Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Operation: Lily by siriusly_confused

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Lily's point of view.
"Any questions before we release you all?" Potter asked finally after we had explained everything the Prefects needed to know. They shook their heads, eager to get back to their friends and wait for the lunch trolley to pass by. "Alright, see you back at the castle then."

The Prefects filed out of the small compartment, leaving James and I alone for the first time. I immediately tensed for the worst.

"Would you do me a favor, Evans?" Potter asked me while taking a seat.

I sat opposite him and sighed. Here goes rejection number what? One hundred? Two hundred? When will the message get through that thick skull of his? "For the seventh year in a row, my answer will still be no. I will not go out with you, Potter."

Potter smirked. "Can't stop thinking about me, Evans? I actually was not going to ask you out."

"We –Well –” I stammered, blushing while trying to think up an excuse.

"What I was about to say before you interrupted me," Potter continued, leaning back in his seat, still smirking in spite of himself, "was if Natasha might have revealed to you if she fancied Sirius."

"What's it to you if she fancies him or not?" I asked, narrowing my eyes suspiciously.

"Oh, it's nothing to me at all except my best mate's happiness," he replied innocently. "While Sirius was finding a compartment for us, he just happened to overhear someone mentioning his name. So, naturally, he was curious to know what was being said about him. It took a few seconds before it clicked that they were talking about Natasha who fancied him."

"No one else knows Natasha fancies him besides me and her!" My hand flew to my mouth in shock. I did not just let Potter know Natasha fancies Sirius!

"Sirius will be interested to know that."

"You better not breathe a word to Sirius or else I'll –"

"You'll what?" Potter laughed. "I've heard all your threats before and how many of them have you actually carried out?"

"I should be going back to Natasha," I announced, standing up from my seat. "She'll be wondering why I've been gone so long."

"Yes, why don't you do that," Potter replied, standing up as well. "I might as well leave too, seeing as how Sirius has some news to hear."

As there was nothing else I could say or do, I stalked out of the compartment to the middle of the train where I found Natasha eating a sandwich. She looked up as I slid open the door and "accidentally" slammed it shut.

"Oh that Potter gets me so frustrated!" I exclaimed, dropping down in my seat before standing back up, raising my hands up in distress. "He knows just how to catch me off guard."

"What happened?" Natasha's sandwich lay forgotten as she looked up at me eagerly. "Did he kiss you?"

"No! Thank Merlin he didn't try that!" I scoffed. Sitting down, guilt flooded me and I quietly said, "I accidentally let him know you fancied Sirius."

"You what?" she choked, eyes bulging wide.

"I'm so sorry, Natasha!" I cried, the words rushing out of me. "It's just, Potter told me Sirius heard from someone that you fancied him and the next thing I knew, I blurted out to Potter that only I knew you did."

Her mouth dropped wide as she whispered, "What did Potter say in response?"

"After I admitted that, he said that Sirius would be interested to know. So that's got to mean he likes you back, right?"

"I don't know. But Lily, what if he doesn't? I'll feel awkward and I'll have to avoid him!"

"It's never awkward unless you make it."

"Well, I guess I would have told Potter anything too, being under his spell and all."

"I was not under his spell!" I huffed, crossing my arms and uncrossing them as I sat trying to think of something else to talk about. I took out my small lunch for the train ride and began to eat quietly when a knock on the compartment door startled Natasha and me. To my curiosity and Natasha's horror, it was Sirius.

He slid the door open, leaning casually against the wall before saying, "So Natasha, I hear you fancy me?"

I buried myself into a book, glancing at Natasha who sat stammering.

"I'll take that as a yes." Sirius grinned. Straightening himself, he added, "I'll save you a seat at the feast tonight."

With a flash of a smile and a wink, he left, closing the door behind him. Meanwhile, Natasha tried her best not to hyperventilate.

"Breathe, Natasha! Breathe!" I laughed.

"I can't believe... Lily, I love you for telling James that!"

Natasha squealed, jumping up to hug me.

"I know I'm great." I grinned and shrugged.

"I get to sit next to him tonight! Oh, I can't wait!" she exclaimed. "I bet James is going to be happy."

"Why?" I asked, scowling at the mention of his name.

"You know he's going to try to sit next to you," she continued, off in her dream world, "and he'll ask you out."

"Sure," I snorted. "And I'll just reject him again."

Or has he really moved on from me? This afternoon it seemed that he had but that could have been my mistake. Wait, do I actually care?

~~

"Welcome back, everyone, to another year at Hogwarts! And good evening to those here for their first year!" Professor Dumbledore exclaimed as he raised his hands and everyone clapped.

"I see Natasha and Sirius are getting quite along," a voice whispered in my ear, causing me to jump. Ugh, Potter. "That could be us, you know, if you'd just let me take you on a date and see how good we are together."

