Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Operation: Lily by siriusly_confused

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry for the long wait! I hope the wait is worth it!

I never would have expected the year to turn out like this, I thought, going through the motions of getting ready before breakfast. Potter doesn’t like me and Natasha hasn’t talked to me in days. This is supposed to be the best year of my life! How can it be when there are Death Eaters destroying shops and killing people? I need to do something...

A knock on my door startled me. Pulling on my school robe, I cracked the door open.

–Lily!” Natasha cried, pushing her way inside. She walked to the edge of my bed and sat down, breaking into sobs.

–Natasha!” I exclaimed, hurrying over to her side. I put an arm around her as she tried to stifle her tears.

–It-It’s a letter from my Auntie Rose,” she said, pulling out a piece of parchment from her robe. –R-read it.”

I quickly scanned it. My heart kept sinking with each word as I re-read the brief letter in case I missed something.

–He’s gone!” she proclaimed, breaking into a fresh wave of tears. –My dad! Auntie Rose was supposed to come over for dinner last night because she has been keeping him company since Mum left. The house wasn’t ravaged or anything but there was no sign of Dad. No note, just gone.”

–What if he’s just gone in to hiding somewhere?” I suggested, rubbing her back consolingly but that only brought another wail.

–Hiding?” she gasped. –From who? My mum? Since she left everyone says she’s on the ‘dark side’ but that can’t be true!”

–Your mum can’t be working for Death Eaters,” I said, shaking her shoulders. –Maybe your dad is finally going to look for her. Maybe he’s trying to help bring her back.”

–I don’t know,” she cried, defeated as she lay back on my bed. –Lily, you’re like a sister to me. We can’t fight again.”

–I know,” I agreed. I stood up, pulling her with me. –I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said. I’m happy for you to be dating Sirius.”

–You mean it?” she asked, sitting up and wiping her tears.

–Yes,” I replied, while my stomach grumbled. –Can we go get breakfast now?”

–Give me a second,” she sniffed, wiping her nose as I grabbed my schoolbooks. –I don’t want Sirius to see me looking like this.”

Natasha wiped her eyes and quickly combed her hair with her fingers. Her eyes were still red but there wasn’t much she could do about that. Putting on a brave face she stood up and followed me out the door.


"Sirius!” Natasha exclaimed as we found him and Potter walking towards us. –Why weren’t you at breakfast and Transfiguration class?”

Natasha had missed Sirius at breakfast, and while it wasn’t uncommon for the –Marauders” to miss class now and then, it was still only the first week of classes.

–We were visiting Remus in the hospital wing,” Sirius answered from Natasha’s side, putting an arm around her shoulder as we walked together to Herbology.

–How is he doing?” I asked, truly concerned because Remus was the only one in their group I could stand.

–He woke up from the Draught of Peace yesterday,” Potter answered from Sirius’ side, surprising me as I had forgotten he was there. Potter usually tries to walk next to me in his attempts to woo me. My right side felt empty without him there… Shouldn’t that be a good thing?

–Then why is he still in the hospital wing?” Natasha asked, looking to Sirius for an answer.

–He’s still ill,” Potter continued. –Madame Pomfrey thought it best he stay a few more nights until he is well enough for classes again.”

–Poor Remus,” I noted, –he always seems to be sick.”

–He was born with a weak immune system,” Sirius replied. –That’s why he’s always ill.”

–Oh,” Natasha said, joining in. –Isn’t there a potion he could take to make him feel better before he gets too ill?”

–He’s better off resting in the hospital wing,” Sirius answered with a final note in his voice on the topic. –So, babe,” he addressed Natasha, –I’m going to have to cancel our little rendezvous tonight. I’ll make up for it tomorrow?”

He stopped to kiss her quickly on the mouth, leaving her flustered before replying, –Oh, okay then.”

We reached greenhouse two on time, following the Ravenclaw’s inside. After our arrival, Professor Sprout immediately began the lesson on preparing us for our N.E.W.T.s.

–I still don’t know why I’m taking this class,” Natasha whispered to me while Professor Sprout wasn’t looking. –I won’t need it once I’m working with my Auntie Rose for the magazine "Wizard Entertainment". After that, I’ll hopefully be married to Sirius and raising our three little boys…”

I rolled my eyes at her as she sighed, picturing her future. I kept my mouth shut instead of impressing on her my doubts of Sirius bothering to settle down.

–…And we’ll live in the countryside next to you and Potter,” she continued, when I quickly glared at her. –In a perfect world you would be married to him, you know that would be true…”

I shook my head at her, bringing my attention back to Professor Sprout, who was still going on about how we should take out N.E.W.T.s very seriously. Soon everyone’s attention was captured by what looked like a fourth year running towards our greenhouse.

–P-P-Professor,” the student wheezed upon racing up to our teacher. He doubled over, hands on his knees while he caught his breath. Everyone looked around at each other as if someone knew what the excitement was about. Then the student stood up straight and with his regained breath said, –Professor McGonagall wants to see James Potter.”

