Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Melody’s hands shook as she paced her bedroom. In a few moments, Harry would be there. Though months had passed, his face was still vivid in her mind, and she anticipated seeing it again in person.

She waited on pins and needles for the familiar pop of Apparation. Repeatedly, she looked herself over in the mirror. Of course, nothing was wrong, but nerves made her feel less than perfect.

11:58 p.m.

Two minutes stood between her and Harry’s reunion. She quickly moved the few remaining boxes into her closet. When she closed the door, her locket fell to the ground and she scrambled to replace it about her neck. She rarely removed the piece of jewelry that Harry had given her. Without it, she felt naked.

11:59 p.m.

One lonely minute remained in her time away from Harry. She shuffled across the room and looked herself over one last time. Her hairbrush hit the vanity just as the distinct “pop” was heard in the entry.

Melody fleeted out of her room and down the stairs. Harry turned and opened his arms to her. Twirling her playfully, he beamed down at her.

“Oh, Harry! It’s so good to see you!” Melody said before affectionately kissing Harry.

“It’s great to see your face again, Mel,” Harry said before hushing his voice, “You don’t think we’ll wake your mum, do you?”

“Oh, I almost forgot. Wait here,” Melody said as she trotted up the stairs to perform the freezing charm on her mother’s suite.

Melody descended the stairs as Harry asked, “What did you do?”

“Freezing Charm,” Melody answered remembering the only other time she had used the charm, “How long can you stay?”

Harry frowned.

“Not long. Moody was feeling a little better today. Hermione can only cover for me so long. Which reminds me, I’m supposed to give you this from…”

“…Ron and Hermione,” Melody finished, “Ron sent a letter telling me you were going to bring me something from them.”

Harry handed Melody a box wrapped in blue paper. She slowly uncovered the gift, which turned out to be a two-way mirror.

“Hermione said you already had one, but that was with Tonks.”

Melody nodded, “Tell them ‘thank you’ for me.”
“Actually, I brought you a gift as well,” Harry said timidly.

Melody took her eyes off the mirror to look into Harry’s, “You didn’t have to get me anything. I’m just glad you’re here.”

“Well, I had to give you something after what you got me.”
Melody had given Harry a full set of Auror encyclopedias and a book of Quiddich teams that she had gotten autographed by all of Harry’s favorite teams.

Harry pulled a bag from his pocket and handed it to Melody. Opening it slowly, she found a bottle that looked like it was filled with silver.

“I got that from Dumbledore for you. If you drink some, you can Disapparate onto Hogwarts grounds,” Harry said and continued when he found Melody speechless, “He also sent along this note saying that you are welcome at the school at all times.”

“I know it isn’t much, but I think it will be useful. I mean, then you could come and see me,” Harry assumed.

After Melody had taken it all in, she flew her arms around Harry’s neck and kissed him passionately.

“It’s perfect, Harry!”

There was a noise upstairs, so Melody led Harry into the living room. They sat on the couch and Melody laid her head gently on Harry’s chest. He stroked her hair as she hummed to herself.

After a long pause, Harry asked, “Why doesn’t your mom like me?”

The question threw Melody off guard, but she knew it was coming.

“She says I am endangering myself by being around you.”

“Well, she does have a point,” Harry said half-joking.

“But she’s also the one that wants me to get back together with Marcus,” Melody said without thinking.

When it came to other guys, Harry was very protective of Melody. He had nearly killed Seamus for cracking a joke last year.

“Well, you aren’t going to are you?” Harry asked tensing up.

“Going to what?”

“Dump me for Marcus.”

“Are you insane? Yes, Harry I am going to leave the guy I love for some egotistical French boy,” Melody said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Harry realizing his overreaction laughed, but stopped the second a figure walked into the living room. He rose quickly causing Melody to stumble a little, but when she gathered herself, she pulled Harry back down.

“Hi, Anna,” Melody said between laughs.

“Melody, Mr. Potter,” Anna addressed them.

Again standing, but this time out of courtesy, Harry said, “Call me Harry.”

Anna nodded to him but took a step towards Melody.

“Mel, honey, I came down to tell you that your freezing charm is wearing off.”

“Oh, I’ll go redo it,” Melody said standing.

“Actually, Mel, I better get going. I’m sure Moody has noticed I’m gone by now,” Harry said turning Melody so she faced him.

Anna excused herself and Melody looked down at the ground.

“I’ve been dreading this part,” she said softly.

“Yeah, me too,” Harry agreed.

They stood for many minutes avoiding saying good-bye. Melody finally leaned up and kissed Harry deeply. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held tight. When Melody took her lips from his, she placed her face in his shoulder and cried.

“Don’t cry, Mel. I’ll see you once I get to school. Trust me, you’ll see so much of me you’ll get sick of my face.”

Melody pressed her cheek against his and he kissed her neck. She pulled her head back and then kissed him again on the lips. Resting her forehead on his, Harry tried his best to soothe her.

“Come on, Mel. I’ll see you soon.”

Melody pulled him close again and whispered “I love you,” in his ear.

She took a step back and with a little pop, he was gone. Melody felt herself fall on the couch, where she remained until morning.