Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Christmas Surprise by dignacious

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All throughout the day, Harry had been nervous, and Ginny noticed. She kept giving him strange looks or putting a hand on his arm and asking him what he was so tense about. Each time he shrugged it off, not knowing how to respond without giving himself away- his palms were sweating and he could do nothing to stop it.

He could almost hear Hermione's voice telling him he should be thinking about how to exactly plan this out, but he just couldn't bear to do it. He couldn't even begin- the important things were covered, and all he had to do was get on with it full-force. He already had a ring, but he kept it at Grimmauld Place so as to make sure Ginny didn’t find it.

At five o’clock, he announced that he had forgotten something at home, and had to go and get it. Ginny offered to go with him, but Mrs. Weasley came to Harry’s rescue and told Ginny that she should help her in the kitchen instead. Ginny cast Harry a disappointed look, but Harry just shrugged and tried to look disappointed back in order to hide his relief.

Pinching a bit of floo powder between his fingers and tossing it into the flames, Harry watched as they went from orange to emerald. The warmth washed over him as he stepped inside and called out the address. The last thing he saw was Hermione’s suspicious look.

He arrived at Grimmauld Place a minute later, and brushed the soot off his clothes.

“Master Harry, welcome home,” Harry heard Kreacher say as the little elf appeared, bowing low to the ground. “May I make you something to eat?”

Harry politely declined, and made his way up the stairs. As he reached the landing, he thought he heard something downstairs, but he just shrugged it off. The time for paranoia was past.

Rummaging through his bureau, Harry found the ring exactly where he had left it and pocketed it. Turning around and trying not to think about what he was about to do, he nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw Hermione leaning against the doorframe. There was an immensely satisfied look on her face, and she smirked.

“So… why didn’t you tell me?” Hermione asked, looking slightly offended.

“You followed me here?” Harry avoided her question.

“I couldn’t help it. You know floo powder doesn’t exactly promote good security anyway- anyone can get in. And the look on your face when you said you ‘forgot’ something. You don’t have to be a genius to know you were up to something! But let's get to the point: I am so excited! Marrying Ginny? You’ve finally wised up!”

Harry ignored her jibe. “Well, I haven’t exactly asked her yet. I told everyone else this morning at breakfast, but you were out with her. And you two are always together… she would definitely notice something if you knew!”

Hermione shrugged. “I guess you’re right. But I am so happy for you!” She did a little dance and jumped up and down.

“Like I said, I haven’t asked her yet. She could still say no,” Harry said, hoping that he was wrong.

“Oh please! I know she won’t,” Hermione scoffed, waving her hand like Harry asking someone to marry him was no big deal. Harry hoped she was right. They went back to the Burrow together, and Harry went back into his room to charm a ribbon to wrap around the ring (he had never been good at tying bows manually) and put it under the tree. Then, satisfied, he went into the kitchen to help Ginny and Mrs. Weasley with dinner.

The food was delicious, of course, but Harry couldn’t enjoy it as much as he could the first night, for he was so nervous. After dinner, the big family retreated into the living room, so everyone could open one present before Christmas morning.

Though Ginny, being the youngest, typically opened her present first, it was unspoken that tonight she opened it last. She didn’t mind, though, and just laughed as everyone opened silly presents. Ron bought Hermione a collector’s edition of Hogwarts, A History, and she laughed as she wrapped her arms around him. Harry and Ginny both stifled laughter at the smug look on Ron’s face when Hermione kissed his cheek and the blush that plagued then both afterwards. Finally, after everyone else had opened their gifts, all faces turned to Ginny. She blushed.

“What?” she asked, confused.

“Here, Gin, open this one." Harry picked up the small box under the tree.

“Is this from you, Harry?” she asked.

“Yes,” he swallowed. He had some things to say, but he decided to just let her open the box first, as his tongue didn’t work properly.

Nervously, he handed the box to her, feeling her fingers brush against his. He did not take his eyes off of her hands as she neatly untied the ribbon and put it down next to her, and then stuck a finger between the lid and the bottom of the box. Harry could not help but hold his breath as she began to open the box...

Finally, the box was open, and Harry saw her eyes widen.

Ginny promptly snapped the box close. Harry’s heart skipped a beat like she had caught it between the lid of the box with a sharp click. But before he could panic, she opened the box again and then let out a strange mix between a gasp, a laugh, and a sob.

“Yes, Harry!”

At first he didn’t believe his ears… he didn’t even have to ask her! Should he just go on without saying anything? No, best make sure, he told himself.

“You’ll marry me, Ginny?”

“Yes, of course, Harry.” She leaned forward and threw her arms around him, and he kissed her on the lips.

To his extreme embarrassment, he heard clapping. Ginny broke of the kiss as she started laughing.

“Stop it!” she said, though everyone could tell she was enjoying everything about this moment. Harry took the box from her hand and slipped the ring onto her finger, where it fit perfectly.

“Turns out Sirius had found my mother’s ring after she died, life over in the house. He'd put it in Grimmauld Place only hours before he was arrested. And it fits you perfectly,” he told her. This was the true surprise; no one knew this but himself.

He heard Hermione gasp behind him, and Mrs. Weasley (“Oh Harry!”). But Ginny just smiled and kissed him again, before settling back and staring at the ring on her finger: formerly Lily Potter's, now all her own.

* * *


They spent the remainder of the holiday side by side, and had quite a sad goodbye when Ginny had to head back to Hogwarts. Harry promised to spend the weekend there in a few days, and Ginny left. Overall, Harry would definitely categorize this as the Merriest Christmas he had ever had.