Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Daddy's Little Girl by Sagen

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I would like to thank my wonderful beta, Russia Snow. Without her my story would probably be the welcome mat for the potions classroom. I am not JKR and I own nothing of this story except the things you don't reconize.
In every little girl’s life there is someone special –a role model. In Lily Evans’ it was her father.
________
1963.

The snow fell lightly on Primrose Lane as the sun came into view over the rooftops. Opening the door quietly, the dark haired man snuck into the room. He looked down at the little girl with her thumb in her mouth. Her breathing was slow as she slept. The man carefully picked up his daughter, resting her head on his shoulder. Her thumb fell out of her mouth, saliva dripping onto her father. Making his way down the stairs he could hear a Christmas carol floating softly from the living room.

He walked into the room which was beautifully decorated. A red and silver garland hung from the ceiling. On the couch sat a very anxious little girl vibrating with excitement beside her mother.

‘Lily,’ her father cooed, shaking her lightly.

The girl moaned and opened her eyes. She looked up at her father groggily then at her mother and sister. Her little fist came up to her face and rubbed her eyes. Her green eyes looked around the room, stopping on the tree. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

‘Mummy, can we open them now?’ asked Petunia looking up at the blonde haired woman.

‘Yes, honey. You can open them now,’ her mother told her smiling.

Petunia got up and ran to the tree. Lily looked up at her father, her eyes silently pleading to let her go too. He sat her down, his eyes twinkling. Lily hobbled over to where her sister sat. As she sat down Petunia handed her a gift.

‘Here, Lily, this is yours it’s from Daddy. You can open it,’ Petunia returned to the half-opened present in front of her.

Lily looked at the present and then at what her sister was doing. Her small fingers dug underneath the paper and pulled. The brightly coloured paper made a loud tearing sound. The little girl was overjoyed. She tore the remainder of it off to discover a box. She turned it over to see a teddy bear peeking through the plastic window. Lily looked at her father before standing up and heading toward him. He bent down and scooped her up.

‘Happy Christmas, Lily,’ he whispered.

________
1965.

Lily woke to the sound of her daddy knocking on the door. She rubbed her eyes with her fist before scooting out of bed and walking over to the door. She opened it, flashing her daddy a toothy grin.

‘Is it today, Daddy?’ Lily asked, suddenly not sleepy.

‘Yes, Lily. It is today,’ her father told her, looking down at her. ‘Get dressed then come down for breakfast. But honey, you have to be quiet, Petunia and Mummy are still sleeping.’

Her daddy went down stairs leaving Lily by herself. She hurried over to her old rocking chair that sat by the window and grabbed her clothes that her mummy had laid out the night before. She was so excited! Today was the day that her daddy was going to teach her how to fish.

Hurrying down the stairs Lily jumped the last step, landing in the kitchen. On the table was her favourite, jam on toast. She flung herself down on the chair in front of it, took a couple bites, before deciding that she wasn’t hungry.

‘Come on, Daddy!’ Lily said taking her father’s hand in her tiny ones. ‘Let’s go!’
________

Their wellies squished through the mud as they made their way to the river. Lily didn’t know how long they had been walking for but she was getting anxious. Soon she could see the river.

‘I see it! I see it!’ she cried rushing forward.

‘Come on now, Lily. Let’s get your fishing rod ready.’ Her father sat the tackle box down and pulled out a worm. He put the worm on the hook of the small fishing rod and passed it to his daughter. ‘Now what you need to do is cast the rod so the hook is far from the land. Good. Now you wait.’ He cast his rod out too and sat down.
________

‘Daddy!’ The little red-head whined. ‘This is boring! I haven’t caught a fish yet!’ She threw her fishing rod on the ground and huffed, ‘I quit!’

Mr Evans had to laugh at his daughter. There she stood barely up to his waist, her red-hair wild.

