Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Can't Let Go by KimTomPW

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do NOT own the Harry Potter series. That credit goes to the brilliant mind of J.K. Rowling. Go Jo! I also do not own some of the material used. Again that belongs to Jo and Warner Brothers.

Chapter 4 Hermione’s Thought, Ron’s Decision

Ron had brought Hermione back in, and Professor McGonagall told her what she needed to do…well, almost everything. She had conveniently forgotten to tell Hermione certain information as to why she had lost her memory to begin with.

“Ready?” Professor McGonagall asked.

Hermione only nodded.

“Now, this might feel somewhat strange at first,” Professor McGonagall said.

Hermione kept her eyes closed as Professor McGonagall extracted bits of memory from her. Ron held on to her hand the entire time.

“I’ll leave you now,” Professor McGonagall said.

Hermione took a deep breath as the door closed.

“It’s alright.” Ron said.

Hermione took Ron’s other hand and looked into his eyes.

“Are you coming with me?” she asked.

Whether it was because she was scared or because she just wanted him to, he didn’t know. Hermione, even without all her knowledge, somehow was able to figure out how the Pensieve worked.

“If you want me to, I will,” Ron said.

Hermione nodded. Ron smiled and put a hand on her cheek.

“I do,” Hermione said.

Their faces plunged into the cauldron. They looked around the train station that they were now standing in.

“Where are we?” Hermione asked.

Ron turned around, scratching his head.

“I think you mean when. We’re at King’s Cross, but I don’t know what year,” he said.

Hermione grabbed on to Ron as they began to travel again. Ron smiled when they reappeared on a train.

“Now we’re on the Hogwarts Express,” he said.

The two then began looking around. Ron’s eyes grew at the sight of an eleven year old Hermione and Neville.

“Don’t worry, we’ll find your toad,” the eleven year old Hermione assured the eleven year old Neville.

Ron tapped Hermione’s shoulder, and she turned to face her younger self.

“Ah, our first year,” Ron sighed.

The name of the boy with the eleven year old Hermione hit the older Hermione like a Bludger.

“Neville,” Hermione gasped.

She turned to Ron, who was smiling at her.

“Good, you’re remembering,” Ron said.

They then quickly began following the eleven year old Hermione down the corridor. Ron knew what was coming next as the younger Hermione opened the compartment door that held the eleven year old Ron and Harry.

“Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville’s lost one,” the younger Hermione said.

“No,” the eleven year old Ron said.

It was then that Ron finally saw the past and present Hermione standing side by side. Was it possible that her hair was bushier then than it was now? He shock away from his thoughts as the present Hermione began laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Ron asked.

Hermione had to take a deep breath before answering.

“Didn’t you notice the dirt on your nose?” she asked.

Ron looked down and smiled.

“No, but you have no trouble telling me here in a bit,” he laughed.

The room then began to spin again.

“Now where are we?” Hermione asked, placing a hand on her head.

Ron’s face fell as he saw their twelve and thirteen year old selves’ walk up to the Gryffindor and Slytherin house teams.

“Hogwarts… second year,” Ron said with hardly opening his mouth.

“Why do you sound so glum?” Hermione asked.

She then took notice of the fight going on.

“Why did you have to remember my most embarrassing moment?” Ron moaned.

Hermione glanced over at him, not knowing what it could be. She turned and then remembered the name of the blonde Slytherin that was now talking.

“Malfoy…” Hermione said underneath her breath.

She then turned her attention to her younger self.

“At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent,” the thirteen year old Hermione said.

The present Hermione saw both the past and present Ron tense up.

“No one asked your opinion. You filthy little Mudblood,” the twelve year old Malfoy said.

Hermione took Ron’s hand just in case he got the urge to jump Malfoy.

“You’ll pay for that one, Malfoy. Eat slugs,” the twelve year old Ron yelled.

Hermione watched as her and Harry helped Ron off the field.

“Oh, Ron,” she sighed.

“Told you it is embarrassing,” he said.

His eyes grew as Hermione wrapped him in her arms.

“You were protecting me. No wonder why I fell for you,” Hermione said.

She noticed Ron’s face was in shock as she pulled him back.

“You… you know what that name means then?” Ron asked.

“I’m slowly remembering things,” Hermione said.

She smiled, hoping Ron would return it.

“Good,” Ron smiled.

The scene then changed again.

“Third year I’m guessing,” Hermione said.

Ron was too busy laughing to hear her.

“I’ve never forgotten this,” he said.

Hermione turned as she heard yells.

“You! You foul, louse some, evil, little cockroach,” the fourteen year old Hermione yelled to Malfoy.

Hermione nervously glanced over at Ron, who couldn’t get the smile off his face.

“Hermione, no! He’s not worth it,” the fourteen year old Ron said.

Hermione had to cover her mouth and laugh now too after seeing herself punch Malfoy.

“That felt good,” her fourteen year old self said.

“Not good. Brilliant,” the fourteen year old Ron smiled.

Hermione glanced down at her hand as Ron took it and leaned in.

