Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Grant Me the Serenity by Apollonious

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Obviously, I'm not JK Rowling.
She sat at the dinner table silently, waiting for him to finish his meal. Her stomach turned at the food-processor sounds of his chewing, and she tried not to glower at him as she so wanted to. He lounged sideways in his chair, blustering at her mother between stretches of disgustingly audible chewing.

She stared at the spaghetti sauce that still lingered on her plate, hoping that by focusing her attention on it and not him she could somehow block out his repulsiveness.

He said something at her then, grossly patronizing, and she felt her hands curl into fists in her lap, her nails digging into her palms. The blood pounded in her head as she fought to keep her temper under control.

She managed it, barely, a thousand scathing remarks restrained just behind her teeth.

Her mother sat across the table from her, and she felt safe to look up at the woman. Whatever she had hoped to see, however, was rapidly denied. Her mum wore a smile on her rather dull face that the girl would, on any other face, term as drugged beyond competence.

The girl looked back down, angrier than before. It was incredible, she thought, that that was possible, but possible or not it was true.

Finally her stepfather finished eating and slouched back in his chair, rubbing – petting, really – his belly. Fat-ass belly, she commented mentally.

With stiff, tense movements, she got to her feet and carried her plate over to the sink, rinsing it clean.

Then she turned and disappeared out the back door.


The road disappeared under Marietta’s feet as she pedaled her bicycle furiously, making the motion match her mood. The rage boiled under her skin, and she let it.

Her feet turned in a well-known rhythm, one she had taught herself over the past month. It was too fast to be one of the slow lovely songs her mother had used to sing, too slow to be one of the petit allegros her ballet mistress had insisted were vital to build stamina. It was fury, plain and simple, and the knowledge that she wouldn’t go back to that house for a long, long time.

Mother-friend-brother-mother-friend-brother-mother-friend-brother her mind chanted, sounding on each of her pushes with her feet. Reminding her of all that she’d been robbed of. As if she needed reminding.

He hadn’t even asked her, the bastard. Never bothered to see if she was okay with him marrying her mum. It wasn’t out of character, though, seeing as he hadn’t asked her opinion in much of anything since they’d moved in with him.

She’d wanted nothing more than to hit him tonight at the dinner table, to see him fall back, bleeding….

No, she wouldn’t do that, for her mother’s sake. But if the bastard ever laid a hand on her mother and she caught wind of it, one of them would be leaving that house in a body bag.

And it wouldn’t be her.

Marietta rode on, further than she’d ever gone before. The slope got steeper, but she dealt with it, pushing her legs and ignoring their groans of protest.

As it always did when she was this angry, her fury spilled over from the bastard to everyone else she found it impossible to forgive.

Cho, her so-called best friend. Cho, who’d been blind to Marietta and everyone else since Cedric died. Of course she should grieve. Losing a boyfriend – especially in the way Cho had – was awful. But to be so unaware of all the pain around her, of all those who were mourning Cedric just as much as she was fell, in Marietta’s eyes, into the category of inexcusable. They could have helped each other, could have been each other’s comfort. But instead Cho had pushed Marietta away as she grieved the death of a boy she’d dated for a few months, and only known for a few weeks before that. She’d chosen Cedric over Marietta, in life as well as in death, and that was something that would take Marietta a long time to forgive.

And Cedric! Her feet sped up on the pedals, regaining their former frenzy. She was angrier at him than Cho even, the blasted, goddamn idiot. It was easiest for her to admit that he’d broken her best friend’s heart, something that she in good conscience could not forgive no matter how angry she was at Cho.

A small, rational voice in the back of her head pointed out that, being dead, Cedric couldn’t really help that he wasn’t around. But the part of Marietta that was doing the thinking just then remembered the look on Cho’s face when Potter had appeared in front of the maze a month before, clutching Cedric’s dead body in one hand and the Triwizard Cup in the other. The anger told the reason to go boil its head.

Marietta pressed on, her legs screaming at her to stop. She enjoyed the pain, welcomed it.

She gradually slowed as she passed into unfamiliar territory. She’d never been in this part of town before, where the lawns were bigger and had more trees, and the countryside was almost visible just down the road.

Cedric had lied to her. He’d promised she could depend on him, promised she could talk to him when she needed someone. And then he’d gone and broken his promise, gone and gotten himself goddamn killed.