‘Daddy, this isn’t a laughing matter!’ Lily told him hands on her hips, ‘I haven’t caught a fish yet, and I promised Mummy one!’

‘Well, we have been here a long time…I have an idea.’ Mr Evans quickly gathered up their stuff and headed back to the truck, Lily in tow.
________

‘Mummy! Mummy! Look what I caught!’ Lily cried running into the house holding a big fish.

‘Oh my! I’ll have to get you to go fishing more often! You’re better than your Father!’ Mrs Evans exclaimed taking the fish to the sink.

Mr Evans came in ruffling his daughter’s hair and winking at her. Lily winked back. Her and her daddy had a secret. Only they – and the tall man at the grocery store – knew that Lily didn’t catch the fish.
________
1971.

Lily took a deep breath of the smoky air. The Hogwarts Express stood before her, ready to take her to the magical school for her first year. She looked up at her mother; she had tears running down her face. Her mother gave her a tight hug and a kiss. Lily turned to her sister. She felt awful after the argument they had just had moments ago.

‘Petunia –’ Lily looked at her sister stepping forward to give her a hug. Petunia stepped backwards.

‘Don’t touch me you freak,’ she turned on her heel and walked away.

‘Oh. I’ll get her,’ Lily watched as her mother hurried off into the crowd after Petunia. Lily looked up at her father.

‘Don’t worry, Lily,’ he said wrapping his arms around her. ‘Just think, in a couple hours you will be at Hogwarts.’

‘Daddy…’ Lily whispered hugging him back. ‘I can’t wait.’

Her father chuckled. ‘Just don’t get in trouble and stay away from boys.’

Lily laughed. ‘I’ll try, Daddy.’

‘I love you.’ He whispered giving her a kiss on her forehead. The train whistle blew. ‘You better get going.’

‘I love you.’ Lily told her father kissing him on the cheek before going up the steps. Lily pushed her way to the windows and waved goodbye to her father.

‘Bye, Dad!’ she called to him. ‘I’ll be back for Christmas!’
________
1977.


Lily swished her wand in the air, a jet of water shooting out of the end.

‘Very good, Miss Evans!’ Professor Flitwick squeaked, clapping his hands.

‘Professor Flitwick, could you please excuse Miss Evans?’ Professor McGonagall asked her face dark. Lily followed McGonagall down the corridor towards Dumbledore’s office.

‘Professor, what is this about?’ Lily asked worried.

‘The Headmaster would like to see you. Important matters.’

They walked towards the stone gargoyle which guarded the entrance to the headmaster’s office; it opened up when the older woman said the password. They stood at the door at the top to the stairs.

‘Come in, Minerva, Miss Evans.’ Dumbledore said gently. He was seated behind a large, wooden desk. He motioned for Lily to sit in the high back chair opposite him. ‘Miss Evans, I’m afraid that I have some terrible news. Your father has…passed.’

Lily gasped. ‘What? How?’

‘It seems that there was a car crash. Your Mother was with him, but she’s making a full recovery.’ He paused. ‘Your Mother has asked that you be sent home for the remainder of the month.’

Lily nodded.

‘Minerva,’ he directed to McGonagall. ‘Could you please gather Miss Evans’ things and inform her roommates of what has occurred?’

‘Of course.’

‘Miss Evans, I am sorry for your loss. Any school work that you miss will be held off.’
________

Lily stood at the edge of the cemetery watching as the last few people left. Making sure they were gone, she walked up to the new gravestone, her black dress flapping around her ankles. She had promised her mother that she would only be a few minutes, seeing as she had to be back at Hogwarts in an hour. Lily stopped at the newly dug grave. Her father had been dead for almost a month now.

Kneeling down, Lily ran her fingers over the writing. Tears poured down her face as she read the words:

John Douglas Evans.
November 23rd 1931 – March 5th 1977.
Beloved Father and Husband.
Forever in Our Hearts.
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you liked my first story! Please R&R. Peace!