged it into one of sympathy.

–No, I kissed you, Hermione, and you stopped it. You’ve done nothing wrong. But maybe it’d do you some good to talk about whatever this is.”


And so they had talked, and she had explained her situation with Ron to him, all the while feeling guilty for having misled him and relieved to finally talk about her relationship with someone.

Rich hadn’t said much that night, and then the next day she hadn’t seen him. She worried that she might have driven him away for good, but then the day after that, he had been there when she took her early morning walk, and his face lit up into its familiar grin, and everything was almost okay again.

It had changed things, of course, but he was still there, and he was still her friend. And even though she knew it must be hurting him, he let her talk about Ron, and he didn’t try and interfere or force her into thinking one way or the other. He gave her the space she needed to just talk, and to think.

–There’s not long until you leave, now,” Rich said, as they watched the morning tide coming in. They were sitting on the sand now, leaning back and enjoying the sun.

–We’ll be landing in London a week tomorrow,” she said, sadly. –I’m going to miss this place so much. It’s been wonderful.”

–You can always come back.”

–I know. But this trip will always be special.”

–Have you made any decisions?” he asked after a brief pause.

She sighed. –Every time I think I know what I want, something makes me doubt myself.”

–Can I say something?”

She sat up and looked at him, wondering if he was finally ready to stop listening and give his advice. –Of course.”

–You love Ron, it’s obvious. And from what you’ve told me about him, he loves you back. In fact, it sounds like he’s crazy for you. If I had a girl like you, I don’t think I could have coped with you going half way around the world for a month and leaving me behind, but he’s dealt with that, and you said he’d respected you asking him not to contact you or anything like that. So the only thing I would say is that if I were him, and I had done everything you asked, and let you have the time you needed to think things through, and then you came back and told me you still weren’t ready, then I’m not sure I could wait anymore. I’m not him, obviously, but telling any guy you don’t want to marry him anymore would break his heart.”

–It wouldn’t be forever, just for now,” Hermione argued, playing out the same discussion with Rich that she had been having in her own head for weeks.

–You can’t keep asking him to wait, Hermione. I’m sure he’d do it, but it’s not fair and it wouldn’t be the same. I can’t tell you what to do and I sure as hell can’t force you into going home and marrying the guy, but from the way you talk about him, I can’t see why you wouldn’t want to. Do you remember, that night, when I told you how serious you look when you’re thinking? I can always tell when it’s him you’re thinking about, because you stop frowning, and you get that little smile at the corner of your mouth and suddenly you just look so completely happy and relaxed. And anyone who can do that for you must be the right guy.”

She didn’t reply to that. She knew that everything he said made sense, but still there was a tiny voice somewhere deep down inside of her that was saying that this was marriage they were talking about, and it was so huge a decision that she didn't know how she was ever supposed to know what do.

–I don’t know,” she said at last with a sigh. –Perhaps I’ll know when I see him.”

They didn’t talk about Ron again. Hermione was certain she had done all the thinking she could do on the matter, and even if her mind was not yet made up, seeing him would hopefully finalise her decision.

The last week of the Grangers’ trip passed quickly. Saying goodbye to Rich was the hardest part for Hermione, and he made her promise that she would stay in touch.

–I want to hear about everything,” he said, as he hugged her at the airport. –And don’t worry about everything - I’m sure it’ll all work out for the best.”

–Thanks, Rich, I don’t know what I’d have done without you,” she replied. –You’ve been a wonderful friend.”

She couldn’t help but shed a little tear as they waved goodbye and made their way through to the departure lounge. The holiday had been perfect - just what she needed, and even though she had to return to her real life in England, she could have easily stayed in Sydney for a lot longer.

It took them a little over twenty four hours to reach London, and by the time they landed, they were all tired, and ready for a shower and change of clothes. It was mid-morning in England, and passing through the airport seemed to take forever. Eventually, though, they had collected their suitcases and could make their way out to the arrivals hall. Hermione had mentioned her flight times to Harry and Ginny but she hadn’t really expected either of them to be able to meet them, so she didn’t bother looking out.

