Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Snowflakes by The_Dream_Team

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: So sorry for the long wait, guys : I hope you like this chapter, though!
"What are you two doing snogging each other?" asked Sirius.

Lily was at a loss for what to say. She was a bit breathless and her head was spinning. What had she just done?

She looked across the table at James, who smiling from ear to ear. He just grinned at Sirius, who was obviously stunned and confused by what he had just witnessed. "What did you do, Prongs?" Sirius said.

"What?" said James, finding his voice. "She was the one to kiss me!"

Sirius' jaw dropped to the floor. Lily turned an even darker shade of pink and did not look Sirius in the eye. Instead, she focused on her feet. She could tell that James was looking at her, probably expecting her to say something, but she honestly hadn't a clue. Kissing James was probably a mistake. She was too in the moment and wasn't thinking straight. But how could she tell James that? Lily looked up to see James ruffle his hair a little more and then grin at her.

"I told you," he said, cockily, "back after that Hot Chocolate Social."

"You told me what?" asked Lily, not sure what he was talking about.

"Remember? I told you that you were in love with me and and you denied it. But I was right all along," said James arrogantly. Oh yes, this was why Lily could never stand James at school.

"I'm not in love with you," said Lily, crossing her arms across her chest.

"But you are," said James, not breaking eye contact.

"You don't know what goes on in my head," Lily said. She was getting rather peeved at James now. Why couldn't he just drop this? Yes, she kissed him, but that shouldn't have sent James on some egocentric rush.

"Fine, but you did just admit that you liked me. Then, we snogged. In my opinion, I think you're warming up to me," he said with a wink. It took everything in Lily's power not to roll her eyes at him.

"Lily Maryanne Evans," said Sirius, "I never thought I'd see the day."

"My middle name is not Maryanne."

"None the less, I think this is wonderful," said Sirius, smiling.

"What's wonderful?" said a dazed and sleepy looking Cassie.

"Nothing," said Lily quickly. Cassie was talking to her again and she didn't want to stop to discuss whatever it was that had just happened with James. "How are you?"

"Tired," said Cassie. "But I wanted to tell you that Bess is starting to wake up."

Lily jumped up from her seat, leaving the boys in the kitchen, and followed Cassie back to where Bess was slowly sitting up in bed.

"Bess," exclaimed Lily. She was so relieved that Bess was awake.

"My head kills," grumbled Bess. Lily hugged her and so did Cassie and Jill. When the girls finally let her go, Bess smiled, but then caught sight of Remus, lying across the room. "What's happened to him?"

"You don't remember anything?" asked Sirius who had come to join the girls. Bess shook her head.

"Well, then," said Lily, taking a deep breath, "we've got some explaining to do."

The next thirty minutes were spent telling Bess exactly what had happened the night before and about magic. Lily, James, and Sirius told her about Hogwarts and the Ministry and, most importantly, about how they weren't allowed to tell Muggles about the magical world.

"But you're telling us now," pointed out Bess.

"That's because we really don't have a choice," said Lily. "You've already seen magic and you know that Remus is a werewolf...."

"So you can just wave around a wand and solve all your problems?" Bess asked. She was taking this much better than Cassie and Jill had the night before.

"Not exactly," said James.

"We technically aren't allowed to do magic outside of school," said Lily.

"But you have been," said Cassie, looking confused.

"Yeah, why is that?" asked Sirius as though he expected Lily to have the answer.

"I don't know any better than you do. Maybe it's because of all the other Muggles around?" suggested Lily.

"No, the Trace reports you to the Ministry, despite how many Muggles there are," James said.

"Wait. Hold on. What are Muggles?" asked Bess. She rubbed her head as if she had a massive headache. Lily suspected that she must after all the information she was suddenly getting.

"Non magic people," Lily told her.

"Like us?" she asked, gesturing to herself and the other girls.

"Yeah," Lily responded, dropping her gaze.

Lily really didn't like how differently her friends were looking at her now. She realized that nothing would be the same between them again. Lily would always be an outsider. The one who was different. She sighed, wishing there was an easier way to explain things. More than anything, Lily wanted to stress that she was the same person. Just because she was magical didn't make her a complete stranger.

"This is just too weird," said Bess.

"I'm sorry," said Lily, but no one responded.

"When can we leave this place?" asked Cassie, finally.

"It's freezing outside," said Lily, "do you guys have enough layers to keep warm if we were to walk back?"

The girls shook their heads.

"Plus, I'm not leaving until Remus wakes up. He usually needs a little while to recover," said Sirius.

"All right, I'm going to go back to the hotel to get clothes for Cassie, Bess, and Jill," Lily said. "They need to keep warm up here and I'm the only one with a proper winter coat."

"You shouldn't go alone," started James.

"And why not?"

"Because...."

"Look, James, I can take care of myself," said Lily.

"I know that," James said, "but what if you get lost? Plus, you can't carry all their jackets by yourself."

Lily thought about letting James come. It would be nice to have some company on the way down. But then again, James would be better off in the cabin.

"It's your decision," said Lily after a while. "I'm going to leave now so I get back by the afternoon."

Lily put her coat on, took one last look at her friends, and walked out the door.

"Hold up!" shouted James from behind her. She wasn't even remotely surprised that he had followed her. "Lily, slow down!"

In a moment, he had caught up to her. "It's cold out," he said.