"Unlike Natasha," I hissed, "I like my men smart and polite."

"Well if it isn't your lucky day!" Potter grinned. "I just happen to be both those charming qualities."

"Polite?" I laughed, lowering my voice as students began to be sorted. "You couldn't be polite for more than an hour."

"You want to bet?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I ignored him, pretending to take interest in the newly picked Gryffindor who was making his way to the long table. I clapped with the others then turned my attention to Natasha who was sitting across from me, laughing at something Sirius must've said. To my dismay, his arm was wrapped around her waist. In my defense, someone should look out for Natasha. Sirius is known around the school to be "fast" with girls. I just don't want her innocence to be ruined by someone like Sirius.

The Sorting ended and food magically appeared on the table: my favorite part of the night.

"Hey Natasha –" I stopped short on the fact that she wasn't paying any attention to me. I sighed and began to pile onto my plate what food was left after James and his friends attacked the golden plates full of the best food you could imagine. I do wish she would pay a little attention to me. I am her best friend after all.

“Have a good summer, Lily?” Remus asked.

“It was quite enjoyable,” I replied. “If you don’t count my sister’s bother about her upcoming wedding.”

“Have you made arrangements with Professor Dumbledore so you could go?” Remus suggested.

“No,” I laughed. “I would rather let Potter kiss my hand.”

“I never thought I’d hear Lily say my name in the same sentence as the word kiss.” Potter jerked up in his seat at the thought.

There was the Potter I knew.

“Don’t get your hopes up, Potter,” I quipped. “I was just trying to make my point. I’d rather bathe in dragon dung then let you kiss my hand.”

Sirius took his attention off Natasha long enough to laugh at that. “Sorry, mate. Looks like you’re never going to get the girl at this point.”

Potter scowled and returned to his food, mumbling, “You’ll see.” I ignored him and turned my attention back to Remus. By this point the food disappeared and mountains of cakes, pies, and gelatin appeared.

“Did you have a good summer, Remus? You look a bit peaky at the moment.”

“It was fun, yes. James and Sirius came to visit me a few times. I’m afraid I caught something nasty though over the break.”

“Have you gone to see Madam Pomfrey? It might be something she could cure right away.”

“I’m afraid it’s something that takes a while to cure…”

Professor Dumbledore stood up once again to leave us with parting words. Up and down the tables the first years were yawning, half-asleep in their seats.

"This is definitely the best welcoming feast!" Natasha exclaimed, making me jump.

"Oh, now you talk to me!" I said, stifling a yawn.

"Sorry, I was distracted! Anyway, I just wanted to say goodnight. See you tomorrow, okay?”

"Okay, goodnight."

I watched her pull on Sirius' sleeve and they left the hall together. Probably up to no good. I stood up waiting for Potter to finish his conversation with his friends so I could tell him I was off to patrol the halls. Come on Potter, I thought, I want to go to bed soon! The room was slowly starting to quiet with only the older students still behind saying goodnight.

"Come on, Potter," I growled, grabbing his sleeve. "Let's start patrolling the halls before it gets too late."

"Feisty, are we?" Potter smirked. Then to Remus and Peter, he said, "I think she likes me."

I rolled my eyes, "In your dreams, Potter. Let's go!"

Potter leaned in closer to his friends and I couldn’t help but try to discreetly lean in as well. I caught him finishing his sentence with, “step one: completed.” What is he up to now? I rolled my eyes, waiting for him to finally say goodnight, and we left in silence. As we climbed the staircase, the portraits all around us were snoring. At the first corridor, I left Potter without a word. It was eerily silent as I continued walking around alone in the castle. Every few minutes, I checked my watch; the hour hand seemed to slowly make its way past eleven. I guess I should make my way back to the Common Room. I wonder if Potter is still patrolling or if he went to bed early. I made my way up the stairs slowly only to find that Potter was just a bit ahead of me, mumbling the password to the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Hold up!" I called, as I quickened my pace.

"Yes, Lily?" Potter turned to me, as if he was giving me his undivided attention.

"I just wanted to make it before the portrait closed!” I rolled my eyes as I pushed past him to get inside.

It was so nice to be back at Hogwarts. The warm fireplace gave just enough light to reveal the comfy chairs placed around it; a few sleepy Gryffindors were still up, either half-asleep at a desk or curled up on a poufy chair.

"Well, I think I'm going to head up to bed," Potter said, breaking the silence.

"Me too," I yawned.

An uncomfortable moment passed before I mumbled a goodnight and walked up the stairs to my own Head room. As I opened the door, candles flickered into being, illuminating the surroundings. A huge four-poster bed was facing me with my trunks at the foot of the bed. Quills and ink lay upon a desk and there was even a small love-seat on the opposite wall from the desk. I even had my own bathroom! I sat on my bed, feeling content at the moment.

Yes, this year will be unforgettable.