She still remembered the day by the lake, almost a year ago now, when he’d promised her.


She sat alone, under the beech tree by the lake, her skinny form shaking with tears she forced herself not to shed The bark was rough against her skin, grating against her.

She
hated the bastard, and if her mother didn’t know why it wasn’t Marietta’s job to explain. Oh, she tried, but her mum was still too in love to get it.

“Marietta?” came a soft voice from around the tree trunk. “Are you all right?”

She looked up, knowing that her eyes would be red even though she hadn’t cried. Cedric Diggory stood there,
the Cedric Diggory, hero of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team and the favorite to become the school’s champion in the Triwizard Tournament. They’d been friends for a few years, but not very close ones.

“Hello, Cedric,” she said, just as quietly.

“I saw you come out here. It’s been a while,” he said, as though explaining himself.

“Thanks,” she said, making herself smile at him.

He nodded, sitting down beside her. “So what’s up?”

“My mum got married over the hols,” she said bluntly.

He smiled a little. “I take it you don’t like the man?”

She smiled too, wryly. “That’s one way of putting it.”

Leaning down, Cedric plucked a blade of grass and then sat back against the tree , twirling the grass in his fingers. “What about him don’t you like?”

This was challenging – she wasn’t prepared for if the conversation went down this path. “I suppose… Well, one thing is that he didn’t ask me.”

Cedric’s brow furrowed as he examined the grass more closely. “So he needed your permission?”

“Not exactly, no,” she admitted. “But it would have been, well, better, you know.”

He nodded slowly. “I see what you mean. Does he treat your mum okay?”

“He hasn’t done anything to her, if
that’s what you mean.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes as Marietta collected her thoughts.

“I guess,” she finally said, “it isn’t so much what he’s done to her as what he hasn’t done.”

Cedric frowned, considering this. “How do you mean?”

“He never really thanks her for anything. I’ve seen her literally cook a meal from scratch while he’s sitting at the table, and when she gives the food to him he doesn’t say ‘thank you’.” Marietta sighed. “And he doesn’t pick up on the little things – like how she walks after she’s had a bad day at work, or when she sits a certain way when she wants to talk about something.”

“Why are those so important to you?” Cedric asked, sounding as though he was honestly trying to understand.

Marietta gazed at the dark waters of the lake. “Mostly – well, because how can you expect to have a truly great relationship with someone, like a husband-wife relationship, and not bother to learn the little things like that?”

Cedric nodded. “I see your point.”

Again they were silent, this time for longer.

Cedric broke the pause this time. “Have you tried telling your mum how you feel? It seems to me that instead of brooding over what you can fix, you should try to make what is under your control better for you, and your mum.”

Marietta nodded quickly. “I’ve tried, but –” The tears from earlier rose up, unexpected and unbidden. She wiped a hand across her eyes, trying to be surreptitious.

“Hey, hey,” Cedric murmured, wrapping an arm around her. “What is it?”

“She won’t listen to me,” Marietta choked out. “She doesn’t understand why I don’t like him. She thinks – she thinks I should wait before I decide.” She was crying in earnest now.

Cedric pulled her into a tight hug, murmuring softly into her hair as she sobbed into his shoulder. They sat like that for a while – Marietta didn’t know how long. Finally, when she had quieted down a bit, Cedric kissed her forehead and pulled away.

“I want you to know you can always count on me to be your friend,” he told her gently, then, seeing the smile this produced, he continued, “to be your brother, even. You can count on me. Okay?”

She grinned up at him wetly. “Okay.”



Without quite knowing how she had gotten there, Marietta found herself lying on her back in soft grass underneath a tree. A stream gurgled somewhere nearby. Tears streamed unchecked down her face, the first she’d allowed herself to shed in months. She cried for Cho, for her mother, for Cedric, and yes, even for that Potter boy who’d brought about all this trouble.

Instead of brooding over what you can’t fix, you should try to make what is under your control better.

Cedric’s words rang in her ears as though he’d just said them. Marietta sat up, looking around, but there was no one there, just her bike lying a few feet away.

Marietta couldn’t change the fact that her mother was married to a man she hated. She couldn’t bring Cedric back to life, or send Lord Voldemort back to whatever hell he had previously inhabited and most definitely deserved to spend the rest of eternity in.

But there was on thing that Marietta Edgecombe could change, and she got to her feet and picked up her bicycle, resolute to do just that.