Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Cassiopeia by Lunalovegoodrox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry bout the wait. after my first two stories were rejected, i didn't have high hopes for this one. enjoy!
"Nothing... just your pictures. You've got so many..." It sounded lame, even to Cassi. The girl came closer, giving Cassi the once-over, like a lion examining its prey before attack. Cassi stared back, looking at the girl who hated her with such a passion. Finally, she had the courage to speak.

"I didn't quite catch your name?" she said. The Other Girl looked at Cassi as though she had just asked for a pint of blood instead of identification.

"Lily," she said after a minute. "Lily Potter. C'mon, we'd better get your things upstairs. Cassi nodded mutely. She followed Lily like a robot. The two walked silently up the long flight of stairs. When they came to Lily's room, Cassi was surprised. Did she have to share? With the girl who looked at Cassi like she wouldn't mind if she dropped dead? Cassi shuddered.

Lily, unfortunately, saw the look of aversion on Cassi's face. "Look, I don't like this any more than you do. You wanted to go with your parents; I would've been quite happy if you'd left with them, too. But we can't change the situation. So while you're here, I have a few rules. That's my desk over there; and that's my bed. So this is MY side of the room, got that?" Then she walked away, leaving Cassi very much alone, very tired, and very sad.

~

Lily stormed downstairs, away from that awful Malfoy girl. Why had her parents picked this year to take in refugees? Lily went to the kitchen to talk to her mother, like she always did when things were looking worse than hopeless.

"So, I suppose you've got Cassiopeia settled in, then?" said Lily's mother as she walked in. "On the other hand, maybe not..." Lily looked ready to explode.

"Do you mind my asking why the Malfoys couldn't have asked somebody else to take in their child? Dad doesn't even like them! Neither do you! And now, I've got to share my room-"

Her mother broke in:"Lily Luna Potter, will you just keep your voice down? Look," and here she sat down at the table across from Lily, "we have to do our best to make her feel a little more welcome, alright? I know you're upset, believe me. But think about how she feels."

"How do I do that?" asked Lily, exasperated. "How can I? I don't even know her."

"That's the point; you don't know her. How would you feel if Dad and I had to leave because we were in trouble and we had to leave you with the Malfoys?"

Lily thought she knew where this was going, so she said cheekily, "I'd be perfectly fine." Her mother sighed. "Just get to know her a bit. You may find you don't hate her after all." Her mother got up and wen back to the dishes. Lily sighed. "I can't. I just can't," she whispered. She got up from the table and went out of the room, almost knocking Cassi over. She didn't even stop to explain, and she didn't feel anything when she saw the look on Cassi's pale face.

~

I don't think you have ever been struck by lightening. Nor have I, and not many people go through that horrible experience. But Cassi was sure she knew how it felt. For several minutes she couldn't move. Then, remembering why she had come downstairs in the first place, she walked into the kitchen.

Mrs. Potter, a slim lady with big brown eyes and hair that was (if at all possible) redder than Lily's. At the moment, the eyes were tired, but they brightened when they spotted Cassi.

"I wondered when you'd be down." When Cassi looked surprised, Mrs. Potter only smiled. "You don't lie very well dear. I saved you a bit of breakfast. It's not warm, but it will just have to do." She smiled at Cassi.

Cassi took the plate, muttered a "thanks" and sat down at th table. Mrs. Potter sat down across from her. It was coming. Cassi could feel it.

"Listen, about Lily," Mrs. Potter began after Cassi had finished eating. Cassi normally would have blocked her out. But there was something about the kind brown eyes that made Cassi split in half, pouring out her story to the kind woman in the same way Cassi's mother used to pour lemonade on hot summer days.

"She doesn't like me. I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with my father. She just flat out doesn't like me. She thinks I hate her, but I don't. I haven't got any friends except my brother, and Mum told me he's not aloud to write to me! What am going to do?"

Cassi had kept up bravely until now, never shedding a tear, not even when her parents had left without even giving her a hug. But now the tears flowed out of her as steadily as the words now poured out of her mouth. She couldn't stop them, couldn't control them, and after a few minutes she didn't try to.


~

Ginny got up while the little girl was sobbing. She made cocoa, just as she did whenever her children were upset. At first she didn't know how to respond. Her first instinct was to say that Lily didn't hate her, but with a nine-year-old girl, she knew that the response would be a rather whiny,"Yes she does!"

When her crying had been reduced to sniffling, Ginny handed over the cocoa. "Feel a little better?" The child nodded. "Do they call you Cassiopeia, or something shorter?"

"Just Cassi."

"That's a nice name. Let me tell you something Cassi."

"What?"

"Lily doesn't hate you, exactly. She's just used to having most of our attention focused on her. She's the very youngest in the family, and she's not used to sharing everything. Just give her time."

Cassi nodded. But she looked very unconvinced.