Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Follow Your Heart Not Your Mind by jubjub15

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Ginny. Ginny listen to me. Stop talking over me, Ginny, you don’t understand.” I don’t even understand, he thought to himself. Harry’s brow was creased and he was looking a bit put out at the situation.

Ginny was still storming from one side of the room to the other. Her hair had now completely freed itself from its grips and was tumbling around her face in ferocious waves, tousled to within an inch of its life because she had been obsessively running her hand though it throughout the last half an hour. Her hands, in fists at her side, looked like they were ready to lash out at Harry at a moment’s notice. After watching Mrs. Weasley and Ginny shout at each other about the pros and cons of Ginny talking to himself alone, Harry had then been pulled, pushed and practically manhandled into the bathroom by his fiancé. Although, he wasn’t sure if that term was still appropriate in the current situation.

The light was fading fast outside the window and birds were still singing their light, jolly tunes, oblivious to what was going on in the house. They were completely unaware that the relationship of the two people inside had reached make-or-break time. The raised voice of a feisty red haired girl floated out on the light wind though the open window, breaking though the soft summer evening.

“Don’t you patronize me; don’t you even dare, Harry. Remember that I am the youngest child of my family, with six older brothers, none of whom went easy on me because I was a girl. I play Quidditch professionally Harry, and that’s not exactly a picnic, is it?

“I fought in the battle, although you didn’t think I was strong enough for that. You didn’t even want me to fight; another time when you thought I was too weak. I’m a woman now, Harry; I’m of age, so I am allowed to make my own choices. Oh, and let’s not forget the main thing: I’m not childish enough to cheat on someone. Would you say after all of that that I am still a child? That I can’t form my own conclusions from things I have heard my fiancé say outside my bedroom window, on my wedding day?” Ginny’s eyebrows were raised and she was looking at Harry with a look of mock interest, as if she really did want to hear his opinion.

“No… I… that wasn’t,,, Ginny, stop this!” Harry stuttered. There was an edge to his voice as he tried to get a word in edgeways. He could feel the anger bubbling up inside his chest. This was proving harder than I thought it would be, he thought to himself.

“Well, it sounds like that’s exactly what you are saying, so go on Harry. I’m on the edge of my seat to hear how you are going to get yourself out of this one!” Ginny’s eyes were flashing menacingly, and this was the most cross Harry had ever seen her. His stomach was now in such complicated knots he thought he was going to be sick, or at the very least, pass out. He had heard tales about the anger of the Weasley women, and none of them ended well.

“Look, Ginny, sweetheart.” He reached out to touch her shoulder but she moved away. He continued talking; his voice was more forceful and hard than it had been before. “I don’t know what you heard, but it wasn’t true. I have never been unfaithful to you. Would you stop throwing these wild accusations at me?” The last question came tumbling out all in a rush of anger and hurt. He was worried that if he didn’t get it out fast enough, Ginny would cut him off again and he wasn’t sure he would be able to endure that without yelling at her.

“I don’t have to do anything of the sort. Don’t you get it? I gave you everything. I trusted you, and you - you threw it back in my face as if it meant nothing.” Ginny was trying to keep feeling out of her voice, scared of showing how vulnerable she felt, but it was difficult. She had so many emotions swirling around her head she could hardly separate them. Anger, hurt, sadness, loss and relief were like fish, swimming around her at an alarming rate.

Anger that Harry dared to deny cheating on her, claiming that she was mistaken. Hurt that he obviously didn’t love her. Loss of the love she thought they shared, loss of the only person she had ever really loved, someone she had trusted enough to allow her guard down; the wall she had built in order to protect her form this exact situation. And finally - and maybe this was why Ginny had been so confused - relief, that she had been realized from the trap she had felt she was in. She loved Harry with all her heart, sometimes so much that she thought she would explode, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was doing the wrong thing. All she wanted was reassurance that Harry loved her as much as she loved him, but sadly she had gotten the complete opposite.

“Harry, tell me honestly: do you love me?”

“Ginny, I love you with all my heart!” His voice was softer now, as he had resigned to the fact that getting cross wasn’t going to do him any favors in terms of getting Ginny to believe him. “I love the way you brush your hair out of your eyes when you are worried about something. I love the way you don’t take any rubbish from anyone. Ginny, I would die for you. Please believe me that I did not cheat on you with Cho. I have known you for five years; why would I throw that all away?” He became unable to swallow his anger and his voice was annoyed again. “How could you even think I would do something like that?”

“Then how do you explain what I heard? What was I supposed to think, Harry? It’s not exactly what a bride wants to hear on her wedding day.”

As Ginny’s eyes ran searchingly over Harry’s face, desperately trying to find a shred of honesty on it, she saw something she had only rarely seen running though his eyes: determination. It was as if his heart would break right there and then with the longing to be believed. It was the one type of determination that could only come from having to face situations that were so important, he thought that he might just explode. That's how badly Harry wanted to succeed- when he felt as if there was no point in living a second longer unless he got what he wanted. Ginny didn't see it during the Triwizard tournament. She didn’t even see it when he played Quiddich - a sport that meant everything to him. In fact, she had only seen it on his face when he faced Voldemort that final time. When the whole school stood around the edge of the hall during the battle at Hogwarts, was when he was convinced that the lives of everyone he loved were in his hands. He would do anything he could to save them. Ginny saw that his yearning to be believed and the determination to make her see the truth may be the proof she needed. And the torrent of abuse, the hexes that were about to spill out of her mouth, dissolved on her tongue, melting like butter.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading ..again! :) hope you enjoyed this chapter, comments would be good to know what you guys think!