Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Can't Let Go by KimTomPW

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do NOT own the Harry Potter series. That credit goes to the brilliant mind of J.K. Rowling. Go Jo! I also do not own some of the material used. Again that belongs to Jo and Warner Brothers.

Chapter 2 Arriving

It was dinner time at the Grangers’ house. Hermione had tears in her eyes, just like she did every night at this time for a week now. Her parents knew the reason for the tears, but thought it was all for the best… especially her mother. They were arguing about “the boy”, as her mother loved to describe him, again.

“I miss him, and you don’t even care,” Hermione cried.

Her face fell to the table. Her father, caught in between his daughter and wife, though he usually sided with his wife, hadn’t said anything at this point in the argument.

“You’re better off without him,” Mrs. Granger said.

Hermione looked up, face redder than ever now. How could her mother say that?

“Shut up,” Hermione snapped.

Her mother looked down in shock. Hermione quickly covered her mouth. She couldn’t believe she had actually told her mother to shut up. Hermione hadn’t really been herself since being back at home.

“I’m sorry,” Hermione apologized.

Hermione excused herself from the table and ran upstairs to her room. Mr. and Mrs. Granger now knew that there was no denying that their daughter was in love with “the boy”.

“She’s really hung up on this boy, isn’t she?” Mr. Granger asked.

Meanwhile, Hermione, tears still rolling down her face, was throwing everything out of her drawers. She didn’t care of the mess she was making now. As long as she found what she was looking for, cleaning up would be a breeze.

“Where’s your address Ron?” Hermione demanded out loud.

Unfortunately, she never found it. Which meant cleaning up was nothing short of fun. But wait a minute… she didn’t really need an address to send an owl, right? So why was she looking for it?

xxx

Hermione had cried herself to sleep that night. It was the next day when a figure appeared at the Grangers’ drive a little after noon. Ron took a deep breath as he walked in front of Hermione’s house. He walked up the steps, each one leaving him more in a panic. He knocked on the door and waited. It was Mrs. Granger who finally answered. Her eyes widened at the sight of him.

“Ronald? What a surprise to see you here,” she said.

She gave Ron the fakest smile he had ever seen. Ron’s eyes glanced inside the house.

“Ron,” he heard someone yell.

It was the most beautiful sound he had heard in a long time. He looked more inside to see Hermione running at him. Ron thought Hermione must have been sitting on the stairs for her to have heard her mother.

“Hi, Hermione,” Ron smiled.

He had barely got the words out before being almost chocked to death by Hermione. They were in this position for so long that Ron didn’t know if Hermione would ever let go.

“I… I can’t believe you’re here,” Hermione sobbed after finally letting go of Ron.

“Surprise,” Ron smiled, raising his arms slightly.

He took her hand, trying to stop her crying. After a few deep breaths, Hermione was fine. They walked back inside the house after realizing they were still outside.

“Oh, it’s so good to see you,” Hermione said, not really noticing her mother was still in the room.

She took Ron’s hand and began guiding him upstairs. Ron felt his heart began to beat faster. He glanced over at Hermione’s mother, who was apparently too shocked to speak. He hadn’t expected this kind of reaction out of Hermione. Had two weeks really changed her that much?

“I like your room,” Ron said as Hermione closed her door.

Ron watched as Hermione sighed and sat on her bed. The walls were baby blue, probably to go with her multi-colored blue bedding. He wasn’t at all surprised to find a large bookshelf beside her desk. However, he was surprised to see a stereo on her desk. He recognized it from a similar one that his father had brought home one time. Hermione, who had been there at the time, told them what it was and what it did.

“Can you answer me one question?” Hermione asked.

Ron sat down next to her and covered her hand with his.

“Sure,” he nodded.

She looked down, obviously embarrassed about what she was going to ask.

“Have you been writing to me?” Hermione asked.

Ron opened his mouth, but nothing came out at first. Was she being serious?

“Of course I have,” Ron said.

Hermione got up from her bed. Her eyes moved to the only window in her room. She walked over to it and crossed her arms.

“I suppose they’ve been getting lost because I haven’t gotten a single one,” Hermione said.

Ron gave a small laugh and smiled. He then got up too and walked up behind her.

“That’s a relief, because a moment there I thought…” he began before he felt pressure on his mouth, stopping him from continuing.

Hermione’s lips were on Ron’s before he could react properly. His eyes closed as his hand found the small of Hermione’s back. His eyes then bolted open and stopped himself before anything else happened.

“Hermione, what if your mum or dad walked in?” Ron asked, pulling her back, but still holding her.

Both of their faces were flush.

“Oh, I… I’m so sorry. I wasn’t thinking,” Hermione admitted.

Ron turned towards the desk as he heard the song that was coming from the stereo. He hadn’t noticed any music was coming out of it before.

“You like this song?” Ron asked.

“It’s nice,” Hermione said, not acting too interested in it though.

Ron took her hand and spun her once. Hermione began laughing.

“What?,” Ron asked.

“I can’t dance,” Hermione admitted.

Ron looked down and smiled. He didn’t think she was so bad at Bill and Fleur’s wedding. If anything, he was the bad dancer.

“Well… I can always make you,” Ron said, looking back up.

“Oh, yeah? How?” Hermione asked.

