Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ginny's Love by The Marauder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Wish

Disclaimer: I did a lot of research for this chapter. Nearly all of my information comes from the wonderful site http://www.dibonsmith.com/ and all links used are from there as well!


* *Harry’s POV* *

Harry lay on his back, staring at the stars above him, his Firebolt resting peacefully at his side. He was completely immersed in his own world as he wondered if everyone’s life was so complicated.

Well, he thought dryly, not everyone has the fate of the free world on their shoulders…

He closed his eyes and scoffed the ridiculous notion. He was Harry…just Harry…how could something so remarkable be expected of him? But, with a sigh, he realized it wasn’t Voldemort or the prophecy, or even Ron and Hermione’s constant fighting and making up (with more snuggling and snogging than he was comfortable around) that had sent him to the Quidditch pitch. Of course not: it was Ginny. It was Ginny who constantly occupied his thoughts, Ginny whose mere presence made his heart beat just that much faster, Ginny who had turned his world completely upside down. Ever since admitting to himself that he liked her, Harry had suddenly become aware of how much she impacted his life. In the morning he went to breakfast early because he knew she was often up before most of the school. When he planned new Quidditch strategies with Ron, he found himself not only silently praising her brilliance on a broom, but simply smiling at the thought of Ginny being on the team with him. When Hermione asked if he was planning on continuing DA meetings, he instantly reminisced how quickly Ginny had caught on to every lesson. And when he sat staring into the fire late at night, he was now rarely mourning Sirius, he was usually dreaming of her.

What am I going to do?

No matter what he tried, it seemed he simply couldn’t get her off his mind.

Should I tell her how I feel?

This question had been pestering him for over a week now. It had only been twelve days since that morning he had woken up holding her in his arms. He had also been wishing for that long that he had never moved, never let her go: that he could still be holding her.

Of course, you had to panic, didn’t you? He chided himself for the millionth time. Well, there’s nothing you can do now, so pull it together.

He saw something streak above him out of the corner of his eye. A shooting star? Make a wish Potter. He closed his eyes again. I wish I could have some sort of sign, something to let know me if I should tell Ginny how I feel or just let it be...

He opened his eyes and saw movement again. Another one? And again. Harry sat up slowly, all his senses alert as a dark figure passed over him, lower this time. His grip on his wand tightened and he strained his eyes to see it more closely. Suddenly the figure passed in front of the moon and he relaxed and laughed wryly as he recognized a familiar flash of red. She suddenly slowed, stopped, and then turned and made her way over as she noticed him.

This is just a coincidence. It’s not a sign…

Coward.

Shut up, he muttered to the voice in his head.

“Harry? Is that you?”

“Yeah,” he replied, his throat dry.

She landed gently and sat down next to him. Her hand accidentally brushed his and he felt the familiar jerk of his heart he had begun to associate with her.

Okay so it’s a big coincidence, but still…

“What are you doing out here?” she asked curiously. Whether it was the soft moonlight or the flush from recently flying he didn’t know, but something about her seemed to constrict his lungs and he took a long shaky breath to compose himself.

Alright, fine, so maybe it’s not entirely a coincidence…

“I…just like it out here, you?” he mumbled, avoiding her warm eyes.

She sighed, “I needed a break from studying for those bloody O.W.L.s.” he smiled knowingly, and she continued, “Besides, Ron and Hermione were just starting to make up from their last row, and I thought I’d give them some space.”

Harry laughed at this and Ginny grinned back and lay down in the soft grass. Harry followed suit, noticing as their arms touched, but not adjusting to change it.

I asked for a sign not a bloody bludger to the head! I get it, okay?! I have to tell her…

* *Ginny’s POV* *

They were silent, both admiring the heavens above them.

I come out here to get my mind off him so I can concentrate, and here he is! For the love of Merlin, just give me one break!

Ginny was completely aware of their arms touching, and it took all her control to steady her racing heart.

He doesn’t care for you that way. You promised to be strong. Don’t hurt yourself for nothing.

