Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From the Ground, Up. by Hermiones Kneazle

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Not my characters - all JKR. Also, apologies it took so long. I've honestly had this about finished for two years. Oops.
The overwhelming heat and the smell of the salty sea were the first things to greet the new arrivals after they thudded to the ground. They blinked in the dazzling sunlight that was so contrasting to the semi-darkness and gray hue of Scotland. The trio began to survey their surroundings and found themselves on a cliff above the ocean. It was beautiful. For a moment, Hermione forgot her mission to take in the breath-taking view. The waves gracefully crashed against the rocks below and the wind blew softly in her hair. Here was hope and peace, confined in a landscape.

–So, er - which way to the nearest city?”

The moment broke as delicately as a spider’s web. She tore her eyes away and turned to look at Ron who looked entranced, not by the view, but by her. –The last time I came to Australia was when I was eight, so I don’t exactly recognize the place. I doubt he would have sent us far outside a city, though,” she answered Harry.

–Right, well let’s check it out. They could be anywhere on the continent.” When she looked at Harry fearfully, he smiled reassuringly. –We will find them soon, don’t worry!”

–Yeah, they can’t be far!” Ron put his arm around her. –I won’t sleep until I find them,” he told her seriously.

Hermione giggled nervously and looked up at him. –You sound like Dobby when Harry gave him a task,” she teased. –Would you like me to knit you a wooly bladder too?”

He chuckled nervously, deciding it was best not to answer her. They scanned the land behind them for signs of life and spotted a house or two to the right. Ron reasserted his position of leadership and led the others onward. If they were lucky, they might be able to find a ride into town; it was too dangerous to apparate to an unknown location and risk splinching and the suspicion from Muggles.

As if reading his mind, Hermione continued his thoughts. –Let’s change into Muggle cloths before we make our grand entrance. We can’t draw attention to ourselves if we can help it.” She wasn’t so much worried about the Muggles, but if dark wizards were in the area, they might be recognized and attacked. Every move would need to be carefully calculated; dark wizards would still be at large and hunting for them.

The heat that had been so pleasant upon arrival began to wear on them as they walked past the dilapidated farmhouses, searching for living beings. Hermione began to worry that they would never find someone for directions. Hope was fading as they neared the last house in sight. Well, to be honest, it was more of a shack. To be sure there was no one, they circled it and the shed. With a sigh of relief, they spotted a young man on the ground, working beneath an old red lorry.

When they began approaching, a beautiful black and tan dog appeared from behind the lorry, tongue hanging out, and walking confidently towards the intruders. It barked once at them, but not maliciously.

–Roxy girl, what’s got ya fussed? Another roo to take chase after?”

–Oi, there!” Harry yelled to announce their presence. –Er - can you help us? We need to find our way to the nearest city.”
The man looked from under the truck at them, squinted suspiciously, scooted out from under the old Ford, and got to his feet slowly. He was covered in the red dirt that surrounded them and was wearing a cut-off shirt that revealed his toned arms and baggy trousers. He looked as if he hadn’t shaved in a few days. Hermione held in a sigh at his deliciously ragged appearance. Ron, who had been watching her, seemed to know perfectly well what she had just restrained herself from doing. He turned with a look of great distain toward the stranger.

–Well, it’s going to be about an hour ride due south to the city.” She liked the way he said –ride”, but her smile quickly vanished when she saw Ron’s face. –Looks like you’re walking then, mate? That’ll be another 8 hours. I hope you’re in for the long haul. The Sheila probably won’t make it in this heat, the lit’l whisker.” He winked at her and she blushed deeply. –Name’s Bruce by the way.”

Bruce held out his dusty hand, which Harry took. When offered to Ron, he merely grunted a greeting and wrapped an arm around Hermione, possessively. Ignoring this, she offered her hand, which Bruce took and smiled broadly. When none offered a name, he stood back and gave them the once-over.

–Anyone you can call to pick ya up? Or are ya lookin’ to hitch a ride?”

–Er - well, we are actually looking for a friend, but we – erm – lost their number.” Harry’s lie wasn’t confident enough. The Australian raised a questioning brow.

Hermione suddenly had an idea. –It’s - it’s my parents. When they found out I’d gotten engaged to him,” jerking her head towards Ron, –they disowned me and moved. I want to find them and apologize, but most of all, I want to gain their blessing. I can’t do this without them,” she sniffed, summoning tears to her eyes on command. It was strange how easily they came nowadays.

