Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Fresh from her return from Hogwarts, Melody stood frozen in her living quarters. She never thought she would actually be right, because it was Harry. She never thought Harry would turn against her. Not her Harry….

Melody crumbled to the sofa in her sitting room. She felt the suffocation of anguish take over her breathing. Helpless on her own, her chest bounced with irregularity. Everything she has hyperbolized about Harry’s actions was lying before her as clear as day. All the suspicions, all the jealousy had been deserved. Harry had betrayed her, and now she was left with a decision. She knew the only answer already, but refused to accept it for another week.

She sat through her classes with a face of stone as she allowed everything to bounce off her. Nothing made it’s way into the mess that was tearing away her insides and taking its toll. Each day was a little harder as she was reminded of happier times by every giggling student and each couple she past. Her Patron duties remained unfinished as small first years were lost in the crowd and many an argument resulted in hospital visits. She walked the halls as a clone in the mass and nothing more.

Each night, when she returned to her suite, she skipped her schoolwork and hid in either the bath or her bed. The temptation to return to Harry resided in the sitting room in the communicative looking glass. Constantly, Melody heard Harry’s chants penetrate the silence, but she wouldn’t pick up the mirror. It wasn’t until the messages stopped that Melody found herself wrapped in Marcel’s arms.

Droplets escaped Melody’s eyes and fell upon her flowing mane. Marcel removed the damp hair from Melody’s cheek as she spilled the betrayal. She told him about the album and the lies until she couldn’t bear any more tears. The soothing heave of Marcel’s chest relaxed her as they sat in silence. Marcel’s hand graced Melody’s hair as she readjusted to look at him.

“Maybe now’s the time, Mel,” he said, tucking a golden strand behind her ear.

Melody was surprised it had taken so long for him to mention it, and she knew it was the truth. Marcel patiently awaited a response as Melody gathered his attributes in her mind.

“You’re right,” Melody replied simply.

She rose from the sofa in Marcel’s dorm and took a step toward the door. Marcel rose behind her, but Melody stopped him with her hand to his chest.

“I’ll tell you how it goes,” she whispered.


Melody stared at her reflection for ages as she quickly assessed her options. The mirror had now been silent for three days, so she only entertained the thought of putting the mirror down.

“Harry Potter.”

The image swirled for a while before she had a clear picture of Harry’s dorm. It seemed as thought the Hogwarts world had frozen since she was there. Everything lay where she had left it except for one thing. The photo album had been taken from the ground and placed on the trunk.

Melody’s chest heaved as she called out Harry’s name. She heard a door snap shut before Harry frantically appeared before her.

“Mel! I ha”‘’

“No,” Melody said softly, “I’m not here for apologies. I only want you to listen to me one last time. Is that too much to ask?”

Harry gazed at her for a moment, “Last time?”

“Harry,” Melody continued, “You know that every time I said I loved you, I meant it. Actually, that was the only time I meant it. Every thought was always on you and every concern was always for you. I never thought we could go wrong. I thought you loved me as much as I cared for you, but how am I supposed to know now?”

“I did, Mel. I stil”‘’

“Listen! How is it that every night this summer I cried that I would see you soon, and now, you are off looking for something on the side while I can’t be with you? Honestly, Harry, we were going to be together soon. You couldn’t even wait it out that long? Am I not worth it? Is it because I wasn’t there for you to…I don’t know, be with?”

“Now, Mel. Sarah and I never did anything like that,” Harry replied anxiously.

“Then why did you hide her from me?”

Harry said nothing as Melody gazed down upon him.

“When did you kiss her, Harry?”

Harry’s head shot up as if she had shouted his biggest secret only to fall again.

“I know it happened. I can tell you’ve been trying to hide something more than a friendship.”

“It was first week of term.”

Melody nodded, “That is what I thought, and how long could you have known her?”

Harry’s hesitation was a blow to Melody’s heart as she felt the sting of sadness sneak upon her.

“A week,” Harry whispered.

“How can I trust you?!” Melody finally snapped before succumbing to the tears.

Harry’s eyes returned to Melody in surprise.

“I’ve never let you down, Mel!”

“Until now,” Melody emotionally gasped.

“So you’re not going to give me another chance? You’re not going to let me mess up?!” Harry shot at her, “How many times do I have to prove that I love you?!”

Melody was struck by the comment sharply as she sensed his temper rising.

“Now I’m the bad guy?! Harry, you break my heart and then try to break up with me?!”

Harry’s face fell, “I wasn’t talking about breaking up.”

“Well, I am.”

Melody kept her face as solid as she could, but Harry’s eyes intently pleaded with her. At the sign of no retraction, Harry’s face changed from weakness to violence as his eyes narrowed on Melody.

“You’re giving up that easy?!” Harry shouted after a moment of locked eyes, “You know what, Mel, I’m over it. Go! Prance off with you French friends and forget about this! Just go!”

And with that, the image broke into a million pieces.