Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

And the Strongest of These is Love by Eternity27

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hello! I'm Eternity27, and this is my first fanfic here on mugglenet. Enjoy!
BEEP! BEEP!


The blaring alarm clock’s insistent noises couldn’t be ignored. It was an impossible feat. It was like a beacon of blinding light in an abyss of pure dark, or a glass bottle crashing in absolute silence. The alarm clock’s owner groaned loudly, throwing an arm to halt the harsh sounds. However, having her face buried in a pillow, the young woman “ whom the arm belonged to “ missed her target and instead rammed her hand into her pet cat, Stitch. Stitch, having been resting on the small table as well as the alarm clock, was disturbed and yowled in anger and surprise. Leaping, fur standing on end, the feline pounced roughly upon her owner, causing Kaye Rayne to jolt up in bed and scream in fright.


Breathing hard, eyes wide, Kaye rapidly blinked to adjust to the sun’s bright rays. Running a hand through her dark-brown hair, she wearily silenced her alarm. Oh God, what a way to start the morning…


Lazily swinging her legs to the edge of the bed, Kaye sighed sleepily and slid off. Yawning cat-like, she dragged herself to the shower, movements slow and rusty. She took her time, letting the warm water cascade down her back. The scent of her lavender shampoo clung to her as she stepped out, many minutes later, wrapped in a single fluffy towel.


I’m totally blanking on what’s happening today, she thought off-handedly, toweling off her dripping hair once she had dressed. If there is anything.


Surrendering “ her hair just wouldn’t dry by the towel “ Kaye swung into the bathroom after having put on some music (sponsored by her iPod). Pulling out the blow-dryer, she let its hot breath evaporate the water clinging to her shoulder-length hair. Then it came to her as she stared into the mirror. I suppose I’m gonna have to decide what school to go to this year…


The thought dampened her mood. Having moved from California, it was difficult to adapt to her new life in England. Kaye had been born in the United States and had absolutely loved it there “ such variety and beauty and so many, many friends. England was wonderful as well but in such a different level. The packing, the paperwork, the goodbyes… Kaye switched the blow-dryer off quietly, wiping away a single tear that stuck to her long eyelashes. Yes, she still was in contact with everyone (the technology these days was astounding), but it wasn’t the same. Nothing was.


And that brought her back to the subject of school. It wasn’t just the thought of the new friends she’d have to make, but all the paperwork and the decisions… it boggled her brain and made her mind ache. She was only eleven, after all!


Stuffing the blow-dryer away in her drawer, she sniffed loudly. This brought her back and made her realize how impossible she sounded. Breathing deeply, she talked herself out of it.


“No, Kaye, none of this. You live in England now and wallowing around in self-pity won’t help anything. Snap out of it, snap out of it…”


Slightly re-energized, Kaye returned to her room and bustled about; pulling together a suitable outfit she’d wear that day. Multiple times she had to be careful of her step. Still-annoyed Stitch kept mewing noisily, tagging along after her mistress and encircling her ankles. Not only that, but her room was a pig-sty, a mess. One day that’ll change, Kaye thought vaguely but soon realized she had been telling herself the same thing for months. Ah well. Doesn’t bother me.


Once she was satisfied with her clothes, Kaye twirled into the family room. Her mother had left a few pieces of toast resting on a plate and the opportunity was too perfect. Reaching out, she plucked one from the pile and promptly popped in into her mouth. That’s when she noticed a thick, yellow envelope upon the table. It had no postmark.


Odd. Picking it up, Kaye examined it curiously. It appeared and felt like it was made of some parchment-like substance. Her name and address were neatly written out in green script with long, curving letters. On the opposite side was a wax seal, holding the envelope shut. It was decorated with the letter H, surrounded by four animals. Looking closely, Kaye could just make out their shapes to be a lion, serpent, eagle, and badger.


Transfixed, Kaye’s immediate reaction was to open the letter. After all, it was hers and just demanding to be read. Slipping her fingers under the envelope’s flap, Kaye was about to break the seal when a recognizable voice split the air.


“Kaye! Where are you, young lady?”Her mother’s voice rang through the air, causing Kaye to jump. The letter fell from her hands, half-way opened. “Let’s go, we’ll be late for that one school’s tour!”


Kaye groaned, biting her tongue sharply “ deliberately. I completely forgot about the frickin’ tour. Jeez, I need a better memory. Then again, she would’ve loved to spend the day ignoring the school’s tour. If she had to visit one more after this, she’d be sent to the asylum for her insanity.


“Kaye, we’ll be late!”


“Coming, mother,” she snapped, snatching another piece of toast and glancing once more at the strange letter. It was intriguing, alright, and utterly tempting… but her mother was about to drag her out the door, so she tore her eyes from it and slipped out the door.




Four hours later, Kaye stumbled through the door, dropping her bag and slinking off to her room. She flung herself onto her bed, burying her face in the covers of her sheets. She was so mortified at the moment! Remembering the events that had occurred throughout the day sent shudders down her spine. The rush of jeering faces and cruel laughter were brought to mind, accompanied by the headmistress’ yelling “ the one she had accidentally knocked over.

Sniffing quietly, Kaye attempted to keep the tears back. Is there any school that I’ll fit into? She thought sorrowfully, clutching her pillow. Perhaps mother will let me go without an education for awhile…? Monitoring her breathing, Kaye managed to calm herself down with some shaky breaths and sniffles.

Turning her head, the disastrous tour faded from mind as she remembered the letter and saw it resting on her nightstand “ her father must have moved it to her room earlier that day. She pulled it to her, quickly breaking the seal. Kaye involuntarily held her breath, thoughts racing as to what the envelope could hold.

Flipping back the flap, Kaye pulled out the contents. Inside was a folded parchment that read in neat, flowing words:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
Of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chief Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Rayne,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please note if you choose to enroll, there will be a fee that will cover all necessary books and equipment, as well as pocket money for your term. Find enclosed a ticket to platform 9 ¾ for your trip to school.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress


Kaye must have read the letter a thousand times before she fully grasped the subject. Magic? It existed? She had always dreamed of performing such a thing, to baffle her friends and do breath-taking feats… but those had been fairy-tales and fantasies, right? Was this some scam? It seemed real enough… Frowning, but feeling an emotion of uncertain happiness, Kaye sat up.

How interesting… did her parents know of this school? Were they magicians or wizards or whatnot, too? Biting her lip, Kaye couldn’t resist a smile now. Scam or not, she was a witch, a magical being! It was like some dream come true… it was beyond belief! And at that moment, Kaye Rayne knew this was her school, the school fit for her.
Chapter Endnotes: A big, big thank you to my wonderful beta, Shisuta, and to my co-writer FayFerret22. See you guys soon!