Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From the Ground, Up. by Hermiones Kneazle

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to my wonderful beta mary-ann3112!
_______________________________________

It felt good to be back knitting by the common room fire. Hermione was concentrating rather hard on the intricate patterns of broomsticks, snitches, and Bludgers. She smiled sadly, remembering their second year when Dobby had tried so desperately to “save” Harry’s life with a rogue Bludger. The mystery and escapades in the Chamber of Secrets was the first true victory in their fight against Voldemort, though they didn’t know it at the time.

In hindsight, pure luck had played into so many of their adventures. These childhood exploits almost seemed to be from the lives of some others after all that had transpired. The near starvation and constant fear from the past year had separated these lives. How reckless they had been! First-years attempting to fight their way through the obstacles created by their own teachers to stop a powerful dark wizard? Stealing a Hippogriff from under the Ministry’s nose and setting free the most wanted man in all of Britain? A few misfit fifteen-year-olds stealing off to the Ministry with the intent of taking down the darkest wizard ever known to save a man seen captive in a dream? It all sounded completely mad, looking back. She was sure however, that she would have done nothing different. Fighting the Ministry for Magic and the most evil witches and wizards of all time had strengthened her and left a flame of passion; doing what was right was the only option for her.

She set down her needles and pulled out her wand. She tapped the socks so the snitches, Bludgers, and broomsticks began moving and weaving between each other. Satisfied with the charm’s results, she set her supplies aside and hid the socks strategically throughout the room; it was her momentum to the free elf. She had coupled them together with mismatching patterns in true Dobby form, for what was the use of a single sock when two feet needed to be covered? Plopping back down into her favourite chair, she waited, looking expectantly at the portrait hole. Hermione didn’t have long before the two boys clambered inside. Both of them had a distinctly windswept look she knew to associate with Quidditch; they must have been blowing off some steam with a bit of a match.

“You need a new Firebolt, mate. The Cleansweep just didn’t do you any justice. If you are going to try for the pros, you need more than a rental.”

“I know, I really miss my broom. I could probably join the Chudley Cannons with the Cleansweep though.”

Ron grimaced at the unwelcome truth and didn’t challenge him. “You can just buy another one when we get back to London if the shop is still intact. We can go to Diagon Alley tomorrow when everyone leaves for the summer; we all need new robes anyway considering ours are all shredded. Hermione, you’re coming too of course.”

She looked at her feet when she answered him. “I’m not going back to London just yet. I have “ other things to take care of first. I can meet up with you two after, when everything is put back to the way it should be.”

Ron looked utterly bewildered, but Harry snorted. “You aren’t actually so thick as to think we wouldn’t be coming with you? Especially considering how you refused to let me search for Horcruxes on my own?”

Ron looked between the two of them, still lost. “What do you mean? Where the bloody hell do you think you’re off to without us?”

“She wants to go retrieve her parents and explain the last year to them. We’re coming with you, whether you bloody like it or not. Honestly, Hermione,” he rolled his eyes. We won’t intrude on your reunion, but we certainly aren’t letting you travel around the globe without us stuck to you like a couple of wart plasters.”

She couldn’t help but grin as she looked at her best friend. Of course, he was too damn noble for his own good. He would never have left her after all they had endured together. Hermione ran at Harry and he disappeared momentarily as her arms and bushy hair engulfed him in a hug. Ron looked a bit disgruntled, but said nothing. “So, we are off to find Wendell and Monica Wilkins tomorrow?” she posed at the two.

Harry’s look changed to one of concern. “Have you thought about what you’re going to tell them? How exactly will you tell them gently that you were tortured, hundreds of wizards have died, you put a spell on them strong enough so they wouldn’t remember anything, you didn’t finish school “ “

“ “ Harry, I know they will underst-“

“ “ and to top it all off, you have a boyfriend whom you stayed in a tent with all year. No offense Ron, but I doubt they will want you anywhere near her! Hermione, they won’t trust you and they won’t want you ever leaving the muggle world!”

Hermione replied hotly, “Obviously I’ve thought about it. It won’t look good, but what choice do they have? I’m an adult and I’ve proven myself. Besides, Voldemort is dead, so is his ghost going to haunt me? Is he going to try to frighten me to death?”

“Yes,” Harry said, not meeting her eyes, “Voldemort is dead, but that isn’t to say another won’t take his place. We aren’t finished with this, Hermione. There are still followers out there who want nothing more than to murder the three of us.”

“They have a right to be concerned about you,” Ron mumbled. “Bloody giants, dementors, death eaters still at large, and “ well “ me. I can’t protect you like Harry can, and I doubt your parents will be very fond of me considering all I’ve done to hurt you.”

“I can take care of myself, thank you!” she shot at Ron. “And if my parents don’t like you, well then they can just shove off. I think I’m entitled to choose whomever I would like to date! I will do what I please and they can’t stop me. I will make them understand. They are reasonable, unlike you two.”

“Maybe they would rather you stuck around Harry since he defeated the darkest wizard of all time. They might be reassured to know you two can read each others’ minds as well!”

Calmly, Hermione came closer and answered, “Ronald, it will be fine. I will stick with you, no matter what. I don’t care what Harry has done, no offense Harry. He isn’t you, Ron!”

“Well we can set off after breakfast. Harry and I will start packing. C’mon, mate.”

Hermione stood there as the pair trooped up the stairs and found she wasn’t as annoyed at Ron’s behaviour as she formerly would have been. She knew he was easily jealous, so she promised to make it up to him later. She smiled to herself at how he had grown up, but still let her and Harry’s friendship bother him. Boys were so strange sometimes. Lost in her thoughts, she hardly noticed Ginny descend the girl’s staircase and join her in the common room.

“You had best watch what you say around Ron right now. His mood swings could catch a foe-glass unawares. He seems calmer around you, but he is lashing out at Harry and I. They may be best friends, but there have been times when it seemed they would never speak again. He won’t talk to me, of course, but maybe you could do some good. Just try not to set him off? The last thing we need right now is another estrangement.”

Hermione found that, unfortunately, this information did not surprise her. Ron often directed his angst towards those closest to him rather than confronting the issues themselves. She looked at Ginny, whom she had often advised and served as an older sister to. Hermione knew she couldn’t risk losing her and Harry just to stand by Ron, as much as she cared about him. She nodded to Ginny and wondered if this excursion would help or hurt whatever Ron’s real issue was.

The girls watched the fire until it smouldered out before heading up to the familiar four-posters. She decided to shake off her thoughts for now. Tomorrow, she knew, would be difficult enough without spending more time worrying about Ron.
Chapter Endnotes: Sorry about the delay, I couldn't find time to write during school! Any comments or questions are welcome!