Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Take Me Far Away by Karaley Dargen

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Remus? Are you listening?”

His father’s voice caused Remus to snap out of his reverie. Platform nine and three-quarters was just too overwhelming for the young boy; never in his life had he seen so many people in one place, let alone children of his own age. The whole platform was buzzing with the sound of parents saying goodbye to their children, friends greeting each other cheerfully, comparing new broomsticks and discussing their holidays. Remus could not help but notice that everybody seemed to know someone already; he could hardly spot any child standing around alone, like he was. There was a bit of a commotion nearby, and suddenly he saw a red-haired girl dart into one of the doors of the steam-engine that was waiting to take them to Hogwarts. She had been small, certainly not older than Remus himself; would she be in his year at Hogwarts, one of his classmates throughout the seven years he would spend at that place he had already completely pictured in his head (and so wonderful it was)?

As a ‘meow’ came close to his ankles, Remus couldn’t help but notice that a lot of the sounds weren’t coming from the students and parents on the platform, but from animals “ cats, toads and owls mainly “ that were apparently the many students’ pets. His father had, however, not allowed Remus to get one himself. He really wanted a toad after he had heard two witches in Diagon Alley talk about how toads were the latest fashion at Hogwarts, but his father would hear nothing of it, and had just dragged him on. Maybe next year, Remus had told himself, maybe when I’ve proven that I can do well at school he’ll let me have a toad, or even an owl. In fact, there had been a lot of things Remus would have liked to have but his father, keeping strictly to the items on Remus’ school list, wouldn’t buy him. Not for lack of money, but because, as he told Remus again and again, he would not need them anyway. Remus guessed that his father was still skeptical about him attending school, and did not want to buy all those things for his son in case something went wrong and Remus wouldn’t return there for his second year. That theory had caused a great determinedness in Remus to prove himself, to show his father that he had been right in letting him go to Hogwarts. A determinedness so great, in fact, that for the moment it overshadowed all the nervousness at beginning a completely new chapter in his life, leaving his father and the safety of home behind and living with complete strangers. What would it be like, though, to have boys of his own age to talk to?

“Remus!” his father’s voice sounded again, this time a bit more sternly.

“I’m sorry, Dad, what did you say?” Remus asked, finally turning back to his father and looking at him apologetically.

“I asked whether you remember everything we discussed, and if you could possibly go through the plan one last time,” he answered patiently.

They had gone through this again and again, so often that Remus now knew every detail of the ‘plan’ by heart.

“On the afternoon before every full moon, I’ll go to the nurse... Madam Pomfrey? And she’s going to take me past a tree“ a Whomping Willow,” Remus recited, “and then through a tunnel, to a room where I am to stay during my transformations, and then the next morning she is going to fetch me and take me to the castle again.”

“Good,” his father said, fidgeting with the collar of Remus’ shirt nervously. “And when someone asks you where you’re going, what will you tell them?”

“I’ll say I’m visiting a sick relative, or that I’m ill and need to stay in the Infirmary,” Remus said hastily, eager to finally get on the train. The clock he could see from where they were standing, a little away from the crowd, was telling him that he still had over ten minutes until the train left, but he couldn’t wait to start that new, exciting part of his life.

“Right,” Remus’ father finally said, apparently at ease for the moment. Then, after he had looked at the scarlet steam-engine for a second, he suddenly gripped Remus by the shoulders and looked straight at his face, suddenly sounding very strict, and even more serious than before. “There is a full moon in four days. If anything at all goes wrong, you’ll take the train back home the next day, is that clear?”

Remus gulped and nodded, though he couldn’t suppress a shudder. What if something did go wrong, even if it wasn’t his fault? He had no control once he had transformed, how could he make sure he would stay inside that room? He had, however, no means of making sure that it would all work out, so he had no choice but to accept his father’s terms.

“Dad?” Remus asked, suddenly insecure. “Will I really have to stay there all alone?”

His father crouched down next to Remus and pulled him into a hug. “I’m sorry son, but yes you will. You’re not a little boy anymore, and your werewolf form is growing stronger too. I can hardly handle you anymore during the full moon, and who knows what it will be like even in a year. No, Remus, I’m sorry“ look, I really am, but you have to do this on your own now. I know you can do this, you’ve been so brave all these years.” He let go of Remus and looked at his wristwatch. “Almost time to go already... I got you something for the train ride; if my memory isn’t making a complete fool of me, it is a rather long journey.”

For a moment, Remus was startled at his father’s reaction. He rarely showed such emotion and affection to Remus; maybe this wasn’t a huge change for Remus alone after all. As his father started rummaging in his bag however, all of Remus’ fears and worries were suddenly replaced by curiosity, and his eyes grew round with glee as his father, a very knowing smile on his face, handed him a book. Remus took it in both hands, a feeling of great joy rushing through him as he looked on the cover of Peter Pan. As he looked back up at his father however, he felt a sudden pang in his heart, and rushed forward to hug him again.

“I’ll miss you Dad.” Remus pressed his face against his father’s chest, eyes tightly shut.

“I’ll miss you too, Remus, a lot...”

They stood in silence for a while, Remus’ father patting the back of Remus’ head, and Remus holding him tight.

“Write when you’re there, will you?” He finally said, gently pushing Remus away. “It’s really getting time now; you wouldn’t want the train to leave without you,” he added with a half smile.

They said one last goodbye, and then Remus was hopping on the train, walking through the corridors, clutching his new book to his chest. He was desperately trying to find an empty compartment, but everywhere he looked there were people “ and they all were so tall, they had to be at least three years older than him! Weren’t there any other eleven-year-olds? He half wished to find the red-haired girl he had seen earlier, but before he could think about that any longer, he found a completely deserted compartment, where he would at least be able to read in peace. He sat down next to the window and tried to catch a last glimpse at his father. The platform was still very crowded, although now there were much fewer children, adolescents, pets and luggage trolleys than waving parents calling goodbyes to their children. He skimmed every bit of the platform he could see from his compartment window, but his father was nowhere in sight. Where is that clock? Remus thought, if I can find the clock, I can find him from there... And then, just as he finally spotted both the clock and his father, the train jolted into drive. He waved frantically to get his father’s attention, because he was sure that he hadn’t seen him yet; and just before the train turned a corner Remus was sure he had seen his father give him a wink and a short wave.
Chapter Endnotes: I want to use this amazing space here to thank the fabulous Ari (A.H.) for betaing this to me, fixing my sentence length and make it flowwwww. ^__^