Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Snowflakes by The_Dream_Team

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this chapter! I'd like to thank my mod, Colores, for helping with my typos! Thanks!
"I don't see why Danny can't come!" said Jill for the hundredth time.

"Oh, come off it," said Cassie.

The girls turned down another hallway. While Lily, Cassie, and Bess were walking together in a line, Jill was behind them, sulking.

"It will be more fun with just Sirius and James," said Bess. "I can't even understand what those French boys are saying half the time!"

Cassie nodded in agreement.

Lily however, chose not to have any input on the matter. It was true that she would much rather not have to spend the night with Jim. It would be far too awkward to have dinner with him and James. Not that she preferred to spend the night with James, of course. Jim was perfectly fine. Lily just worried that James would kill the poor boy if he so much as passed her the salt. She sighed and continued to listen to her friends' bickering.

"Are you saying that you don't like french fries? What if they were just called fries?"

"Jill, you're being ridicules! I don't have a problem with France!" said Cassie.

Bess just rolled her eyes at the two and continued to walked, like Lily, in silence.

Finally, the girls reached Sirius and James' room.

They only had to knock once before Sirius answered with a smile. "Hello, ladies," he said as he slung his arm over Cassie. She blushed and let him lead her into the room.

The others followed behind and sat around the crackling fireplace.

A happy looking James jumped over the back of the sofa and landed right next to Lily. She inched away, but still laughed at his attempt to show off by hurtling furniture.

"Do you like the fire?" he asked her. "We had to get room service to do it. Did you know it turns on by pushing a little button? It's just like magic"

Lily laughed at him, again. This was the second time in the last two minutes. What was wrong with her?

"But how," Lily asked, "did you possibly figure out how to use a telephone?"

"Oh, that thing?" He pointed to the phone in the corner. "Nah, we still can't get that to work. I made Sirius run down to the lobby to get someone."

"Lazy," Lily murmured before turning to her friends.

"So guys," she asked, her back facing James, "where should we go for dinner?"

"Well, I was thinking...," started James.

"Nobody?" said Lily, pretending to ignore the boy speaking behind her.

"How about that buffet?" asked Sirius. "Best mashed potatoes ever."

"I'm still full from the last time we ate there!" said Jill, jokingly.

"Well if you're not hungry, you don't need to come," shot Bess.

"Hey, that's fine with me! Then I could go with Danny," said Jill. She sounded a bit taken aback because usually Bess never spoke-up. Bess however, was smiling and looking very confident.

"Stop fighting, you guys," said Lily.

"Yeah, really," said James, "We need to think about dinner! How about we go to the--"

"We could order pizza," suggested Lily, cutting James off, again.

"No, we should go out somewhere," said Cassie.

"Down to the village?" said Jill, who seemed to have joined the conversation again.

"To The Three Broomsticks!" exclaimed Sirius as he jumped up from his seat.

Lily and James' eyes widened. Of course there wouldn't be a Three Broomsticks in a Muggle mountain village!

"The Three Broomsticks?" asked Cassie. "I've never her of it.... What do they sell there?"

"Oh, nothing," said Sirius, recognizing his blunder. "It isn't real. I just made it up, right now! Haha! Funny, right?"

"You're a comedy wizard, Sirius," said James sarcastically and Sirius let out a bark-like laugh.



Later that night, the gang headed to the gondolas to ride into town. They managed to stuff everybody into one and soon they were gliding on a wire down to the town.

The view was spectacular and Lily could see every individual building standing along the icy streets. The roofs made up a colorful rainbow as they moved closer and closer to the town.

Lily felt a hand on her shoulder and she didn't need to turn her head to see that the hand belonged to Potter. She quickly shrugged him off.

"What do you say we buy a vacation home here?" he asked her.

"I would say sure if I didn't hate you so much," Lily said back.

"Hate is a strong word, Lilykins," replied James. "Plus, we already covered the fact that you love me, so...."

"You're pushing my buttons, Potter," said Lily, but she could see him smiling. No matter what she said, she couldn't change his mind.

The gondola came to a halt, so the teens got out one by one. They made their way through the winding streets and passed the many Muggle shops that mostly had souvenirs in their windows. They saw a few restaurants, but nothing seemed appealing.

"I want sushi!"

"How about Mexican?"

"I'm in the mood for...."

"Potter, let go of my hand!"

"Sorry."


It was a two-story house that caught Lily's eye. On the outside, hung a sign that said, "Diner", in bold letters. The others thought it had potential, so they went inside.

It was a cute little place that wasn't very busy and had plenty of seating, so they sat. The table was right next to a huge window that overlooked the entire main road. Lily found herself entranced by the little fragile snowflakes that were falling so perfectly from the sky.