Bruce’s expression softened with sympathy. –Sounds like I’m not alone in my life story. My oldies gave me the boot for that, and then my Sheila walked out. Now, I’m just some feral from Woop Woop without a zack, but still grinnin’ like a shot fox! Nothin’ but my grotty ute, kelpie, and my pride. Aw well, Roxy’s better than family anyways.” He bent down and affectionately roughed the dog’s head.

–Er - right. Well now that we understand each other –– Ron trailed off.

He laughed, deep and booming. –I forgot ‘at you pommies don’t speak Aussie. No Worries! I’ll give ya a fair go, despite where ya from.” Bruce yawned and stretched his strong biceps above his head. –Looks like I’m takin’ ya to Perth.” He picked up his discarded toolbox and flung it into the tail end. Roxy jumped up in after, tongue wagging happily.

The trio looked at the –ute” skeptically. Not only did it seem unlikely the old lorry would function, but they had just met the man who would drive it not five minutes ago. He seemed friendly enough, but it was hard to tell friends from enemies nowadays.

Hermione looked at the boys. –What other choice do we have? C’mon.” They cautiously approached the battered vehicle, but stopped short when he reached the cab.

–Oh, right,” Bruce mused. –Can’t fit the lot of ya in my cab; it’s a two-seater. Draw straws, mates.”

Ron knew who was going to take the seat, but that meant Hermione would be sitting next to the Aussie sex-god. She watched the gears in his head turning, trying to swallow his pride. His face flushed maroon. Unable to form a polite sentence, he made a sort of grunting noise and jerked his head at her.

The boys clambered into the bed while Hermione leapt up into the cab with Bruce. The cramped quarters meant they were touching. Hermione felt a bit guilty, glancing back to see Ron and Harry watching her intently through the rear window. Ron was grimacing badly with just the thought of sharing her for a half hour. She felt bad because she wasn’t put out with whom she was sitting with. Hermione loved Ron, but she could still look at the menu, right?

Bruce looked down at her, smirking slightly. The lorry rumbled to life, and they began down the dusty road. It was a miracle that there were even people living in country like this; the air was hot and dry with so much dust, it was proving rather difficult to breathe. She was assuming living here made it bearable, as Bruce didn’t seem a bit uncomfortable. He was currently lounging as he drove, with one arm driving and the other lazily hanging out the window.

–Do you have any idea where ya oldies are? You’re in Oz now, and we aren’t a tiny country. You could travel for 10,000 clicks and meet naught but roos, rabbits, and dingos.”

Hermione debated how honest to be with this stranger. –Well, I know they always had a fondness for Sydney, but they wanted a bit of a quieter atmosphere, like Perth. I’m hoping to track them down through some friends here; one called last week to tell me she had seen them.” Alright, so she had settled for part of the truth.

–Do ya even know the country?” he inquired skeptically.

–Of course! I lived here a few years with my grandparents. I’m hoping for the chance to stop in and see them before I head out!” She held fast to her smile as he studied her. He eventually shrugged it off, apparently accepting her lies. Hermione quietly breathed a sigh of relief. Hermione wasn’t even what part of the continent she was on; she was guessing at the western coast due to the arid conditions.

They rode for the next ten minutes in silence. Hermione felt extremely uncomfortable, silently and snuggly situated with the stoic native. Should she start conversation? What would she say anyways? Would he be a valuable asset? Did he have washboard abs? Oh stop it, Hermione. She snuck a quick glance up at him; his demeanor was casual and relaxed. She closed her eyes and cast her immediate worries aside. Meditation would serve her mind well, so she turned to it until the trip was over.

The elevated state of mind crashed down to earth when they came to a stop. Eagerly, she surveyed their surroundings.

–Why are we at a pub?” she inquired, confused as she was wary.

He laughed a deep, booming laugh. –’Bout time for a counter meal! I don’t know about you lot, but I’m starved, and this place sells the best wings this side of Oz. You’ll love it,” he winked and leapt from his seat.

Hermione had completely forgotten the time change. Sure enough, there was the sun, slowly sinking into the west. She hurried out of the cab to alert the boys.

–Excellent!” cried Ron. –I’m starving.” He was grinning almost indecently at the thought of food, until it suddenly fell from his face.