–Home sweet, home,” her dad said as they exited the baggage claim. –I’ll miss the weather but it’ll be nice to never have to answer to Wendell again.”

Hermione laughed. Her father hated his fake name, and often asked why she hadn’t gone for something a little cooler.

–Hermione,” her mother said suddenly, –isn’t that Ron over there?”

Surprised, Hermione turned her head and sure enough, a few metres away stood Ron, his mouth open, his eyes fixed on her.

It was all she needed. Just as she had said to Rich, halfway around the world, seeing Ron suddenly made the decision easy.

***


For Ron, by the day of Hermione’s return, it felt as if it had been a year since he last saw her, not just a month. The exams had finished three days before, and the trainees now had a week off the Ministry while they waited for the results. After the stress of the last four weeks, the three days with nothing to do had been agony for Ron. He had hours to go over and over his last meeting with Hermione, and all the weeks that had come before it. Every doubt suddenly came rushing back to him, and he suddenly began to confront the realisation that she might not back with the answer he wanted to hear.

The day before the Grangers’ plane was due to land, Ron even found himself back in the shop, not really sure where else to go.

–I knew you wouldn’t be able to stay away forever,” George said when he saw him. –How’s it going?”

Ron just shrugged, not really having the words to answer.

–Hermione back tomorrow?”

–Yeah.”

–And have you thought about what you’re going to say?”

–Haven’t a clue. I’m hoping I’ll know when I see her.”

–You’re going to improvise? Is that the best idea?”

–Honestly? I haven’t got a clue, anymore. I’m not sure how it could make things worse.”

To his credit, George didn’t try and crack a joke, but simply gave Ron a firm pat on the back. –You’ll be okay, little brother - I’m sure of it.”

That evening, he sat in the flat with Neville, drinking a beer and chatting. They avoided talking about the exams or Hermione and instead chatted about the latest television show they were watching. The flat was a Muggle one and therefore had television, which both Ron and Neville had found they enjoyed watching. They had to be careful not to do too much magic when it was switched on, as the signal had a tendency to go a bit haywire, but otherwise, it worked brilliantly.

–Have you thought about what you’ll do when Hermione gets back? I mean with the flat and everything,” Neville asked when all other conversation had been exhausted.

–I dunno, really. We weren’t ever planning to live together properly until after the wedding, so she might go back to her parents’.”

–Well if you wanted, she could come here. I’ve been thinking of going back to Gran’s for a few weeks - she’s not well and I’d like to be there. Hermione could stay here. She could have my room if…” He trailed off, suddenly blushing.

–We’ve shared a bed before, Neville,” Ron said, but didn’t elaborate any further. –Thanks for the offer though. I’ll see what she says. I don’t even know that we’ll still be together by this time tomorrow."

The thought terrified him.

The four weeks had been good for him - he was able to realise that now. Hermione was right when she said they had needed time apart, and he had benefitted from it, even over such a short period. He had learnt how to cook, do his own washing, and hopefully, he was now a fully-qualified Auror. He had changed as a person too. Yes, he missed Hermione, but it had been good doing things just for him, and to have the chance to spend a bit of time with his friends and his brothers.

Nonetheless, he knew that he wanted to be with her. He was more sure than ever that they hadn’t rushed things, and that just because they were young didn’t mean they couldn’t make this sort of commitment. Yes, marriage was going to be challenging at times, and they both had a long way to go before they would really be grown up, but he felt like they had survived the first test, and the only way to go from now was up.

Of course there was no guarantee that she would feel the same.

Ron had no idea what he was going to say when he saw her. He had managed to wrestle her flight details from Harry and was planning to meet her and her parents when they arrived at the airport. But that was as far as he had got in his plans.

Her flight was due to land at ten am. Knowing absolutely nothing about the way Muggle airports worked, Ron wasn’t sure how early he was supposed to get there and planned to arrive at around half nine. Harry had offered to go with him, but he was certain that he needed to be alone the first time he saw her again. The fact that her parents would also be there didn’t exactly help matters but there was nothing that could be done about it.

