Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Unexpected Fate by LaraAnn

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The train ride to school was one of the best any of the four friends had taken yet. Ron, Harry and Ginny discussed the coming quidditch season while Hermione lay her head on Ron's shoulder and started in on one of her new school books. After an hour or so, Ginny nodded off with Harry's arm around her. It was raining out, a warm summer ran, the kind Ginny was always saying was peaceful. Harry just stared at her, astonished that it had taken him that long to notice how absolutely beautiful she was.

Ron had also grown quiet watching Hermione read. She was so focused, all the time. He smirked to himself, determined that at least once, sometime this year, he'd somehow manage to pull her out of her library phase and get her to have some real fun. He even considered asking her to try out for quidditch if she hadn't disliked flying so much. Hermione looked up and saw him staring at her. She smiled and snuggled into his shoulder more.

"Well, well, isn't this a pretty sight?" came the sneering voice of Draco Malfoy from the corridor. Before either of the boys, or Ginny for that matter, could say anything back, Hermione whipped out her wand and with a quick bit of spellwork, sealed the door and pulled shades over the windows, blocking Malfoy from their sight.

"Silencio!" she added, so none of the taunts Malfoy was preparing could be heard.

"That was bloody brilliant," Ginny said, still a bit dazed from being woken from her nap so suddenly.

"Thanks," Hermione said. "I know I didn't want to deal with that little prat, I was comfortable right where I was."

They all smiled and nodded in agreement and assumed their previous postions, only this time, Harry too nodded off, laying his cheek on top of Ginny's head.


***


When the train arrived at Hogwarts, Hermione lifted the charms she had placed and they all made their way to the carriages, hurrying to not get completely soaked. Ginny noticed Harry determinedly not looking at where she assumed the thestrals would be. As glad as she was she could not see them, she knew how much it hurt him to be able to. She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze and he smiled at her in return.

"I'm starving!" Ron said, rubbing his stomach. "I hope the sorting goes quickly."

"You say that every year, Ron," said Harry, amazed at his friend's one track mind.

"Hey, can't help it mate, that charm 'Mione put up
blocked the snack cart lady!" he quickly retorted, grinning.

The carriage ride was quite peaceful; no one spoke much. They were all thinking about Dumbledore's start of term speech and whether or not any of what happened in June would be discussed. Harry hoped it wouldn't be.

When they finally arrived, Ginny, Ron and Hermione left to be briefed on the prefect duties, leaving Harry to sit with Neville, Seamus and Dean. He wondered whether or not he should mention anything about he and Ginny to Dean, but he thought the better of it and didn't say anything, just stared at the bewitched ceiling, mirroring the rainclouds and occasional lightning.

As the the four prefects from Gryffindor took their seats, Ginny in between Harry and Colin, the first years filed in, looking absolutely terrified.

"Did I look that scared when I was sorted?" Ginny whispered to Harry.

"I honestly don't know, I was being beaten by a tree at this point of your first year," he said with a smirk, which she was quick to wipe off his face with a kiss. Across from him, Harry could hear Ron's stomach grumbling and couldn't help but suppress a laugh as Hermione stared at him, marveling how loud his stomach was. He also felt a bit of a thud as Hermione kicked Ron, at which he gave her the 'its not like I can help it' look.

After what seemed like forever to Ron, Gryffindor had received a quite smaller number of first years than what they were used to. Everyone looked expectantly at the Headmaster, waiting for him to stand and address the school in his customary start of term speech. As he did, Harry noticed him look right at him for a moment before beginning. Thunder clapped as he stood.

"Welcome, one and all, to another year at Hogwarts. This year may very well be quite different from years before. Due to other circumstances, there may be times when I, as well as a few other select teachers, will not be in the castle. Also, several new school rules will be put into effect as a matter of safety."

Everyone groaned at the idea of new rules. Dumbledore pressed on. "As many of you know, there was an incident last spring at the Ministry of Magic, in which several of your classmates were involved. I will not point them out, as I'm sure they do not want the added strain on what should be a busy academic year. However, the Minister of Magic has finally chosen to acknowledge the fact that Lord Voldemort has indeed returned."

There were gasps and shudders throughout the Great Hall as the Headmaster said the name.

