Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From Here On Out by luinrina

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Disclaimer:
I do not own Isla or Bob or the universe. Sadly. I just borrowed them from J.K. Rowling. Savaric is mine, though.

The song, Decode, I don’t own either. Paramore does. *nods* Great music.


This story is a companion piece to my chaptered story Shining Through Blackness. Whilst From Here On Out can stand alone, I recommend reading Shining Through Blackness to better understand the broader implications.
Chapter Notes: I want to thank my uber fast but thorough beta Apurva (DracoGurlFurever) *squishes* and LiLu (LilyLunaPotter) as well as Riham (padfoot_returns) for their title suggestions. *hugs fellow badgers*

This story was inspired by the prompt "change" and written for SPEW 007 (June 2009).

Enjoy. :)

How can I decide what’s right?
When you’re clouding up my mind
I can’t win your losing fight,
All the time

‘Good night, Isla. See you tomorrow morning.’

‘Night, Bob,’ I said, sending him a smile. He returned it and bent down to kiss me, but I backed away a bit. For a moment, I didn’t dare meet his eyes; when I finally did, I saw the disappointment in them. ‘I am sorry,’ I whispered, ‘but give me some time to get used to… our relationship.’

‘Isla –’ he began, but I interrupted him.

‘Besides, Savaric and I are still engaged.’

He sighed heavily. ‘Right.’ He stuffed his hands into his pockets, not even trying to hide his feelings. ‘See you tomorrow, then.’ His tone was rather rough, and he left abruptly.

‘Yes.’

I stood still for several minutes, watching him retreat down the corridor before he turned left and out of my line of sight, not once looking back. Seeing him go, his back slightly slumped, made my heart ache. I knew I was in love with him. I knew he was the only right choice for me to have a happy life, especially after everything that had happened. But it was no easy choice to make. Savaric and I were still connected by sacred vows. I had sworn on the spirits of nature to be his and his alone. Could I now simply revoke the promises I had made? According to law – and not the one made by the Ministry – breaking holy vows meant death. I would die doing so. And I would surely bring death on Savaric as well. Could I risk it? Did I really want Savaric to be harmed only for me to be happy? Though, coming to think of it, would I be able to have a happy life, a happy ending if I was dead?

The answer would be a definite no.

With a grave sigh, I closed my eyes and turned around towards my own common room.

The corridors were empty and quite dark. Sporadic torches on the walls were the only source of light, and it was more eerie than anything else. My steps on the stony floor caused an echo; they adapted my heartbeat as their rhythm. It was oddly comforting and allowed my thoughts to wander freely. They turned back to Savaric and Bob.

I would have to make a decision, no matter what. And I would have to make it soon. If I decided for Robert, I would face death, according to law; after all, I would break the vows. If I decided for Savaric, I would live, but was a life at Savaric’s side what I wanted? Would it be living, or merely existing? He was a good man; I knew it. He had his faults – I could not deny that – but I had my flaws as well, as did Robert. No one was perfect. But I could reach for perfection, and my life would be perfect with Bob; I knew that, too. I felt it. Savaric and I might arrange ourselves, but it would not be what my heart ached to do. I would always long for Robert.

The common room was nearly deserted when I entered. Of course, many of the students were with their families over the Easter holidays. Only a handful had stayed in the castle, among them many seventh years. We needed to study for the year-end exams, and where better to do so than in school?

‘Isla.’

How can I ever own what’s mine,
When you’re always taking sides
But you won’t take away my pride,
No, not this time,
Not this time

‘Isla.’

Hearing her name, she turned towards its origin, and eventually, our eyes met. She stood still for a while, not acknowledging that I had called her. Had she seen me at all? But from what I saw in her eyes, she did recognise me. I thought I could hear her thoughts, but her mask was in place, perfectly covering anything she was feeling or thinking. It annoyed me, but at the same time, I felt proud of her. I still remembered the days in our first year at Hogwarts, when she used to daydream a lot. She was easily readable, an open book in which I could find any information I wanted and needed.