Ron just smiled, which made Hermione nervous.

xxx

Ron laughed as he watched Hermione fidget with her blue blouse. It was apparent to Ron that blue was obviously Hermione’s favorite color. Guilt took over as he realized that this was something he should’ve all ready known. Ron took hold of Hermione’s hand, which seemed to calm her a little.

“Ron, I told you I can’t dance,” Hermione said as they entered the club.

She allowed him to guide her to the bar area. She looked around, watching everyone dance and having a good time. Ron leaned into her.

“I’ll let you in on a little secret. Neither can I,” he whispered with a laugh.

Hermione laughed too as the bartender came up to them.

“What will it be,” he asked.

Ron turned to Hermione. He had admittedly expected to find her staring at the bartender. The dark haired man had to be only a couple of years older than them. The fact that he was also more muscular than Ron made him self conscious. Hermione, however, had eyes for only Ron, which made him smile.

“Care for a drink?” Ron asked.

Her eyebrows leveled. She had forgotten for a moment that they were of age.

“Ron…” Hermione began.

Ron smiled. Hermione had never been one to drink. As far as Ron knew, the only other drink besides Butterbeer that Hermione had consumed, alcohol wise anyway, was Fire Whiskey. And that was during the summer that they were supposed to be starting their seventh year at Hogwarts.

“What? It’s not like either of us are driving,” Ron laughed.

Hermione took a deep breath as she took a bottle from Ron’s hand.

“It’s no Butterbeer mind you, but it’s not bad,” Ron said, taking a drink.

Hermione gave him a closed mouth smile and took a drink. Ron watched to see how she’d react.

“Harry’s right,” Hermione sighed.

She took another drink and looked down.

“About what?” Ron asked.

This wasn’t the reaction he thought he’d get out of her. She looked back up and smiled.

“You are a bad influence on me,” Hermione laughed.

Ron smiled as Hermione took another drink. He’d have to remember to ask Harry when he had told Hermione this. He tilted the rest of the liquid that was in the bottle into his mouth, hoping it would give him more confidence.

“Let’s dance,” Ron laughed.

Hermione took one last drink as Ron put down his empty bottle and grabbed her hand. Ron hadn’t noticed that whenever he took hold of Hermione’s hips that she went red and looked down. Hermione’s hands were now wrapped around Ron’s neck as they swayed to the music. She bit her lip and looked down.

“What?” Ron asked.

Hermione smiled and placed her hand on his cheek.

“How do you do it?” she asked.

Ron lowered his eyebrows.

“Do what?” he asked.

Hermione glanced at his mouth and bit her lip again.

“Make me lose all sense of logic,” she said in almost a whisper.

Ron smiled and pulled Hermione to his lips.

xxx

It was midnight whenever Ron and Hermione got back. They tried to be as quiet as possible as to not wake up Hermione’s parents. Hermione’s father, however, had apparently stayed up waiting for them, because he met them at the foot of the stairs.

“Dad,” Hermione gasped.

Ron was attempting to let go of Hermione’s hand, but she was holding on so tight that it was clear she didn’t want to.

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell your mum. I do, however, have one request,” Mr. Granger said.

Hermione and Ron glanced at each other.

“Ronald must sleep on the couch,” Mr. Granger said.

Ron could tell immediately that this didn’t set well with Hermione.

“Dad…” Hermione began to protest before Ron squeezed her hand.

“Hermione that seems like a perfectly reasonable request,” Ron said.

He looked at her dad, who nodded in approval.

“I’ll see you two in the morning,” Mr. Granger said.

Ron and Hermione watched him ascend the stairs. Hermione sighed and looked at Ron.

“You can always sneak up later,” she whispered.

Ron smiled and let go of her.

“I don’t think that’s such a smart idea,” he said.

Hermione looked down, looking a little disappointed. That made it even hard for Ron to stick with his decision.

“Since when have you been the logical one?” Hermione asked.

“Well, I have been around you for ten years,” Ron laughed.

Hermione looked up and smiled.

“Goodnight, Ron,” she said.

She leaned it and softly kissed him.

“Night, Hermione,” Ron said.

Hermione started walking up the stairs, Ron towards the living room. Ron turned and smiled finding that Hermione was turned as well. He lay on the couch, but couldn’t sleep. Ron had never remembered Mr. and Mrs. Granger ever being this strict before. Then again, he and Hermione weren’t together at the time either. Still, he felt that something was off. It was at this moment Ron decided that he would stay to figure out what it was.

xxx

The next morning at breakfast was quiet. Ron figured it was because if anything was mentioned about last night, all hell would break loose.

“Did you kids have fun last night?” Mrs. Granger finally asked.

Ron looked over at Hermione’s mother, but remained silent. Again, not wanting to give her any chance to be mad at him.

“Mum, please,” Hermione begged.

And that was surprisingly the end of that subject. After breakfast, Ron and Hermione walked into the living room.

“What is it, Ron?” Hermione asked, noticing Ron nervous glances towards the kitchen where Mr. and Mrs. Granger were.

Ron stood standing as Hermione was sitting on the couch.

“I think I’ll stay here for a while,” he said.

Hermione got up, walked over to Ron, and placed a hand on his.

“I’m glad that you are,” she smiled.

Ron smiled back, hoping that this was the right thing to do.

AN:

So, Ron thinks something’s up. What will happen after he’s given the spare bedroom? Find out in the next chapter!