“You were brilliant,” Ron whispered.

Hermione felt her cheeks getting hotter as he kissed her cheek.

“Thanks,” she smiled.

xxx

They emerged from the Pensieve thirty minutes later.

“Ron… I remember,” Hermione smiled.

Hermione flung her arms around Ron and kissed him. They quickly broke apart as the door opened.

“Is everything all right?” Professor McGonagall asked.

Hermione and Ron looked at each other and smiled.

“Everything’s perfect, Professor,” Hermione said.

They both looked back at Professor McGonagall as she cleared her throat.

“Now I must insist you stay with the Weasleys, Miss Granger. I will have your things delivered to the Burrow as soon as possible,” Professor McGonagall said.

“Thank you,” Hermione smiled.

Professor McGonagall then motioned for Ron to stay as Hermione walked out.

“And, Mr. Weasley, remember what I told you,” she said.

Ron nodded and left.

xxx

When Ron and Hermione got to the Burrow the next day, there were two unexpected visitors waiting for them.

“It’s about time you two showed up,” said the red haired girl.

Ron and Hermione both smiled when they saw who it was.

“Harry! Ginny,” Hermione squealed.

Hermione embraced Ginny like she hadn’t even left. Harry and Ron shook hands.

“When did you get in?” Ron asked.

“A couple of days ago,” Harry said.

Mrs. Weasley came into the kitchen from the garden.

“What’s with all this noise?” she demanded.

She gasped when she saw Ron and Hermione.

“You’re back,” Molly sobbed.

She took the both of them in her arms.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” Molly cried.

Harry noticed Hermione’s tense face after being let go.

“You all right there, Hermione?” he asked.

She turned to him and smiled.

“It’s… I’m… I’ve just missed you all,” Hermione said.

Mrs. Weasley quickly made sandwiches and asked Ron and Hermione what had happened. They had fabricated a story that painted a very normal visit for Molly, Harry, and Ginny.

xxx

Ginny and Hermione were with Mrs. Weasley while Ron and Harry were in Ron’s room. Ron had just finished telling Harry about his plan to marry Hermione.

“So, you’re really going through with it then?” Harry asked.

Ron nodded and put the ring back in his pocket. He loved Hermione, and he wasn’t going to let her go again.

“I’ve been putting it off long enough. You know how long I’ve had this ring for,” Ron said.

Harry smiled and let out a small laugh. He was there, helping Ron pick out the ring that was intended for Hermione. It seemed like ages since that day. Hermione and Ginny were off finishing their last year at Hogwarts. They had gotten so mad at Ron and Harry for not going, but they had other plans. Harry knew going back wasn’t an option. Ron was surely not going back without Harry.

“When were you planning on asking?” Harry asked.

Ron looked down at the floor as if debating that same question. He then looked back up at Harry.

“Supper… tomorrow night,” Ron said.

Harry saw Ron smile and mess with his hair, which Harry didn’t think Ron realized that he was doing it.

“Well, I wish you the best,” he said.

Ron took a deep breath and got up.

“Thanks. So, when are you and Ginny…” he began.

Harry laughed and threw his arms up in the air.

“Hey, I don’t even have a ring yet,” he said.

Harry too then got up as Ron headed for the door.

“You better do it soon,” Ron said as he opened it.

Harry’s face then became serious as Ron’s words hit him.

“I’m beginning to realize that,” he said.

xxx

Ron had even asked George to come to dinner. Everyone was surprised when Percy showed up that night. It was like they all knew something big was going to happen. Ron leaned into Harry so that no one could hear.

“You didn’t tell Dad anything, did you?” he whispered.

Harry shook his head as Ginny sat next to him.

“No,” he said.

They all were about finished with their meal when Ron cleared his throat and stood up.

“Can I have your attention, please?” Ron asked.

Everyone looked at Ron with puzzled faces. Harry of course was going along with it. Hermione’s eyes widened as Ron turned to her.

“Hermione, we’ve both through a lot the past couple of months,” Ron said.

She nodded in agreement.

“Hermione Jean Granger…” Ron began as he went towards his pocket.

Hermione cupped her hands over her mouth as Ron went down on one knee. Mrs. Weasley immediately began crying loudly. Everyone else had big smiles on their faces.

“I lost you once. I’m not losing you again. Will you marry me?” Ron asked.

Hermione pulled Ron to her lips.

“Yes,” she sobbed after they broke apart.

Everything began clapping.

“Well, it’s about time you asked. You’ve had that ring for ages,” George said.

Ron turned and gave George a perplexed look.

“How did you…” he began.

“You don’t think I’ve noticed all the times in the joke shop that you’ve taken it out to look at it?” George laughed.

Ron looked down as he felt his face become warmer. Mrs. Weasley ran to hug her future daughter-in-law.

“Welcome to the family,” she smiled.

THE END

AN:

Yes, I know you’re wondering… what about the wedding? Well, personally, I don’t think I’d be able to depict and good enough wizard wedding like Bill and Fleur’s. By all means, if you want to try, go for it. Just please let me know first. Thanks!!!!