Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Breaking the Mold by GrEeNcHiCkA

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He dared not breathe; the blue eyes that examined him were filled with disgust and sorrow. The wind howled inharmoniously as it whipped through the trees’ bulky canopy. The sky grew darker as night set in, the clouds a rich plum. A man, clad in black, knelt before a magnificent, silver haired wizard.

“Why are you here, Severus?” Dumbledore questioned; his beard danced mournfully in the breeze.

Severus found his mouth hanging ajar, no sound emerging; finally, gaining his composure, he choked, “For her…my fault…everything.”

“How much did you pass on to Voldemort?”

“The whole thing,” Severus wailed, his free hand concealing his pallid face. His other arm remained hidden under his robes as if hiding something. Dumbledore took note of this, his eyes narrowing in calculation.

“What do you propose we do about this, Severus?” His voice was hard, unrelenting of the pitiful man before him.

“What do you mean?” Severus croaked, a tear trickling down his face. His greasy locks billowed dramatically in the currents of air.

“Do you not care for Lily, her husband, and son?”

“I…”

“Sickening,” Dumbledore spat as anger coursed through his body.

Severus cowered into his black cloak, pressing some mysterious object closer to his chest. A faint whimper emitted from his upper body.

“I’ll do anything,” he gulped, “for all of them.”

“Why should I waste my time on Voldemort’s lap dog?” The comment stung the young man, and his eyes pressed shut. He quivered in exasperation, unsure of how to respond, and then it struck him. Dumbledore would never place a soul in danger knowingly. Gradually, Severus stood, exposing what he had kept hush-hush beneath his cloak. Dumbledore sighed sadly, nodding his head.

In his arms was a tiny bundle of cream colored fabric. Dumbledore strode up to him and gently brushed away part of the blanket. A tiny face greeted him; the infant squirmed, reaching a feeble hand outwards. Its big black eyes stared at the elderly man in fascination, tufts of black curly hair sprouted outwards. Its small hand wrapped around Dumbledore’s thumb, gripping it pathetically.

“I suppose the babe is yours?” Dumbledore muttered halfheartedly, grinning down at the newborn.

“Yes,” Severus exclaimed, watching the old man play with his child.

“Does Voldemort know?”

Severus glanced downwards at his feet, humiliation overwhelming him. A twig snapped as a mouse darted from a ravenous eagle.

“Yes,” he reluctantly confirmed.

Dumbledore studied him carefully before gasping as the baby let out a sharp cry; both men stood rooted to their spots.

“What is its gender and age?”

“A girl of two months.” He brought her closer to him, holding her securely to his upper body.

“She is around Harry’s age; Harry is Lily’s child.”

Severus gulped, nodding.

“What is her name, Severus?”

“Laila Eileen Snape.”

Dumbledore stated, “This will complicate everything for you, Severus. Not only must you protect the Potters, but your newborn child as well. Voldemort will have much to fool around with.”

“He will not touch her.” For the first time that night, fury spewed from his mouth.

“Exactly which her, Severus?”

“Both,” he snarled heatedly.

“If I may,” Dumbledore declared reaching for Laila. Severus stepped back, afraid he would take her from him, but realized his foolishness and relented. While being handed over, Laila fidgeted and began to wail. Dumbledore cradled her and suddenly she stopped. She gurgled in frustration, instantly missing the refuge of her father.

“What of her mother?”

Severus paled. “My daughter…Was not born of regular circumstances.”

“Do continue,” Dumbledore encouraged, feeling remorse for the child.

Severus felt shame boil within him, his head drooped desolately. It took him several minutes to persevere, for he found his mind screaming an assortment of things. Tugging and pulling at his heart.

“Her mother attended Hogwarts, she was a Ravenclaw.” He breathed trying to calm himself, “She was a fellow Death Eater, and loved to drink.”

Dumbledore glanced at Severus, eyebrows arched in anticipation.

“One night we found both of ourselves…deeply intoxicated. I always appreciated good fire whiskey. Anyway…” He ended forlornly, “Nine months later Laila was born.”

“May I ask the name of Laila’s mother?”

Severus appeared dumbstruck. He gazed frightfully at the now sleeping baby in Dumbledore’s arms.

“Please, do not.”

“Why she is only an infant; she will never remember.”

Severus shook his head in fierce protest, “Her mother left for good, which is all she needs to know.”

“Another time then perhaps; now about the Potters,” Dumbledore announced, giving the baby back to her father. Severus winced at the name.

“My original plan would have been roughly ideal. But,” he looked at Laila, “I’m afraid it will not work for a father.”

An owl hooted shrilly in the distance. The sky now was utterly black. The only light illuminating the scene were the faint rays being discharged from the moon that reached out like fingers brushing their faces.

“Whatever you ask, I will do it,” the young man pleaded.

“If only it were so simple. You would be risking your life, and a child cannot thrive without a parent.”

“The only way I can somewhat fix the crime I’ve committed, would be to betray the Dark Lord. You know as well as I that no one does such and lives to tell the tale. So either way my life is at stake.”

“As is Laila’s,” Dumbledore added, watching a firefly flutter about, struggling in the wind.

“For you see, Severus, a child is affected by their parents’ mistakes and victories. They are thrown into the same stereotypes and sometimes forced to walk the same paths. Without doing so deliberately, you’ve already created a mold for her.”

Crickets chirped noisily, hopping over their feet. A bullfrog croaked in delight in a nearby pond. Leaves rustled impatiently as the wind finally began to settle down.

Another tear cascaded down his face; his features turned piteous.

“But, as previously stated, it matters not. The other flaw associated with the arrangement, is that it involves an extensive period of your time.”

Severus was completely baffled.

“I would like it if you would take an occupation at Hogwarts and spy on Voldemort. To justify this, simply tell your lord that you are spying on me; but that would be difficult considering you now have a new daughter.”

Gulping, Severus said, “I’ll do it. I can find someone to watch her.”

“You have no family, only fellow Death Eaters.”

“Her godparents,” he whispered, looking Dumbledore in the eyes. “They will see she comes to no harm, for they have a son of their own that is her age.”

“Who are they, Severus?”

“Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy.”

Dumbledore was silent for a minute, debating the suggestion. He knew for a fact that the couple was a pair of Death Eaters. Would it be wise to place Laila where Severus’s newfound loyalty and secret could be easily discovered by the enemy? Did they really have any other choice? A baby and Hogwarts did not, under any circumstances, mix well together.

“I believe that would be unobjectionable,” Dumbledore agreed unenthusiastically.

Severus swallowed nervously, once more clutching the frail infant snugly to him. Dumbledore watched, positive that this would be the redemption of Severus Snape. It would be slow and painful with a child, but would no doubt be successful.