Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Realizing the Truth by theseventhweasley

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: ~~This is my first fanfic - so bear with me. Comments and reviews are appreciated. ( And obviously, JKR owns everything, not me. )~~
Light had just begun to bathe the girl’s dormitory in the Gryffindor tower as Hermione Granger woke with a start from a horrifying dream. No- she stopped- it wasn’t all horrible. There was joy in it too. Triumph “even passion; she began to blush at the thought.

She had a vivid dream that the final battle against Voldemort had taken place. His horcruxes destroyed, Voldemort had fought as a mortal against Harry and lost. He was finally dead. Hermione could only describe that part of the dream as sheer relief. It was all over. But, it has come at a cost - Fred, Lupin, Tonks, and so many others. Families broken apart forever. The remembrance of the pain made her shudder. She thought of poor Teddy being orphaned - never knowing his parents. It reminded her of Harry; tears swelled up in her eyes. No one deserved to grow up like that. Hermione sighed; at least it was only a dream. She knew losses were bound to happen in the last struggle “ but she hoped to God that no one she loved would be hurt.

Her thoughts fell immediately to Ron. There had been another part of her dream that didn’t seem to quite fit with the rest. Even within the fear and panic of the Last Battle, her mind still managed to find a way to fit her much-desired moment with Ron into her dream. Hermione smiled, wishing it to have been true. She could tell from the past few weeks that Ron may possibly have feelings for her too. Though the intensity and how soon those feelings would be expressed were all questions to her. Hermione had thought about coming right out and saying it numerous times, but it was so difficult and they really had to concentrate right now on helping Harry with the horcruxes. Romance could come later...she hoped. Hermione swelled, wishing she could be as brave as she was in her dream “ to just kiss Ron with all the passion she could muster and hope that he would agree enthusiastically. If only the right opportunity would present itself...

She took a deep breath and rolled out of bed. There was no point in going back to sleep now, and perhaps she could fit in some last minute preparation before they left Shell Cottage. As Hermione’s feet hit the floor she opened her eyes and took a look around, she was absolutely shocked to find herself beside her old four-poster bed in the Gryffindor dormitory.

Her eyes widened as a blur of vivid memories pounded her head like a floodgate. She collapsed on her bed, her mouth slightly open.

It was all true; the joy and the tragedy. It was all over “ Voldemort’s grasp on the world. This truly meant that everything had changed. Hermione was overcome with relief, and then quite suddenly writhing in sorrow; they really were gone. All those people she cared about.

Ron “ she had to see Ron, make sure he was okay. It became her only possessive thought as she dashed out of the bed and ran down the stairs in a flurry. She slowed up near the passageway to the common room, spotting a red-headed silhouette facing the fire, his head buried in his hands. A knot rose in her throat as Hermione realized that all of her dream was real “ including the kiss between her and Ron. Her body ached to be by him; to hold him and know that he was really there. That he was alive, that he wanted to be held by her too...

She had to talk to him about it. To make sure it wasn’t just a dream. To make sure it wasn’t just a moment they had. Because Hermione wasn’t interested in just a moment with Ronald Weasley, she knew very well that she wanted forever with him. She felt the need to make sure they were on the same page. But how? She could tell he was in pain. Right now they both needed comfort - words could come a little later.

Hermione took a deep breath and slowly strode over to where Ron was sitting, gently placing herself next to him. Ron didn’t move as she sat down or make any motion that he recognized she was there. He was hurting “ she could see that. Hermione put her arm around his shoulder to let him know that she was here to comfort him. His back heaved as she gently laid her arm across him and he let out a low moan. Hermione’s eyes began to fill. It hurt her to see Ron this way.

She was sure Fred’s death was especially hard on him. Fred’s death; she repeated the words in her brain. He was really gone. The Burrow wouldn’t be the same without the lovable Fred around. Tears began to drip down Hermione’s cheeks as she began to understand the enormity of the deaths of all the people who fought. It just wasn’t fair.

Ron lifted his hands from his face slowly and looked up to see Hermione staring back, her face damp with tears. He smiled as he saw her and reached in for a hug. They rested their heads on each other’s shoulders, holding on to one another as if it was the only thing tethering them to existence. Hermione never wanted to let go. Just holding Ron there in her arms helped ease all of her pain. She was still silently crying, her tears pouring on to his shoulder, though this time, not all her tears were of loss.

Minutes later “ or perhaps it was hours “ Ron broke the embrace.

“Thanks Hermione,” he mumbled sincerely. His eyes were moist. He took a deep breath and sighed. “It’s just so much to sort through. So much has happened.”

“I know,” Hermione agreed as she stifled back a sob and took Ron’s hand in her own and squeezed it. “I feel so relieved that the battle is finished “ that Voldemort is really gone. But...then...then I remember everyone who died fighting and I begin to feel guilty for being happy. Guilty that I’m still here...and they’re... not.”

“Guilty!?” Ron threw his arms up by his head, dropping Hermione’s hand back on her lap. She was taken aback, embarrassed for being open with him and disappointed that they were no longer holding hands. She suddenly felt empty inside. If only he’d hold her again...just to be certain that he was real. Her doubts about the kiss began to flood her and her eyes began to fill.

Ron’s tone suddenly turned tender as he reached both hands on either side of Hermione’s face and looked deep into her eyes. “Hermione, the last thing you should feel is guilt. Yes, it is terrible, but they died fighting for what’s right “ and we won’t “ we can’t - let them die in vain. It’s ok to feel happy.” At these last words Ron pulled Hermione into his arms again and kissed her forehead “I’m here with you,” he whispered and then began lightly stroking her hair.

At his last words, all the barriers Hermione had imagined between her and Ron were thrown down and she began sobbing, overcome with emotion.

“Oh Ron!” Hermione exclaimed pulling Ron in closer. “I was so scared! If anything had happened to you...” she couldn’t even finish the thought.

“I feel the same way Hermione. You are the only thing getting me through this, you know.” Hermione pulled back at these words and looked in his eyes and as she did so, Ron began to lean forward towards her, his lips gently brushing hers.

Hermione’s heart leapt in her chest as she pulled Ron closer and deepened the kiss. When they eventually pulled apart, Hermione laid in his arms feeling triumphant. Perhaps now was the moment she was waiting for to confront Ron. She began to open her mouth but before she said anything Ron sighed, “I’m so glad I’m here with you.” Hermione smirked. She loved the way he said that.

“Promise me something?” Ron began.

“Hm?”

“Never leave me.”

Hermione looked up at Ron, her heart nearly exploding and whispered “I promise.”

She lay in Ron’s arms the rest of the morning, finally realizing the truth. There was no need to confront Ron about anything; he had answered the question to all her doubts in just those three words. Hermione knew that as long as she was with Ron, they could make it through just about anything.