Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A letter lay unfolded next to Melody’s left arm as she scratched down words on a second piece of paper.

Dear Melody
I hope things are well there, because it seems like your letters only get more troubling. Are you really that miserable? I can imagine you are. This summer has been dreadful. It’s been terribly boring as they refuse to let me go anywhere, and Mrs. Weasley insists on following me around. Ron’s family is great, but I’m going insane locked up with them.
I was surprised they even let me take my Apparition test. Of course, they won’t let me go anywhere.
I wish your mother would let you come here. I still don’t see why she doesn’t approve of me, but I’ll find a way to make her like me. I really miss you, Mel.

Harry


Melody finished her own letter and then read it aloud to herself.


Dear Harry
I miss you too. I ask my mother everyday is I can come and see you, but she refuses. I’m sorry, Harry, but I don’t think she is ever going to let me visit.
Our new house is finally ready, so we can get out of my aunt’s, but moving isn’t helping our situation right now. Mother keeps coming into my room and sighing at the pictures of you, but nothing could make me take them down.
Oh Harry, how am I going to make it through an entire year without you around? I’m dying now, and it hasn’t been that long really. To think of an entire term…is crazy. I guess we’ll just have to make it work. I love you.

Melody



Melody crossed to the window and placed her replying letter on the leg of Sparx, her owl. Spreading her wings, Sparx was gone in seconds. Most of Melody’s summer days were spent waiting for a letter from Harry. Though he always replied immediately, they never came soon enough for Melody. In between letters, Melody simply sat in her room and read her spell books.

Her room was freedom from her mother. Ever since Melody’s father was found to be working for Voldemort, her mother had been miserable to live with. Melody was rarely allowed to go anywhere and when she was she was she was accompanied by Marcus. Eventually, Melody had given up leaving the house. Being locked up was better than being near Marcus and his ego.

***

Harry’s next letter arrived only two days later. Hedwig flew in the window looking very ruffled from the long journey from England to France. Melody hurried across the room and placed some food near Hedwig’s feet. Melody was elated with excitement as she unrolled the letter attached to Hedwig’s leg.


Dear Mel,
I’ve finally found the right opportunity to sneak out! Moody, Lupin, the Weasleys, Tonks and Snape are all ill. At night, they sleep very deeply, so I’m going to be there at midnight on Friday.
I’d write more, but Hermione and me are on soup duty. See you soon.

Harry

Melody nearly collapsed she was so happy. Harry was going to be there in less than a week. She hugged the letter to her chest and hurried out of her room and down the stairs.

Anna was sitting at the kitchen counter flipping through a spell book when Melody came zooming in.

“Anna! Guess what!” Melody said beaming.

Anna looked up. In the last year, her age had peaked. Worry and the events of the year had worn her away, but she always looked ten years younger when she saw Melody smile.

“Finally, a smile has escaped the gloomy exterior,” Anna said closing the book in front of her.

Anna was the only person that would drop everything when Melody needed her.

“Anna! The Order is sick!” Melody said not realizing the awkwardness of the statement.

Anna laughed, “That is a good thing?”

“If the Order is sick, they aren’t hovering over Harry,” Melody said trying to pull the answer from Anna.

Still not fully getting it, Anna brushed some gray hair from her face, “Mel, I’m getting to old for games. What is going on?”

Laughing, Melody said, “Harry is coming here!”

Melody did a little turn, but Anna’s smile faded.

“Now, Mel, honey, you know your mother doesn’t approve of him.”

“That is why he is coming at midnight when Mama is sleeping.”

Anna’s confidence in Melody rarely wavered, but at this moment, Melody saw that Anna didn’t totally agree with the plan.

“Are you sure it is safe for Harry to be out alone?” Anna asked timidly.

“Anna, he’s Disapparating. It isn’t like he is out wandering the streets.”

Anna found her smile again and replied, “I suppose you’re right.”

She slid off her stool and returned the spell book to the shelf. Melody approached her as she turned.

Anna placed her hand under Melody’s chin, “You just be careful.”

Anna kissed Melody’s forehead and then exited the room. Melody stood alone in the large kitchen clutching the letter. Once she was sure Anna was out of earshot, she let out a squeal and then bounded back up the stairs to her room.

Upon returning to her room, Melody found another owl fluttering about very much to Hedwig’s dislike.

“Settle down, Pig,” Melody said she chased Ron’s tiny owl about the room, “I can’t read it if you don’t stop long enough for me to get it!”

Pig finally settled and Melody removed the letter from the owl’s leg.


Dear Mel
Harry told me about his plan. Hermione wanted me to make you to talk him out of it, but I think it’s a brilliant idea. I was just writing to wish you good luck and fool Hermione. Hermione and I are sending something along with Harry for your birthday. We hope you enjoy it. Hogwarts won’t be the same without you!

Ron


Melody smiled to herself. A few months ago, she would have ripped up the letter because it said Hermione’s name, but now their subtle disagreement only made her laugh. She placed the letter in her drawer and placed Pig in Sparx’s cage.

In all the excitement, Melody had forgotten about Hedwig. Quickly, she scribbled down a reply to Harry. Melody stroked Hedwig tenderly.

“Hedwig, can you get this to Harry as fast as possible?”

The owl hooted and Melody stroked her one last time before opening the window to let her out. She watched as the owl flew off the Harry.