But, upon growing up, she had learned to wear the mask all pure-bloods wore. The seemingly coldness made her even more beautiful than she already was by appearance.

A true Black princess.

I smiled, knowing that she was my princess.

Her head did a sudden jerking motion, and she took a deep breath. A strange feeling of unease swept over me. I was somehow sure that Isla was the cause of it.

She slowly, gracefully, walked over to the fireplace, to me. I rose from the armchair I sat in, facing her.

‘I need to talk to you,’ she said, her voice firm, confident.

I furrowed my forehead; it was unusual for her to not greet me. What was going on in her head? I wished I could read her in that moment, like I had been able to years ago. The only thing I got from her was determination; it radiated off of her in strong waves. My heart squirmed, and the strange feeling intensified. My stomach felt heavy. ‘I will listen.’

She walked past me and sat down in an armchair, away from me. Her gaze was locked on the fireplace. ‘I made a decision, and no matter what you are going to say, I will not change it.’

I remained standing. ‘What are you talking about?’

Her fingers started playing with each other. A flicker of light that was reflected from her hands caused me to take a closer look; she was playing with the ring I presented her with on her fifteenth birthday.

‘Isla?’

She sat back and looked at me. Her eyes were hard, the cold grey causing anxious shivers to run down my back. ‘I am going to marry Robert Hitchens,’ she finally said. Her voice was quieter than before, but still strong.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a second, trying to comprehend her words. ‘What?’

‘You heard me. I will marry Robert Hitchens, not you.’

My eyes met hers. ‘You swore an oath –’

‘– which I hereby revoke.’

The silence that fell was absolute. Not even the cracking of the fire in the grate could penetrate the tenseness that filled the common room.

‘I will not allow it.’ Who did she think she was?

‘This is my decision and you cannot change it.’

‘You are mine!’ I said to her, louder than before. Clearly, this Mudblood had infected her with some twisted lies about what was right. How else would she talk of such nonsense?

She stood. ‘I am not to be possessed. I am human, not some goods.’

Her assumption was too much. I could not stop it; my hand reached back and gathered force, then collided with her cheek. Her head snapped back and she staggered, but she caught herself before falling. She turned to look at me, the expression in her eyes unreadable.

‘Is that all you can come up with? Beating me?’

The fury that had risen within me I could no longer control. I turned away from her in order to not accidentally harm – or worse, kill – her; my consciousness would not be able to deal with such a loss. But I had to let my anger out before I did something I would regret for the rest of my life. I therefore grabbed a vase and threw it through the common room. It met the wall and shattered into a thousand shards. The flowers came to rest on the floor as the water soaked the tapestry that hung where the vase had hit the wall. The fluid coloured the green even darker.

‘Impertinent!’ an aged wizard on one of the portraits cried, but I ignored him. I turned back to Isla, feeling a little bit calmer.

‘Is it because of this… truth you are searching for?’ This nonsense had set weird ideas into her mind, ideas she shouldn’t – needn’t – have.

‘Not only. And I do not have to search for it anymore.’ Pride was audible in her voice.

‘Have you found it?’ I asked with a sneer. What could be more important than a well-set marriage? I would provide her with everything she needed for the rest of her life. ‘What has Hitchens to offer that I have not?’ Did she not see that she needed me just as much as I needed her?

A small smile graced her lips. ‘Lack of materials is not the end of the world, Savaric,’ she said – lectured, more like. Her tone was so… all-knowing.

I brushed aside her words with a dismissive sound, then challenged, ‘What if I did not speak of money or goods in general?’

She was unperturbed. ‘If you are referring to emotions, then I have to say that I do feel for Robert.’

‘What, pity?’

‘No, love,’ she shot back.

I laughed. ‘Love is only for the weak, Isla. If you want to be powerful, you cannot admit emotions. They will only get in the way.’

‘Of what? What else do you want to reach besides having a happy life? And who ever said I wanted power?’

I narrowed my eyes. ‘You know damn well that your father will never allow this.’

‘My father has as much to say as you have. Which is nothing!’

