Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
She was a mess. She was a hypocrite. She was a liar. She was a wreck, but most of all she was lost. She was lost in her own feelings and her own mind. Melody created herself a world where she wouldn’t have to concentrate on people as she surrounded herself with Marcel and the others.

The school burst into activity in the coming days as Madame Maxime stomped around the academy making sure nothing went unattended. Everything except the necessities of schedules and dining hall arrangements, for these were left in the hands of the school’s Patrons, Melody and Marcus.

Excused from two days of classes leading up the to delegation arrivals on Halloween, Melody would have rather sat through hours of lecture with old Professor Binns at Hogwarts than sit beside Marcus for ten minutes. Of all the poor memories Melody harbored of her life, Marcus had to be the most regretful…

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

At the time Melody took to following Marcus about, it seemed that it was destined to happen as she was the most popular girl and he was the most popular boy. Really, it was all in image. Melody never really cared for him, but for the longest time, she faked out all her comrades with her incessant giggling and little pecks on the cheek here and there.

To all that surveyed them, they seems like the dream couple, but what their audience missed was the way Marcus never really looked Melody in they eyes. They never saw the way he looked right over her head to the girls passing them in the halls. They didn’t know all the times that she caught him chatting up another girl in an abandoned classroom. They just saw perfection.

Melody never understood why she stayed with Marcus so long. In the end, it wasn’t up to her to end the disastrous relationship out of hatred, for Marcus brought it upon himself as he went too far and blatantly kissed a girl in Melody’s presence. It may have been the perfect reason to end the mess, but still it burned as Melody’s hand struck his face. She made a big scene at the time and ended up making their loyal fans at the school turn away from their former king.

It was in that time that Melody began her reign over the school. She had them mesmerized by her strong attitude as she handed Marcus terrible remarks publicly. One might have seen her as a heroin to those trapped by Marcus’ charm and power over the school, but she was only a little girl searching for acceptance…just to be liked.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

Their relationship had turned into a tough exchange of insults in an instant and now, as they were making lists of the coming student’s classes, they were silent.

Melody had found herself in Marcus’ company more than she wished lately due to the fact that he had taken Marcel in after his transformation, making Marcel forever in his debt. Their recent encounters had led up to this cold silence, as it seemed neither felt the need to bother with the other.

Melody leafed through her finished list of the Hogwarts students and began placing them in seventh year classes accordingly. As she came upon Harry’s class list, she couldn’t help but pause and let her hand brush over the sheet. His rigid handwriting made it difficult as she carefully printed his name in her chart of classes. Melody’s full schedule saved no chance of being free of him with free periods, except his.

Marcus’ eyes found her gazing down at his paper joyfully, bursting with forming insults. Melody felt his gaze on her face and quickly shuffled the papers before burying Harry’s deeper in the pile.

Bracing herself for the coming cruelties, Melody turned to face Marcus.

“Yes?”

He opened his mouth to say something, but hesitated. For the longest moment of Melody’s life, he sat there looking into her eyes, which held all the burdens of the past weeks.

“Just wondering if you were entering the tournament,” he said, returning his gaze to the awaiting pile of papers.

“Thought about it,” Melody said as she turned to her own pile.

“Well, you know, Fleur got it last time, so it’s going to be a man this time.”

Melody wasn’t sure if the last remark was a joke, but she took it as sexist as all things seemed to be if they radiated from Marcus.

“Do you really think the Goblet knows if I have breasts or not?”

Marcus laughed at this in a way that was new to Melody.

“I suppose not. You’ll give me a run for my money. I know that.”

With that, Marcus rose from his seat and gathered the scheduling papers. He took a step for the door, but paused mid-step as if to turn and say something, but again he denied Melody an insight into his thoughts and resumed walking right out the dining hall doors.


To add insult to injury, Melody now had a new personality to deal with inside an already troubling “friend.” Marcus was the last person she thought she would be turning to, but in the days to come she found herself taking many walks with him along the river just sharing memories of their year apart. Something had changed in him very quickly, but Melody couldn’t see what.

The truth began to unravel as they walked past the Quidditch pitches the night before Halloween. The topic had begun with a funny story involving Harry.

“If you miss him so much, why are you with Marcel?” Marcus asked, freezing Melody in her stride.

Laughing, Melody tried to turn the tender subject into a joke, “Marcel has better hair.”

“Seriously,” Marcus said taking a step back toward Melody, as he had surpassed her.

“What makes you think I miss him?”

Marcus laughed, “We walk around here almost every night and every night you have another story about him. Why else would you insist on talking about him?”

“If I had a funny story about Marcel, I would tell you that too, but you are always there when those things happen.”

“But why can’t you think of anything when it comes to Marcel?”

“Marcel is still new. You’d have to give it time.”

“You told me a story about Harry from the first day you met him, and you have been with Marcel for a month.”

“Technicalities,” Melody said, resuming her quick pace.

“Come on, Melody,” Marcus said trailing after her, “Even we had some funny stories.”

“Do you want a funny story about Marcel?!” Melody shouted, “Fine! Well, isn’t it funny that I can never seem to stay angry with him even though he deserves it?! Oh! I have a good one. The other night, after he told you guys all those embarrassing things, I told him that he was running a thin line and we ended up making out for an hour! Marcus, I want to be with him, but I don’t want to be with him when he is around you and the others. I want the person I left Harry for…I want the vulnerable boy that came into my suite and fed me wonderful stories about devotion. I want…”

“Harry,” Marcus finished.

This was obviously the wrong thing to say as Melody Disapparated leaving Marcus alone in the chilling night.