"Because of this, we will not be allowing any students outside without supervision of a professor. Students for both Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures will wait in the entrance hall for either Professor Hagrid or Professor Sprout to escort them to class. In addition, all quidditch practices must be cleared and supervised by either Madam Hooch or the team's Head of House. Any students who are found to be out of bounds will serve a minimum one week's detention."

"Now, on a brighter note, I'd like to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I daresay you may remember him. Professor?"

With that, Remus Lupin walked into the Great Hall and stood alongside Dumbledore, to tumultuous applause. He was beaming, although still looking a bit wary. The full moon was only three nights away.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny all looked around at each other, mouths dropped open.

"Of all the times he's popped in this summer, never mentioned it once!" Ron said.

"I've gotten about ten letters from him, no mention there either," Harry added, quite shocked. He and Lupin had grown much closer since the incident in the spring, (Harry cared not to think about what actually happened, it still hurt a great deal.) leaning on each other to cope with the loss. He'd even popped into Privet Drive once when the Dursleys were on holiday.

"Now that the business is taken care of, I have two words left for you all," Dumbledore said, as the applause died down. "Tuck in!"

And with that, food appeared on all the plates in front of them. Ron's heart lept into his chest as he reached for the plate of sliced turkey in front of him. After he piled his plate, he leaned over and kissed Hermione before stuffing a huge bite of mashed potatoes.

"Weshmay tha a trayshin," he said, through a huge mouthful.

"Excuse me?" Hermione asked, still amazed at the amount of food her boyfriend could fit in his mouth. Ginny and Harry were looking at him like he was from another planet. He took a massive swallow and tried it again.

"I said, we should make that a tradition," he said. "My parents do it. Every night, before supper, they kiss. Mum always said it was so they would know they still loved each other. We should do it, too."

Harry leaned over and kissed Ginny. "Sounds like a good idea to me!" He said.

"Me too," said Ginny and Hermione together before tucking in to their own meals.

After everyone had eaten to the point of illness, the plates were cleared and Dumbledore dismissed them back to their dormitories. Harry felt a bit down, as he'd be making the walk alone. Both his friends and his girlfriend were prefects and they had to show the first years their way around. Then Ginny leaned over to him.

"The password is Orion's Belt, meet me at the fireplace," she said, then kissed him on the cheek and went off with Ron and Hermione.


********


Harry waited and watched as Ginny, Hermione and Ron instruct the first years on school rules and where the dormitories were. Afterwards, Ron and Hermione sat on the couch as Ginny came to where Harry was waiting, by the fireplace, just like she said.

"Come with me," she whispered. She took his hand and led him out of the common room.

After four flights of stairs and several corridors later, Harry thought it was an appropriate time to ask where they were going.

"I've always love the rain," she said, almost breathless with excitement. "Mum used to have to yell at me to come inside, I'd stand out in it for ages."

Harry smiled as he pictured a young Ginny standing outside in the rain with Molly shouting to get her inside. Yup, he could believe that alright. He was so lost in thought that he noticed that Ginny had stopped and was looking around for something.

"Here!" she said, and pressed a cloud on a landscape that hung about eye level on the wall before them. The painting swung open to reveal an outdoor terrace, overlooking the entire castle grounds.

"Come on," she said, pulling him onto the terrace. "Isn't this incredible!" she said, leaning her head back and putting her arms out, drenching herself in the rain she loved so much.

"Incredible," Harry whispered, although his eyes never left Ginny. She looked at him, knowing in that moment just how much he loved her. She walked slowly to him, putting her arms around his neck.

"I love you, you know," he said, looking deep into her beautiful brown eyes.

"And you know I love you," she said, staring back through his green eyes, feeling as though she could see into his soul. He leaned in close to her and kissed her, the gentlest kiss either of them could imagine. A kiss of pure love.

The thunder rolled again as they kissed again, this time longer, holding it. Nothing more, just holding each other with their lips touching.

From a tower on the other side of the castle, an old wizard smiled, seeing two people so in love. He knew at that moment that everything would turn out alright.

A/N- Fluff, I know, but it gets more dramatic. Anyone with additional ideas as to HOW to GET it more dramatic, email me! I have a few, but they're all kinda old, tired and cliche'd. Read and Review, I'll love ya for it!!