Never had I dreamt she would dare to speak back at me like that. She was a daughter of the Blacks. She knew her place, she simply had to! I could not have fought for her in vain, not all those months and years!

‘Isla,’ I tried again after a moment, this time in an even more forced calm tone, ‘please see reason. You will ruin your life if you marry Hitchens. He is a Mudb— Muggle-born!’

‘What has blood to do with happiness? I love him, Savaric, realise that. Fate brought him and me together, and I can no longer fight against it.’ She looked me in the eyes for a long time, and suddenly, the expression in her grey orbs changed. She whispered, ‘You are envious.’

Had my mask slipped? Had she broken through my shield? It could not be. If Isla was able to read me, everyone would be able to. It would ruin me, and I could not let this happen. My pride did not allow it. I questioned, ‘What makes you believe that?’

How did we get here
When I used to know you so well
But how did we get here
I think I know

‘What makes you believe that?’

I smiled sadly. ‘You forget I’ve known you for years.’

His expression was sceptical. ‘That still does not explain what makes you believe I would be envious.’

I raised my hands, slightly frustrated, but what would I do? I could hardly strangle him, as much as I wished in that moment. Therefore, I let my hands fall back to my sides. The heavy sigh I could not suppress, however. ‘Savaric,’ I began, but faltered, at a loss for words. What would I tell him, anyway? My decision I had made and told him. There was nothing else I could do. I should not have to explain myself. I was seventeen, of age. I was an adult and could do what I pleased.

Savaric bypassed the distance between us and hugged me close to his chest in a sudden movement. I stiffened at first, but then relaxed into his hold. He smelled good, and his strong embrace gave me a feeling of security. Was it really the better way to go with Robert when I had Savaric? My family would never approve of Bob; Savaric was right. I would violate everything I had ever thought to be the only possible way, only to walk a path not I but someone else centuries ago had chosen. I was merely a reincarnation; I should not feel for someone just because both of us were part of an ancient legend. But I could not help the strong feelings I had for Robert. He meant something to me. He was important to me. Just as important as Savaric was – after all, I had known him since we were small children. We had shared so many moments, so many memories. I knew him so much more than I knew Bob, didn’t I?

What makes you so sure of that?

I had to, I just had to know Savaric better than Bob. He was like I, I was like he. We were both pure-bloods, children of powerful families. We were – apart from the gender – the same person!

What makes you so sure of that?

What made me? If I were honest, I had to admit that I no longer knew Savaric as well as I wished I would. As I needed to. As I did know him years ago. Why? How did this happen?

I found myself unable to produce a coherent thought.

‘Just how did we get here?’

The truth is hiding in your eyes
And it’s hanging on your tongue
Just boiling in my blood

‘Just how did we get here?’

To see her struggle with herself made my heart ache. I gulped down my feelings; I could not let them get in the way now. She needed me to be strong for her. I had to protect her.

She closed her eyes and leaned her head against my chest. Her hands came up and grabbed my arms. Her fingers clawed at my robes, tight, as if they intended to never let go anymore.

We stood like this for a long time. I did not care how long exactly, because all that counted was Isla. I wanted her to be happy. But the thought alone that she would choose this Mudblood over me let my blood boil in anger. He had nothing. He was no one. He would never be able to make Isla truly happy.

I sighed inwardly, then pried her fingers loose. I took her up and sat down with her in my lap. She was still hiding her face, but I would no longer have it. Gently, but determined, I brought her chin up until I could look her in the eyes. The purity of the emotions I was met with was overwhelming.

‘I love him, Savaric, with all I have, even my soul.’

But you think that I can’t see
What kind of man that you are,
if you’re a man at all

‘I love him, Savaric, with all I have, even my soul.’ I love him as much as I love you. But I couldn’t tell him, could I?

His expression darkened, his eyes grew colder. I had always thought the brown colour of his eyes radiated warmth, welcoming me with everything. But it seemed I was deceived. And still, I couldn’t believe that Savaric would be so narrow-minded. He had been so open, accepting whatever I told him.

What makes you so sure of that?