No matter how much she berated herself, however, it seemed her love for him would not be restrained without a fight. She spoke without really thinking what she was saying, but rather talking to silence her reeling mind.

“I could stare at the stars for hours and never get bored of it.” Harry turned his head to the side, and smiled at her grinning profile before turning his head back to the sky. “It blows my mind…how many stories there are written up there.”

He furrowed his brow, “What do you mean?”

“The stars…the constellations…they all have stories, meanings, that people have passed on for generations. It’s like sharing a piece of history with all those who have come before us.”

Harry gave a half smile, “I guess I never thought about it before. Do you know any of the stories?”

Ginny beamed, “Absolutely! Let’s see…” Ginny’s eyes shifted back and forth as she looked for her favorite figure, and then raised her hand and pointed.

“Okay, see right there? That star and then these around it?” she waved her finger in the air outlining the constellation.

Harry laughed and she turned to face him. “Ginny, I have no idea what you’re looking at.”

She laughed and rolled her eyes, taking his hand in hers and pointing at the figure. “That’s Andromeda,” she said quietly.

Harry squinted his eyes and then smiled slowly, “Hey! I think I see it!” Ginny chuckled, “So what’s the story behind Andromeda?” he asked inquisitively.

She gulped as she calmed herself from the rush of holding his hand, and then smiled as she started her story, “Well, Andromeda is this beautiful princess. But, she’s chosen to be sacrificed to Cetus, this terrifying monster, to appease Neptune, who is the God of the Sea. So there is poor Andromeda chained to a rock, inches from death, with no hope in sight,” she paused for effect and smiled mischievously as Harry waited impatiently, and then continued speaking quickly and dramatically. “But then, a great hero, one of Zeus’ sons, Perseus, came past and saw her! He was entranced by her beauty and instantly fell in love with her. After a great deal of persistence from his end she finally tells him her name, but just then the horrible monster comes to take his victim. She is terrified but he fights valiantly and after a long and bloody battle, he defeats the vicious Cetus. So, she is saved and they happily marry, truly in love…” She sighed, “Since the first time I heard that story it stayed with me.” She closed her eyes.

But fairy tales don’t come true in real life, Ginevra. He saved you from the basilisk… but he didn’t fall in love with you…

Harry was silent for a while, “Is Perseus up there?

Ginny smiled and outlined the hero’s shape.

“So they’re up there together.” He said, his voice low and serious.

“Yeah,” Ginny sighed romantically. “They’re up there, destined to sit next to one another, forever.”

Both mused this silently for while.

Ginny turned her head slightly so she could see discreetly see him out of the corner of her eyes and bit her lip, contemplating.

Should I…or shouldn’t I? Well…it turned out well last time…

She licked her lips, “Okay, see that really bright star?” She took his hand again, pointing to one of the most vivid stars in the sky.

Harry grinned and peeked at her out of the corner of his eye, “Yeah.”

“Okay, follow along like this.” She outlined the shape in the stars. “That’s Canis Major. What does it look like to you?”

Ginny grinned as he silently stared at it for another minute before replying questioningly. “It sort of looks like…a dog?”

“Yup. And that really dazzling star I showed you first, that’s one of the brightest stars in the sky “ if I remember correctly, it’s like the sixth closest star there is. Know what it’s called?”

Harry shook his head and then turned to face her.

Ginny rolled her head to the side and smiled at him sadly, “That’s Sirius.”

Harry blinked rapidly and then his face fell as understanding flowed through him, “Oh.”

Ginny squeezed his hand and continued, “But what’s important is: he’s always there, always looking over you. Whenever you need him, well, now you where to find him.” said Ginny, her voice soothing.

Harry’s eyes left hers for a moment as he looked down and then finally smiled slightly and met her eyes again.

“Thanks Ginny.”

She smiled and continued to hold his hand tightly, as she breathed, “Your welcome.”

They continued to gaze deep into one another’s souls and then both slowly looked up at the heavens above.




Thank you so much to my wonderful, amazing beta stickm!

Also, please please leave me a review and I will post the final chapter!!!!

Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, click on my name to see my beautiful new banner!!