Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Burning for Revenge by the opaleye

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Give it up for my wonderful beta, Apurva! I couldn't have done this without your help :)
Chapter Four is here!!!
Draco lay, panting, on the floor. The cool stone felt good against his sweaty cheek. He moaned and rolled onto his back, clutching his left wrist. It burned…it burned…

*

It had been five years since the defeat of Voldemort by that precious Harry Potter. Draco’s lip curled up into a sneer as he thought of the man who had, unfortunately, saved his life. Twice. Now, as Draco stepped into his morning suit and checked (again) that Blaise had the wedding bands safely in his pocket, he would have to face Potter once more - on the day of his marriage, for heaven’s sake. He was a friend of his wife-to-be and, of course, he could not say no to her. He loved her.

Yes, it had been five years since the death of the Dark Lord. Five years since the wizarding world had been liberated from darkness and oppression - from terror and fear of death. Five years since Draco’s heavy heart had been lightened considerably. Five years since he had been given the opportunity to begin again - to piece together a new life of goodness, of integrity. And Draco had taken the chance with both hands. He had repented; he had commiserated; he had fallen in love with the most unlikely of people. With the most unsuitable of people.

As he stood, watching her walk slowly down the aisle with her father clutching onto her lace-enveloped arm, tears rolling down perfect, ivory skin and a smile as wide as any he had seen before, Draco breathed a quiet sigh of relief. He had done it. He had begun a new life. He was finally happy. Katie Bell looked up into his eyes, and the shadow of his past melted from his eyes, from his arms and shoulders and chest. From his heart.

Lucius had not approved of the match, but his father’s opinion had no standing in Draco’s life anymore. He would marry a half-blood if he wanted. And he did want, more than anything he had wanted in his life. This was his chance to say to all the world that yes, he had changed. Draco Malfoy could be trusted.

Draco’s work at the Ministry in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes as an Obliviator meant he and Katie could not spend too long on their honeymoon in the South Island of New Zealand. Katie was reluctant to return home, as she thoroughly enjoyed exploring the Southern Alps by broomstick, but Malfoy was not one to shirk in his duties and insisted upon returning.

So, they had returned to a now-empty Malfoy Manor. Narcissa and Lucius had moved to the family chateau in the Languedoc region of France, just outside of Carcassonne, a couple of years back to escape the accusatory stares of the wizarding population each time they ventured into the public eye. Draco had stayed. He was not going to live the remainder of his life in shame. He wanted to build a new life. And so he did. He did not tell his wife that Voldemort had once taken up residence in the imposing manor, nor did he reveal his Dark Mark until she had agreed to marry him. Katie was not surprised.

“I was wondering when you were going to show me,” she had admitted, as Draco pulled up the sleeve of his robe. His expression was blank.

“I wasn’t sure if…you would want me…if you had to see this every day, branded on my arm. A permanent reminder of what I once was.”

Katie smiled warmly and touched the mark. “Does it hurt?”

“Not for a very long time.”

But now Draco lay writhing beneath an ancient tapestry in the front parlour, clawing at his wrist. He had not felt this pain for over five years. What was happening to him? Were his parents also experiencing this? Who could he go to?

Only one name came to mind, and he hated himself for it. There was only one man he could trust with this. Only one in whom he could confide this appalling revelation.

Harry Potter.
Chapter Endnotes: This is my first ever attempt at a chaptered fic so please tell me what you think. Chapters one and two are in the works already.
Thanks so much to my beta, Apurva. You're awesome!