Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The next day moved far too quickly as Melody dreaded that evening’s arrivals. By now, it was apparent that the rest of her old friends from Hogwarts would know that Harry and Melody were over, and Melody wasn’t sure how they would receive her after the news. Did they think it was her fault? Did they side with Harry? Who was to know what would meet her from across the river?

It was already three o’clock when Melody faced her old pal, Brigitte, in the foyer.

“Melody!” Brigitte squealed, finally catching Melody between tasks, “I was just thinking. Would ‘arry like a teal dress or a red one?”

“Brigitte, you know that we are all to wear our formal uniforms,” Melody said as she tried to find an escape route.

“Those ragged things?” Brigitte smirked.

They were hardly ragged; for these uniforms were elegant party dresses more than uniforms. Satan created a drape across the shoulder and neck to meet loose sleeves tied at the crest of the shoulder, the elbow and around the wrist. At the waist the ends of the shirtfront formed into silk strings to be wrapped around the waist and tied again, creating a deep V on the back. A silk, pencil-line skirt graced the hips and ended with a beautiful embroidered crest just below the knee.

“What do you want, Brigitte?” Melody asked out of annoyance.

“We’ll see tonight, won’t we?”

Brigitte turned and left Melody with a train crash in her head. How long would it take before Brigitte told Harry about Marcel? Would she get the chance to explain herself? What would he think of her after the fuss she made over Sarah?

But Melody didn’t have time to worry about that at the moment, for she could hear Madame Maxime thundering in her direction. She quickly darted out the front door where she found Marcel and Marcus trying to magic a welcome banner over the two story doors.

Melody laughed as they argued over it being level until she got annoyed and simply waved her wand to do it herself.

“I have to do everything myself?” Melody laughed as Marcel awkwardly took her waist.

He leaned in so his cheek pressed against her temple, “Want to walk?”

Melody pulled her head away before looking at Marcus who was conveniently looking the other way. Pausing slightly too long, she nodded and Marcel took her hand.

Their lap around the campus was nothing but silence with a few quiet remarks until they were outside the Bravour dormitory.

“Melody, I know Harry is coming tonight…and I just want you to know that I am ready to defend us against him!” Marcel finally said puffing out his chest.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Melody began, “He doesn’t even know.”

Marcel’s half smile faded, “You didn’t tell him?”

“Of course not! I couldn’t after I was so angry about Sarah.”

“So what does this mean?” Marcel said, growing angry, “Are we going to have to hide it?”

Melody was afraid to answer as she saw a hint of rage in Marcel’s eyes.

“Only when there is a chance he will be around.”

Marcel snorted, “And when won’t that be?”

“If you wanted to be with me so badly, you could deal with this! I mean, back at Hogwarts…”

“What this time, Mel? Did you and Harry have to hide your picture perfect love from the world? If so, I feel absolutely terrible.”

He swung around Melody and disappeared through the dorm door, but Melody followed.

“Don’t walk away from me, Marcel!”

Marcel continued up the steps, “Why not? It’s exactly what will happen every time Harry shows up. I’m just practicing.”

“Marcel!” Melody shouted, freezing Marcel in his stride.

She was about to go off on him, but she noticed the crowd gathering at the base of the stairs, so she clasped onto his arm and they disappeared only to reoccur in her suite sitting room.

“This attitude is the LAST thing I need right now,” Melody said backing Marcel into a wall just like she had Harry, “Tonight, my ex-boyfriend is coming here with his new girly friend and I am going to have to pretend to be courteous. Champion selections are tomorrow and I have a group of people to guide around that may just hate me. Please don’t make me worry about us too.”

Marcel was silent for a moment, but in his usual manner he turned it into a chance to kiss Melody before leaving her to change into her formal uniform. Melody spent the next half hour moving her finger in a circular motion to curl her hair before pinning it to the side of her head to create a waterfall of ringlets tracing her neck.

She sifted through her jewelry collection in search of her diamond barrette. When she pulled it from the tangle of chains, a particularly thin chain surfaced with it - a small locket with a dainty music note on the face. For a second she considered tying it around her neck, but resisted and left her neck bare.

She slipped her feet into her favorite heels and began her descend down the stairs. As she went she announced the time to those still dressing. Many of the students had long since finished out of excitement and had continued out to the dining hall where they would await their guests.

Marcus was waiting for Melody on the top step outside the main building. She took her place beside him and they waited for any sign of the delegations. Marcus watched the river, as Durmstrang would be arriving in their typical manner of ship, but Melody had no idea where to look for the Hogwarts arrivals.

The silence was suddenly broken as both groups arrived from two directions. The Durmstrang did in fact come from the river, but the Hogwarts Express materialized in the valleys across the river.

As both vehicles came to a stop and unloaded, Melody and Marcus began their charade. She looped her arm in his as a proper lady would and they grinned plastically to the curious travelers. As soon as all eyes were on them, Melody and Marcus gracefully descended the stairs in step with each other like royalty.

Something must have struck the delegations, because silence fell over them instantly. Be it the glimmer from Melody’s barrette or Marcus’ charming smile that had them, it kept their attention until they crossed the bridge and split from each other with a slight bow and proceeded to their own assignments.

Melody avoided the eyes of her former classmates and focused her attention immediately on Dumbledore, who stood in the middle of his small band of entrants.

“Headmaster, it is so good to see you. I hope the trip was comfortable,” she said.

“Only took a moment,” Dumbledore said, taking Melody’s offered hand, “Don’t you look stunning in your natural habitat. It seems you have left some of your formers a little speechless.”

Melody politely laughed at his remarks, and took that dangerous step to begin the Beauxbaton introduction. These eyes were drilling into her, as she felt exposed before them.

“Bonjour,” she said halfheartedly, “As most of you know, I’m Melody Chancelle. I am Patron here at Beauxbaton, what you might recognize as Head Girl. As you will be participating in our courses, we have provided schedules that you will receive tomorrow, but now, I am sure you are all hungry, so let’s head into the dining hall. After dinner, remain seated, as there will be a tour of the grounds. Which reminds me, you are welcome to sit where you like from tomorrow on, but tonight we have set up a special table for your delegation.”

She rattled it all off as she had rehearsed showing no particular emotion or pleasure in seeing these people. They were her past, a past she wanted to rid herself of at the moment.