Everyone’s eyes landed curiously on Potter. He seemed unsure of why he would be summoned but after Professor Sprout told him to get a move on he merely shrugged his shoulders. After a quick glance at Sirius, he left, leaving everyone to chatter about what he could be wanted for.

–I bet it’s to do with a prank he and those Marauders were going to pull in a few days,” a tall Ravenclaw girl speculated to her friend.

–Oy!” Sirius called, startling the girl. –We didn’t plan anything!”

–I bet it just has to do with Quidditch,” a Ravenclaw whispered to his friend. –McGonagall’s been obsessing over Gryffindor keeping their winning streak.”

Natasha and I shook our heads at all the assumptions going on around us. I couldn’t help but wonder myself why Professor McGonagall would want to pull Potter out of class. Professor Sprout had to shout a few times to calm everyone down but throughout the rest of class time, you could still hear a few people gossiping.

At the end of class Natasha and I followed Sirius up to the castle for lunch. Poor Peter was lagging behind us trying to get a word in with Sirius, but he paid Peter no attention. We sat down at the Gryffindor table but Potter wasn’t back yet. He couldn’t have gotten into serious trouble with Professor McGonagall already?

–Sirius?” Natasha asked, interrupting him from taking a bite out of his roast beef sandwich. –Do you know why Professor McGonagall would want to see James?”

Since Sirius and I weren’t on the best of terms since our last private conversation, I pretended to pay attention to the back of a Daily Prophet the girl across from me was reading.

–I really have no idea,” he replied honestly. –Everyone is so worked up about it but I doubt it is anything important. Maybe it has to do with some Head stuff.”

–Wouldn’t she have asked for Lily then, too?” Natasha asked, glancing at me.

–I had nothing to do with it,” I answered, going back to my meat pie.

Potter did show up to our class after lunch. He sat next to Sirius, as he usually does, looking normal. So for whatever reason he was gone, it couldn’t have been that bad. The gossip from earlier in Herbology seemed to have been forgotten. A part of me wanted to ask but Potter and I haven’t exactly been on speaking terms the past few days. Of course there was still Head duties, but Potter managed to speak minimal amount of words to me. Maybe tonight I could change that and we could have an actual conversation.


I looked at my watch a little impatiently. It was shortly after nine o’clock, just the time to start patrolling the corridors. Potter was still nowhere to be found! Walking over to the plump, comfy chairs by the fire I took a seat to wait for Potter. I watched the minute hand on my watch slowly make its way to the thirty minute mark and sat up. Potter obviously was not going to show up for Head duty tonight. Just when I was on the verge of being nice to him, this is how he repays me! By skipping out on Head duty, thus leaving me to patrol the corridors of Hogwarts alone. He was going to hear from me tomorrow…


–Potter!” I exclaimed, stopping him in his tracks as I pulled on his robe. –Just wait one minute! I need to talk to you!”

–Yes, Lily?” Potter asked, turning around to face me with an innocent look on his face.

–Where were you last night? Did you forget about our Head duties?” I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. –So much for the responsibility Professor Dumbledore must have thought he had,” I added silently in my head.

–No I didn’t, and I was out,” he simply replied, unfolding my fingers from his robe. He continued walking to breakfast with his mates as if I had never stopped him.

–Oh that- that-,” I started, fists clenched by my side, –that prat!”

–Who’s a prat?” Natasha asked, joining me in the common room.

–Just Potter,” I replied, shaking my head. –He skipped out on patrolling last night.”

–Just you wait,” Natasha said, taking my arm in hers and leading me down to breakfast. –You two are going to make such a lovely couple.”

–Over my dead body,” I growled.


–Are you ready to do our nightly rounds, Evans?” Potter asked as I came out of my room.

I jumped, not expecting Potter to be standing outside my door. He laughed at me while I pushed past him.

–I’m always ready,” I retorted, making my way to the portrait hole. –Unlike somebody who doesn’t know what responsibility means.”

–Hey!” he exclaimed, walking faster to catch up to me. –Last night was the only time I skipped. You don’t need to give me such a hard time about it.”

–Then why were you skipping?” I asked, turning to face him. I crossed my arms waiting for an answer. –There must be a pretty good reason behind it.”

–That is none of your business,” he replied, continuing to the stairway.

–Potter!” I called walking after him. –You will answer me right now!”

–Why?” he asked, not bothering to stop.

–I’m Head Girl!” I answered, catching on to his sleeve to stop him from moving any farther.

–What has that got to do with anything?” he asked stopping. He stood uncomfortably close to me.

–We have duties,” I replied, taking a step back. –We’re supposed to be good examples for students and we can’t be skipping out on our responsibilities.”

–No one watches our patrol,” he said, rather testily. –So I don’t think anyone will notice my bad example.”

–Then where were you?” I asked, repeating my earlier question.

–Like I said, it’s none of your business.”

–Why can’t you tell me?”

–Because I just can’t, Evans. Can you please drop it?”

–Okay then what did Professor McGonagall want from you yesterday?”

He sighed, –Can we stop the one hundred questions please?”