–What is it? Lost your appetite?” Harry joked.

His voice was almost hoarse with disappointment. –We don’t have Australian currency. I can’t buy a sandwich with sickles.” His eyes became a wild dog’s. –We’ll starve!!!”

–Oh honestly, Ronald. I already took care of it, now will you calm down? Go in and get your fill; I’ve got the check.”

–You know, Hermione, I think I love you.” He sprinted toward the door while Hermione tried to stop blushing.

Harry was smirking as he put an arm around her shoulders and escorted her into the dusty bar. When they opened the door, she wrinkled her nose. It was a pub alright, with regulars already drinking away. They were a motley crew, but Bruce seemed to know them; he was off in the corner talking to a few in low voices. She nudged Harry.

–I know,” he whispered, –I’ve got my wand on the lot. No worries -– he snickered, –- Sheila.

Hermione slapped him rather hard as she slid into a chair at the table Ron had chosen. He was halfway through a plate of wings already, the remains covering his shirt and face. He stopped for just a moment to smile at her, bits of the chicken still in his mouth.

–Oh, now that’s attractive.” She rolled her eyes and picked up a menu. Men were disgusting. Simply by looking around the bar, Hermione could see some of the greatest examples. That one looked like he hadn’t showered in a month. The one at the bar had enough empties around him to supply an American college party. The one nearest them was clearly ogling her, without even trying to be discreet about it.

Her musings were interrupted by the suddenly elevated voices of Bruce and his colleagues.

–I said Wednesday, Bruce. Wednesday. It’s Monday you swaggie. I’m a generous man, but I’ve given you almost an entire extra week.”

–Hey, Charlie, come on! You know I’m good for it, jus’ another week! I have some buddies who owe me who haven’t paid up yet, and I need wat they got ‘fore I can give you your funds. I’ve been livin’ on what I can fish for a week, and that’s all! No need to put the bite on me like this.”

Charlie sighed heavily. –I like you kid, but ya need to stop givin’ me the flick. But, I do think Russ might owe ya a bunch of fives. Don’t ya, Russ?” He motioned to the burly man on his right.

The huge man rose from his chair. Bruce snorted at the threat. –Let’s give it a burl, eh figjam?”

Hermione wasn’t even sure it happened. The men began to converge on Bruce, and something shone in the light. She gasped out of fear for her new acquaintance, but after three loud pops, it was over.

Bruce shoved his gun back into the waist of his pants as he hurried toward the trio. –Nice shootin, mate,” he smiled wryly down at Harry. Hermione was rather shocked to see Harry shaking with wand brandished, pointed straight at Bruce’s heart.

–Ya might want to think about puttin’ that away ‘fore this lot catches sight of ya stick,” Bruce whispered to him. When Harry didn’t budge, Bruce sighed. –If you’d like, I can meet you outside once you clear this with ya mates.”

They, along with everyone in the bar, watched him casually walk out the door. When the door closed, everyone pretended as if nothing happened.

–Bloody hell,” breathed Ron. –He’s an awful friendly bloke.”

–I think I should talk to him. He knows that – well, that we’re - not Muggles.”

–We’re coming with you, Harry. You may have a wand, but he also has a gun. He could be dangerous. He could even be a wizard! I want help tracking down my parents, but not at the risk of someone getting shot.”

He nodded and Hermione threw down some money. The only attention they attracted was from the pervert ogling Hermione as they left the dingy pub. Bruce was waiting for them, leaning against the Ford.

–Nice to know I didn’t put the wind up ya too bad,” Bruce chuckled.

–It would be beneficial to your health to tell us exactly who you are and how you know what we are,” growled Harry menacingly.

Bruce threw back his head and roared with laughter. –My health, ya say? Strewth, how do you whackas expect to get out of the bush without me? Ya can’t just apparate into the city when you don’t know where the Death Eaters are.”

Harry’s anger turned to shock as he sputtered – - but, I mean how - ? Where did you -?”

–I’m a squib, baby Harry. Now quit your whinging and get in the bloody ute. Granger, you’re front with me. We’ve got more to yabber about than my Ozzie charm.”
Chapter Endnotes: All comments are welcome! Also, again apologies. I plan on writting a lot more now that I am out of school. Loads of love to my loyal followers! Comments only help to improve my stories :-)