What had changed? Why? Even as I looked at him, trying to decipher what he thought and felt, the change was happening. Savaric was still hard to read, but I could see his impassive mask was starting to crack. He seemed unsettled. Was it me? Was I doing that to him? He had never before cracked. Why now?

A feeling of unease swept over me when I looked at his eyes. They were staring at me, a calculating feel to them; it was the same expression with which he looked at me when we were playing chess. He was planning something. Which moves did he envision? Playing chess with him meant I had to be especially attentive, for he had become a master at the game in the last months. He would be a master in his plans, as well, if I wasn’t careful.

There was only one chance to stop him.

‘It won’t work, Savaric, whatever you want to do.’

Well, I will figure this one out
on my own
(I'm screaming I love you so)
on my own
(my thoughts you can't decode)

‘It won’t work, Savaric, whatever you want to do.’

I smiled self-confidently. I would find a way. I had to. Isla belonged to me, no matter what. Our fates were intertwined, woven together in a net that no one could ever escape – and where no Mudblood had a place.

Isla and I belonged together.

I drew her close again, her face coming to rest in the crook of my neck. I breathed in her sweet scent, memorised how perfectly her slender figure fitted against my body. Memories of her sixteenth birthday swept through my mind, and the same glorious feeling of that special evening filled my senses and being. ‘You have no idea how much I love you, Isla,’ I whispered into her hair. And I meant it. She was my life, my soul. She meant the world to me. I couldn’t, I wouldn’t lose her.

She moved, detangling herself from me. Her soft eyes met mine, unreadable but determined. Did she try to read me? Did she want to hear my thoughts? That couldn’t happen. I must not allow her to decode me.

Ever.

‘Don’t.’

How did we get here
When I used to know you so well
Yeah
How did we get here
I think I know

‘Don’t.’

I was losing him; I felt how he slipped through my fingers, step by step. Was it too late? I tried reaching out for him, but no matter how far I would go to get him back, he had already moved too far away from me. It was impossible to repair the rift that was now between us. And it was deepening with every word we spoke. It hurt so much that it felt like I had tried to jump over the distance of the largest canyon, only to crash full force against the rocks on the other side.

And yet, I couldn’t give up so easily.

‘Savaric,’ I began, unsure of what to say. I didn’t want to lose him like that. I had chosen Robert over Savaric, but I still felt a lot for Savaric, more than I had ever realised. It needed me to make the final decision to feel what Savaric meant to me. And he meant a lot, if not the entire world to me. ‘Why? What happened? How did we get here?’

His gaze was piercing. ‘You honestly have to ask?’ His voice was cold, hard. What had become of his confession that he loved me?

‘Why?’ I asked again, in a whisper. ‘Why aren’t you fighting?’

His lips curled into a sneer. ‘Believe me I fought. I fought with everything I had, everything I could muster. But I had no chance. You yourself are responsible for this situation. Because you chose a Mudblood over me!’

He moved abruptly, moved to leave, unsettling me. I came to stand and stood immobile, unable to say or do anything to stop him from walking away from me like that.

Was it really all because of just me?

Do you see what we’ve done
We’ve gone and made such fools of ourselves

Do you see what we’ve done
We’ve gone and made such fools of ourselves

How did we get here?
Well, I used to know you so well Yeah Yeah

It couldn’t be. It just couldn’t be my entire fault. Savaric himself had done and not done a lot to cause the rift as well. He couldn’t just blame it on me!

What makes you so sure of that?

Tears started to roll down my cheeks, rendering me blind to everything around me. The common room vanished behind a veil of sorrow and pain. It tore at my heart, ripping it out of my chest with so much force it left me behind and unable to be healed. Had I now truly and forevermore lost Savaric, the one I was – still – engaged to? The one I knew nearly as long as I was old? The one with whom I had spent more time than with every other person I knew?

‘Savaric…’

I sank to the floor and didn’t get up for the next hours. I was shaken by wave after wave of tears, sobs, hiccoughs, and more tears. My fingers clawed into the carpet in front of the fireplace, but I didn’t feel it. The fire was slowly but steadily dying, but I didn’t prevent it. I had no strength left in me. Everything felt surreal.