–Is something wrong? Why would she want to see you?”

–Evans!” he exclaimed, annoyed. –She wanted to see how I was doing, that’s all.”

–Why would she want to do that?” I asked curiously.

–Death Eaters keep harassing my family, trying to get my father to join them. My family might have to go into hiding and they’re worried Death Eaters might come after me too. Are you happy now?”

–No,” I answered softly, shocked at this news.

–I’m going to go patrol down this corridor,” he said, pointing to the right.

–Potter, wait!” I called after him as he started to walk away. He raised a hand as if waving me away.

I really did it this time, I thought to myself sadly. All those years we’ve been to school together, all those years he’s chased after me… Now he’s got bigger things to worry about then asking me out. I need to fix this somehow. We can’t spend the rest of the year like this, or worse, ignoring each other.


–Lily?” Natasha asked, waving a hand in front of my face. –Lily?”

–Sorry,” I said, shaking my head to clear away my thoughts. –What’s up?”

–I was trying to ask if you wanted to go down by the lake to do our Transfiguration essay,” she said, sitting up straighter in her seat. –Sitting in the library isn’t helping me focus, not when it looks so sunny outside the window.”

–That sounds like a good idea,” I agreed, noticing the clear blue sky. –A bit of air may motivate us. It’s too stuffy in here.”

We stood up and packed up our parchment and books on Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall had assigned us a particularly long essay to write, all in preparation for our N.E.W.T.s, she had said. Next week, we would be learning the theory of animagi, a particularly hard transformation, but to the dismay of many classmates, we would not ourselves attempt to become one.

By the time we were reaching the grounds, the sun disappeared behind some clouds. Students began to rush past us, knocking my bag to the stone floor.

–What’s going on?” Natasha asked me, holding her books tightly to her chest. She stopped a fellow seventh year and asked, –Where’s everyone going?”

–There’s about to be a fight at the Whomping Willow!” she answered excitedly.

–Between who?” Natasha asked, not letting go of her sleeve yet.

–The Marauders and that Slytherin they always fight with!”

I looked at Natasha, who looked just as excited as everyone else.

–Come on, lets go!” she said, pulling me along.

We ran towards the Whomping Willow where a ring of students surrounded the Marauders and Severus. My stomach twisted in knots as I watched them taunting each other. Severus used to be so nice. Why did he have to turn bad?

–On your period again, Remus?” Severus asked, taunting poor Remus who was shoved behind Potter and Black. –Missing classes because you’re too ill? Or does a full moon have something to do with it?”

–Shut up!” Potter yelled, pointing his wand at Severus. –Shut up or you’ll regret every word coming out of that ugly mouth of yours.”

–I don’t think you want to duel me, Potter,” Severus drawled, pointing his wand at Potter. –Like you, I have reinforcements.”

Four of his fellow Death Eater friends joined Severus from out of nowhere, standing behind him with their wands pointing at the Marauders.

–Like we’d ever be scared of you,” Black jumped in, stepping closer gripping his wand tight.

–Like we’d ever be scared of you,” Evan Rosier mimicked. –Come on, Snape, when are we going to teach these stupid boys a lesson?”

–Oh I think soon enough,” Severus answered.

They all began to circle one another, never taking their eyes off each other. Oddly enough, Peter was nowhere to be found while Remus, not usually a participant in Potter and Black’s duels stuck close behind them, ready to attack.

–Try out your new spell, Snape,” Wilkes said, egging him on.

–Yeah, Snape, try it out,” Rosier agreed, laughing.

Severus looked around at the crowd, not quite smiling, but close. Severus stopped smiling years ago.

–Let’s show these students exactly why they shouldn’t mess with us,” Severus said, on the verge of shouting a spell.

I couldn’t take watching anymore. I couldn’t stand that Severus dabbled in the Dark Arts. Worst of all, I couldn’t stand by watching Potter get hurt.

–James!” I shouted, breaking the ring of bystanders as I ran towards him.

–Lily?” he said, turning to face me in wonder of my random interruption of this duel.

It was at that exact moment that Severus took advantage of James’ unawareness that he shouted at James, –Sectumsempra!”

James fell to the ground, clutching his chest as blood started to ooze out of him. He stared at me in shock, then looked down at the blood and fainted. Black ran towards Severus, screaming and cursing at him but Severus only stared at me, crouching over James.

–How could you?” I said softly, looking up at Severus, unable to help the tears welling in my eyes.

–Snape,” Wilkes called, –we better leave.”

Remus and Sirius carried James to the hospital wing while Natasha ran to help me back up.

–Is he dead?” Natasha asked, face white with shock. –Is James dead?”

–I don’t think so,” I replied shakily. –I- I don’t know.”

–Well come on then,” she cried, pulling me up. –Let’s go follow the boys to the hospital wing.”

I stared at the space Snape was once standing, unbelieving that the boy who told me I was special, the boy who told me all about Hogwarts and made me feel better about Petunia calling me names, could do such dark magic. Worst of all I couldn't believe that he almost killed a student at school.