"What would you like to order?" asked the waiter once everyone was situated.

As her friends placed their orders, Lily browsed through her menu, trying to decide what to get. She settled on a bowl of soup and half of a panini, just like Bess.

"I'll have the cheeseburger, and a baked potato. Oh, and a salad on the side." said James. Lily wondered how boys could eat so much as she listened to Sirius' even larger order.

The group ate a little more quickly that night because they hoped to fit in some shopping before the sun went down. The boys were not as excited about window shopping as much as the girls, but that was expected. Dinner went smoothly, except when Sirius accidentally tried to tip the waiter with Sickles instead of Muggle money.

"It's just from a joke shop," explained Sirius, apologetically. "I'm very, very sorry. Don't know how it got mixed in...."

James and Lily just shook their heads and rolled their eyes as Sirius let the other girls examine the coin and guess what the numbers and symbols represented.

"Oh, could we stop in here?" asked Jill, pointing to the pharmacy. "I wanted to pick up a pack of gum." She led the way into the tiny store and went searching through her favorite flavors. Cassie, Lily, and Bess went down the "knick-knack" isle and Sirius and James headed to the back of the shop to look at the magazines.

Lily and her friends found tons of random toys and games for little kids. One thing that caught her eye was a box of Muggle magic tricks. She picked it up and went to find the boys to show them the joke.

The store was actually a lot larger on the inside than Lily had expected. The rows of common necessities and the smaller shelves with t-shirts and toiletries gave the shop the feeling of being in a maze. A dark maze, at that because of the lack of light fixtures.

At last, Lily found James and Sirius huddled together by the magazines and newspapers. As they saw her, they signaled for her to be quiet. As she got closer, she noticed the dark figure at the very back of the store. Her heart sank as she saw the man lurking in the shadowy corner of the pharmacy.

"We have to go," mouthed Sirius and he pointed to the door. "Get the others."

Lily quietly turned around and quickly walked to the front of the store, begging that the Death Eater hadn't seen anybody yet or recognized the boys.

'Hey guys," she said, once she had found the girls, "I don't feel very well. Can we go?"

"Of course, Lily," said Cassie.

"I'll just buy my gum and then...," started Jill.

Lily held her hand to her mouth and pretended to cough the best she could. "Please, can we just go now?"

"Fine," said Jill and she let out a dramatic sigh which earned her a slap on the arm from Cassie.

James and Sirius had finally made their way to the front of the shop, so they quickly headed out the door.

"Do you think he noticed you?" Lily asked Sirius once they were walking down the street.

"I'm not sure. We aren't sure what her was doing back there, maybe stealing some newspapers or something. But I don't think he saw us."

"I can't believe he was in the town, though." she said. "This really isn't safe. And I don't think it was coincidence that he's here. I think that we need to tell someone, a professor or our parents."

"Not my parents. They'd probably disown me for hanging around Muggles and turning in Death Eaters who are most likely my own cousins. Remember, they don't know that I'm here," said Sirius with a sigh. He smiled at her, but Lily knew that it must be hard to have such a disapproving family. She could barely stand Petunia and she didn't know what she would do if her parents hated her, too.


Bottom line, Lily was scared. She had never had any run-ins with Death Eaters before and in the Muggle world, there weren't any professors to protect her. Today, she had had two encounters with Voldemort's followers and that was two too many for her.

"Lily, are you all right? You're shaking," said Cassie as they rode the gondola back to the Christophe Brazier.

"Oh, I'm just a bit cold," lied Lily.

"If you're sure.... Well, it's still early, do you guys wanna hang out at our place? We brought some movies." said Cassie.

James shrugged. "Sure, that sounds like fun."


Soon, the group was seated around the coffee table and Jill was explaining the rules of poker to Sirius and James who both seemed utterly confused. All of a sudden, Cassie let out a high pitched scream.

"What's that tapping at the window? Is that... an owl?" she yelled.

"James, Sirius, and Lily were so accustom to seeing owls delivering mail hardly even flinched, where as the other girls both let out loud screams like Cassie.

"Someone make it go away!" shouted Jill who had jumped onto the table for some reason. It obviously wasn't protecting her from the bird but she was still nervously hopping on top of it, anyway.

"I will go get it!" exclaimed James with mock bravery. He grabbed a few crackers to give it and headed out onto the balcony where the owl was waiting.

Lily got up to see who the letter was from and Sirius followed.

"Begone, fowl beast!" said James as he signaled for the bird to wait in his and Sirius' suite.

"What does it say?" asked Sirius as they watched James read the letter.

"Oh, Merlin," James said before sitting down on a chair and burring his face in his hands.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks so much for reading! Please leave a review to let me know what you think! Reviews are always appreciated! And Happy Holidays, everyone! =D