Wrong.

‘Savaric…’

How did we get here
When I used to know you so well
I think I know
I think I know

It hurt me to see her like this, a picture of utter misery. I craved to rush over to her and help her up, soothe her and tell her that everything was going to be fine. But it wouldn’t. Not so easily. She needed to see it for herself. That was the only way I had to make her come back to me. To have her realise the things she had done wrong.

Isla needed to understand that I was the only one she could live with, to be happy with. I was the only one able to provide for her, for the rest of her life. And I was the only one able to love her like she deserved it.

‘Isla…’

I closed my eyes, wishing none of this had happened. I wished she had never met this Mudblood who was the real reason for this misery Isla was in. I wished she was in my arms so I could feel her against me and make her forget every single sorrow that wrinkled her forehead and clouded her clear grey eyes.

Her eyes were those of a person who was pure in their emotions in a way I had never seen before.

‘Savaric…’

Upon hearing my name, I looked at where she had sunken to the floor, where she was clawing at the carpet as if she was about to rip it apart. Like she had ripped apart my heart by making that decision. It was just wrong. She was a Black princess. She belonged to me, someone like her, someone who was able to stand beside her and strengthen her natural beauty. The Mudblood couldn’t do any of that. He would burn in her wake, drowning her in the aftermath. Isla would die like a flower in winter when it needed the sun and warmth of summer.

Just how did we get to this point?



There is something
I see in you

When I entered the Great Hall the next morning, Savaric was already sitting at his usual place. But, unlike usually, he was alone, sitting by himself. I spied Atreus and Servius a couple of seats away, talking quietly with each other; from time to time, one of them would shoot curious glances at Savaric – or me. Did they know what happened the previous night?

Voices came up from behind me, and I realised I was still standing in the doorway. I turned around slightly to see who it was. I thus caught Savaric staring at me. His expression was calm and reserved, but nonetheless hard and reproachful. I then knew he definitely blamed me for everything, fully. But I wouldn’t carry this burden alone, not as long as I knew that Savaric was partly to be blamed as well. He was as responsible for what happened between us as I was.

I straightened more, pride soaring through me. I had believed to not be able to live without Savaric, ever, but after seeing him like this that morning made it clear I very well could. I didn’t need Savaric – not when I had Bob.

‘Isla,’ Robert greeted me, his tone friendly but guarded; it had been him and a few of his housemates that I had heard arrive for breakfast. I broke Savaric’s stare and turned to Robert.

‘Good morning,’ I returned, not only addressing Bob, but the Hufflepuffs as well. ‘How are you?’

They looked at me a bit strangely, but I wasn’t insulted. Partly, I could even imagine how they felt having me greet them – I, a proud pure-blooded Black and Slytherin. Being spoken to by someone like me who used to ignore them for the majority of the last seven years was new to them.

‘Well,’ the Hufflepuff prefect – Ranulf Able, I believe his name was – began, ‘we’re quite good. How about you?’ He received an incredulous look from the other Hufflepuffs, but I ignored them.

‘I’m good, too. Thank you for asking.’

Bob took my hand. ‘Is everything all right?’ He scrutinised me – well, at least he tried to. He failed miserably.

I smiled. ‘Everything is fine, don’t worry.’

When Robert returned the smile, it was like the sun was rising, chasing away all the coldness and darkness that had ruled my life so far. I then knew for sure that it wasn’t just because he and I were the reincarnations of the main characters of a century-old legend that I felt drawn to him. Robert’s charm was what attracted me. It was his personality, his character.

Robert Hitchens had won my heart by just being himself.

My decision was made. It might kill me, but I wanted it – the relationship with Bob. I wanted it to become true. And I would start right away.

‘Do you mind if I join you for breakfast?’

It might kill me
But I want it to be true

Chapter Endnotes: Like it? Hate it? Please let me know your thoughts in a review. Thanks for reading. :)