It turned out he was in for a long wait. When he arrived at the airport he was immediately confronted by ten different entrances, all leading to different places.

–Excuse me,” he asked a random passer-by, who seemed to be wearing some sort of uniform. –I’m trying to find the flight arriving from Australia?”

–Do you know the terminal?”

–Um, hang on.” He dug his fist into his pocket and brought out a crumpled piece of paper. –Terminal three, I think. And she’s coming from er, Dubai?”

–Oh yes, she’ll be with Emirates then. Follow this walkway down to the end and then look out for signs to terminal three. Shouldn’t take more than five minutes to walk down there.”

Ron glanced anxiously at his watch.

–What time is she due to land?”

–Ten, I think. I hope I don’t miss her. She’s not expecting me, you see.”

The man chuckled. –Ten? She’ll have to go through passport control and wait for her bags. She won’t be out until at least eleven.”

Ron’s face fell. –Eleven?”

–Yes, sorry, takes forever to get anywhere in an airport. I’m sure it’ll be a nice surprise for her though, whoever she is. Always nice to have someone waiting for you when you get off a plane."

Cheered by this, Ron thanked the man and started heading in the direction he had pointed.

He was in the terminal and waiting at the arrivals lounge by quarter to ten. Someone else pointed out the screens which gave all the flight details and he was able to find the Grangers’ flight and saw that they were due to arrive on time.

With nothing else to do but wait, he sat in one of the uncomfortable chairs and started thinking through what he was going to say. He had thought of nothing else for the last three days but still felt completely clueless. He suddenly felt woefully unprepared. He should have written a speech, or bought flowers, or something, but he had been so sure that he would know exactly what to say when he saw her. He wasn’t so sure anymore. What if she came back and wanted to break up with him? Would she stand there and tell him at the airport, or would she wait and break it to him gently, allowing him some hope that everything was still okay?

He followed the progress of the screen as it changed from arriving, to landed, to retrieving baggage. He thought back to what the airport man had told him - collecting baggage was the last stage. Anxious not to miss her, he decided to move closer to the gate.

He had been watching what happened each time a new flight arrived. People would flock to a large set of doors which would then open to reveal the passengers, pushing large trolleys of luggage and with tired, happy expressions on their faces. All around him there were joyous reunions and he heard shrieks of joy as people caught sight of their loved ones.

Not for the first time it occurred to Ron that Hermione might not thank him for coming to the airport, particularly as she hadn’t known he’d be there. It was too late for doubts now, however. The first trickle of people from the Dubai flight were starting to come through.

Hermione and her parents were not among the first to come out, and he had to strain his neck to try and find them in the growing crowd, but suddenly he spotted them. She was tanned and looked, if possible, even more beautiful than ever. The worry lines from around her eyes had gone and though she was tired, she was smiling at a joke her father had just told, and seemed more relaxed than Ron could ever remember.

He opened his mouth to call her name but his throat had gone dry, and he could barely utter a sound. A feeling of panic gripped his chest as he watched his moment slipping away from him.

But then, almost as if she knew, she turned her head in his direction and their eyes met. Suddenly the words didn’t matter. He didn’t need to speak. Letting go of her trolley, she started running towards him, while he weaved his way through the crowds of people to meet her halfway.

They stopped, centimetres apart from each other, and just as he had hoped, he knew exactly what to do. Putting his arms out, he drew her to him and as his lips met hers, he felt as if his heart might explode with excitement. He kissed her hard and passionately, trying to put all the unspoken words and feelings into it and never wanting to let her go again. To his enormous relief and joy, she kissed him back. He could taste the tears that were running down her face and into his mouth but he knew with absolute certainty that these were happy tears.

–I love you, Hermione Granger,” he said as he released her at last, –and I’m never letting you go again.”

She laughed through her tears and hugged him tightly. –I love you too, Ron Weasley, and in two months’ time, I’m going to become your wife, if you’ll still have me.”

And instantly, everything was right again.
Chapter Endnotes: Finally, a happy ending to a chapter! This is pretty much is for this story though there will be one final (short) chapter which'll hopefully be up soon!