Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Operation: Lily by siriusly_confused

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Lily's point of view
Finally, after six years of trying to be a good example for the younger students, I had landed myself exactly where I've wanted to be: the Head Girl at Hogwarts. I stared lazily out of the train window, waiting for the final whistle before the Hogwarts Express would leave. I could see the worried looks on the parents as they left their young children for the first time, reminding myself what it was like on my first train ride.

It feels just like yesterday when I was going to be a first year, I remember hugging my parents goodbye, promising to write them every day. I remember trying to find a compartment with Severus, which led to meeting Natasha, and waving goodbye to my teary-eyed mother. I also remember the scowl on Petunia's face as the train slowly began to leave. She wouldn't even let me say goodbye to her, giving me the cold shoulder the whole way to the train station. Severus tried so hard to make me feel better on the way to school. But instead, he had only made me feel worse that she couldn't have came with me. Severus used to be such a good friend. It's such a shame how some people change for the worse...

I spotted Natasha outside hugging her father quickly before running, a hand gripping onto her trunk, to get inside the train. A minute later, she opened the compartment door out of breath, only just in time as the train's whistle began to blow. I was about to ask her how her summer went when she blurted out, "Have you found out who the Head Boy is, Lily?"

"Yes," I sighed, folding my arms across my chest. "It's Potter."

"Oh, Lily. I'm sorry," she consoled. A smile flickered on her face as her hand automatically flew to her mouth to stop from revealing a laugh.

"What?" I asked, fidgeting in my seat.

"Well, you know he's going to try and ask you out again." She smiled, no doubt remembering some of the other attempts Potter had tried. "I just wonder what new ways he's thought up this summer."

"How many ways can a boy try to ask a girl out?" I cried, flinging my hands up in the air.

"Remember last year when Potter cast a spell on the enchanted ceiling in the Great Hall that wrote out his proposal to asking you out?" she laughed.

"Yeah and that put him in detention for how long?" I reasoned. "Served him right! That was so -- “

"Romantic?" Natasha interjected.

"More like embarrassing!" I exclaimed, crossing my legs as I leaned back in my seat.

"No!" she protested. "It can't be as bad as that one time during our fourth year when..."

"Ugh," I groaned, remembering as well the most embarrassing act of Potter asking me out.

Back in the fourth year, Potter had simply asked me if I would be his date on the Hogsmeade trip on Valentines Day. Well, I politely said "no". But of course, Potter wouldn't take no for an answer. Then the day before Valentines Day, Potter came up to me during lunch and burst into song, mainly a song about "why won't I be his date for Valentines day?" For weeks after that, random students would come up to me and sing why won't I be their date for Valentines. Sirius especially wouldn't give it a rest.

"Alright, let's just change the subject from his ways of asking me out," I begged, clasping my hands together dramatically. "I just can't believe that I'm going to have to see him more often this year! Not only do I have to share my duties with him but I'll also see him hanging around the Head dorms everyday. There is no way I can avoid him, now!"

"Well, maybe when you two start getting closer and you get into his inner circle of friends," she said, grinning, "you could introduce me to Sirius!"

"Don't hold your breath, Natasha," I scorned, laughing. "That'll never happen."

"Never say never!" she replied in a sing-song voice, taking out A Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7.

I took it as a sign of surrender for now and took out a book to read. My mind began to wander, and a few minutes later, I realized I was still on the first page. I put down the book, leaving my mind free to think of Professor Dumbledore's poor choice for Head Boy. He just had to pick Potter. James 'bloody' Potter, of all people! What did he do to deserve this? I've worked hard, gotten great grades (except for Arithmancy, which is a little bit of my weakness), and, of course, I like to think of myself as one of the school's top students. What has he done? Nothing but joke around with those friends of his. How Potter managed to pass all of his classes are beyond me. I think he bribed the teachers; Professor Slughorn wouldn't have been too hard to get to.

Potter was always a prick. Even on the very first train ride to Hogwarts, he was rude! He made up that nickname, Snivellus, for Severus. This year, though, I won't let Potter get in my way. Even though I, unfortunately, will have to deal with him every single day as Head Girl, I will make sure he understands what will happen if he tries to ask me out one more time!

Just calm down, Lily,
I told myself. Maybe now that we're in the seventh year, he'll have grown up over the summer. Just a little bit at least. Maybe Potter won't be so annoying this year. Perhaps now that we'll be seeing each other more often, we'll possibly become friends. Okay, that might be saying too much. Maybe by the end of the year, I'll be able to tolerate him better. Just blame your bad mood on Petunia. She's the reason the family is all stressed out. It's all because of her wedding plans. Next summer, I'm being forced to go to her wedding. She's not too happy that Mum had to lecture her on the importance of family. At least I got out of having to help her with the preparations since I have school.

I looked at my watch. It was half-past eleven, and I was already bored! When did Professor Dumbledore say Potter and I should talk to the Prefects? Around noon I think... Hm, I wonder how Natasha's summer went.

"I never asked you how your father is holding up," I said, remembering her latest family dilemma.

"Not too good," Natasha replied, putting aside her book while crossing her legs. "Ever since Mum went on the run, I've barely seen him at home. He goes back and forth from the Ministry and home, trying to convince the Minister that Mum isn't working for You-Know-Who."

"It'll all work out in the end," I assured her. "Your mum is too nice to be working for the evil side! Anyway, you've still got to talk to Sirius. If you don't tell him you like him, how will he ever know when to make the first move?"

"Yeah, well," she mumbled, fidgeting with her hands. "I'm not talking to him first. If he likes me, he'll have to do the talking. Besides! You know by the end of the year you'll be going out with Potter. You secretly fancy him!"

"No I don't!" I hissed. "That was only the first week of school in the first year, before he showed his true side. I didn't know any better!"

"Yeah, sure," she teased. "You know you can't resist that smile of his."

"Oh, you better quit dreaming or else I'll have you in St. Mungo's by the end of the year if you keep bringing that up!" I argued for what felt like the hundredth time.

I looked at my watch again, out of habit, thankful for an excuse that it was about time to go find Potter. So I left my thoughts as I walked down to the end of the train where James and the rest of the 'Marauders' were sitting.

They look pretty busy. What could they be working on this early in the day? Peeking through the glass window into their compartment, I saw James and Sirius sitting cross-legged on their seat, a bunch of papers spread out between them. James was quickly scribbling on one of the parchments, while Sirius chattered away. Peter was leaning so far in his seat opposite them that it looked like he was going to fall any minute, and Remus was tucked in the corner by the window next to Peter, reading a book. I knocked on the compartment door, causing James and Sirius to jump and grab all their papers in a hurry.

"Potter, we need to gather up the Prefects," I announced, while also trying to catch a glimpse at one of their papers. I caught the word 'Operation' before Sirius caught me looking and quickly stuffed the parchment behind his back. Ugh, this better not have anything to do with me!

"Oh, I love the sound of authority from her first thing in the morning," Potter joked to his friends.

"Let's get one thing straight, Potter, before we get to school," I demanded, already getting annoyed by him. "I don't know what Professor Dumbledore was thinking when he appointed you as Head Boy. So a word of advice: don't make me go insane by the end of this year."

"I'll try not to," he replied, looking smug to his friends.

I rolled my eyes and thought to myself, This is going to be a long year.
Chapter Endnotes: Just finished chapter two and having it read over by my beta so it should hopefully be up soon!