"That's exactly why I'm getting coats for the others," said Lily. She thought that was obvious.

"Right, said James as he ruffled his hair.

They kept walking, Lily a little faster than James. "Come on, Evans, slow down a bit."

"James, we don't want to still be walking once the sun's gone down,"pointed out Lily.

"But can't we just pause a moment to enjoy the scenery? I mean, just look at this place!" said James. He wildly gestured at the mountains and trees around them.

"Yes, it's lovely out here, but we don't really have the time to stop and smell the roses," said Lily. She kept walking, ignoring James' look of disappointment.

"Look, Lily," said James as he grabbed her arm, "I know that you're upset about the whole werewolf problem."

Lily turned around to face him and waited to see what he had to say.

"Sure, it sucks," said James, "I get that. But you have to understand that you have to get past the bad stuff. Horrible things happen all the time, but you can't just waste your life away worrying about what can't be undone. I'm sorry that Remus came and I'm sorry that Bess was hurt, but there isn't anything that we can do about it. So, please, just try to relax and enjoy these last few days of vacation."

Were there really just a few more days left on their trip? Time had really gone quickly the last week. James was right, their flight back home was the next friday. And he was right about another thing. All the problems with Remus and Bess were in the past. Potter, for once, was right. She should try to enjoy herself as much as possible the next few days.

"All right," she said, "we can stop if you want."

"Really?" asked James. He looked pleasantly surprised. "Okay... let's appreciate the wilderness."

"Appreciate the wilderness?" Lily raised her eyebrows. "What do you mean by that?"

"Follow me," said James with a wink. He took Lily's hand and dragged her into the forrest that they were walking beside.

"Is this a good idea," said Lily nervously. Even in the daytime, the woods seemed darker than they should be.

"It's an excellent idea," said James as he led her deeper and deeper into the woods.

The didn't stop until they came across a clearing where the sun light found its way through the branches. It was the first sunny patch they had found.

"Isn't it col in here?" asked James.

Lily couldn't help but smile at how peaceful it seemed. The trees were hardly rustling and they were stepping on untouched snow. For a moment, it felt like she and James were the only people in the world. "It's nice to be separate from all the chaos right now."

James nodded his head in agreement and sat down on a fallen tree. He motioned for Lily to join him, so she did.

"I don't know about you, but this would have to be the best vacation ever," said James, a smile on his face.

"It's definitely up there," Lily admitted. She remembered just a couple weeks ago, when she was so horrified that James and Sirius were at the same resort as her.

"Well, minus these last couple of days," said James.

"Well, yeah. Take away the werewolf problem...."

"And don't forget the Death Eaters," James pointed out.

"Right," remembered Lily, "how could I forget the Death Eaters. And I would definitely take away Jim snogging me."

"And it totally sucked when- wait. What?" said James, looking a bit taken aback.

"You know, when Jim cornered me in the hallway and forced himself on me? I could've sworn I told you!" said Lily. She had told James... hadn't she?

"What? You... kissed him? Why? I didn't hear anything about this." James' hand flew to his hair to mess it up.

"Oh," said Lily, feeling extremely embarrassed, "that wasn't you. That was Sirius, who I told."

The expression on James' face told her that she was digging herself into a hole.

"You told Sirius? And not me?" he asked. He looked insulted.

"Well, he saw it," Lily said, trying to find a way to calm James down. He seemed quite flustered all of the sudden.

"He watched you snog Jim?"

"I didn't kiss him! He kissed me," said Lily, trying to defend herself.

"Did you kiss him back?"

"No, but it's really none of your business," said Lily.

"Why didn't Sirius tell me?" said James, more to himself than to Lily.

"Probably because it wasn't important."

"Well...." It seemed like James wanted to argue, but he stopped himself.

Lily wasn't sure why, but she really liked seeing James this jealous. Part of her felt bad, though, because he looked so pained.

"Come on, James, why are you so bothered?" she asked him.

"Why do you think?" he asked. Lily didn't answer and let him continue. "If you haven't noticed, I like you a lot, Evans. And, yes, I'll admit it, I'm jealous. Happy? I've said it." He sort of laughed and smiled at her, hiding the fact that he was blushing. Lily was so in the moment, that she almost leaned in to kiss him again, but she stopped herself.

What would everyone at school think if they found out I snogged James? she thought. She knew it was shallow, but she was honestly worried how her friends would react if she started dating James. Deep down, she knew that it shouldn't matter who she dated, as long as she liked them, but this was different. She had to fit the mold. Everyone knew her as Lily Evans, the smart, stubborn Gryffindor who James Potter always chased after, but never could get. Who would she be if she finally gave in? Her mind drifted to Sev. What would he think of her? She quickly shook Snape from her mind, though. She definitely didn't care what he thought of her anymore.

"James," Lily said after a moment, "we should probably be getting going."

But James wasn't listening to her or even paying attention to what she was saying. His gaze was fixed just above her shoulder. He put his finger to her lips and whispered, "Don't make any sudden moves. There's a man in a mask behind those trees."

Both Lily and James reached into their pockets and grasped their wands.

"We run on the count of three," said James. "One... two... three."
Chapter Endnotes: Again, so super sorry for the long wait. Things have been really busy, lately. I hoped you liked this chapter! The next one wont take as long, I promise :) Thanks so much for reading and sticking with this story! You all are wonderful!