Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Later that week, Melody was summoned to the traditional weighing of the wands. She systematically handed over her wand and waited for any questioning before she escaped the room. As she jogged down the hallway as to make it to the library, she heard a pestering voice calling her from behind.

“Where are you off in such a hurry? Not to see that low life of a boyfriend, I hope,” Harry spat from a ways down the hallway.

Melody broke her stride for a second to reverse it in his direction as she replied, “You don’t have the right to ridicule my choices. We both made the same one!”

“You mean the same one that you laid into me for?”

Melody went silent as he broke her apart with his eyes.

“I was…I don’t know…I was...”

“A hypocrite,” Harry finished as he turned down a side hallways and disappeared.

Melody stood alone in the hallway for a long time before she resumed her walk to the library. She entered the silent room in a haze, but was stirred by Marcel grabbing her by the arm and sweeping her behind a bookshelf.

At first Melody expected something extremely inappropriate for a library, but was pleasantly surprised to see him, instead, pacing, nervous with excitement.

“Melody, I have wonderful news!” he said, shaking with anticipation.

“Well?!”

“Marcus and I were in Mr. Charnette’s office, and as we were attempting to sneak out, we overheard Headmistress Maxime talking with some man about the first task,” he said as he bounced from foot to foot.

Melody paused for a moment as she contemplated allowing him to tell her. It would certainly be cheating, but when hadn’t cheating been involved with the Tri-Wizard.

Before she could win the moral battle with herself, Marcel ruined it by telling her what he had heard.

“It’s like an obvious scavenger hunt thing. The man said something about ten identical boxes in a circle, one holding the clue and the others having different beasts to overcome.”

He stood there for a moment looking very pleased with himself until he noticed the lack of excitement in his companion’s face.

“First of all,” Melody began, “I wish you hadn’t told me that, because now I feel as if I am cheating. However, it can’t be correct, because they wouldn’t make the task that easy.”

“Easy?” Marcel asked timdly.

“It’s a simple Summoning Charm,” Melody said, beginning to walk away.

“No,” Marcel retaliated, “Summoning Charms never work on the clues. The task must be set up so that the only way to get the clue is trial and error.”

Melody nodded before taking a step away. She was near the end of the bookshelf when she returned to Marcel’s side. He looked at her a little deflated, but she placed her hand on the back of his neck and pulled him in for a tender kiss.

“Thank you,” she said before lacing her hand in his.


After Melody and Marcel had finished working on their homework, they parted and Melody returned to her suite. As she entered her room, she was suddenly bombarded by the feathers of Sparx. The owl was fluttering around her head furiously. Melody had to enchant the owl to stay still before she could get the letter off.

When she had finally removed it, she tossed it on her desk before she summoned a small packet of owl food and laid it in a dish for Sparx. As Sparx nibbled at the food, Melody retrieved the letter from the desk and opened it.

The instant she read the first sentence, her face went still.


My Dear Melody

It will be hard to believe, but it is your father. I’ve been a world away from you, so it must be shocking to hear from me. What I am writing to tell you is very important, so important that I can’t find the words to tell your mother. I know my incarceration has changed her, but Melody that is why you must listen to me. I am innocent. I would never have put my only daughter in danger like that. Please believe me when I tell you I was under Voldemort’s Imperius Curse.
Melody, you’re my only hope to get out of this place. I don’t know how much longer I can hold on to my sanity, Dear. I’m begging you to find a way to free me and prove me innocent. In here they take every word I say as the mumblings of a mad man. I am helpless without you.
I hope you aren’t embarrassed by me. I’m sure that article didn’t help, but Melody, I do love you. I know that you can find it in your heart to believe me, and now, I must plead with you to do so. Please take pity on your father, for at the moment, I would do anything to be with you and your mother again. Please, Melody, save me.

With Every Ounce of My Love,
Your Father…



Melody slowly fell apart as she re-read the letter. These were the words of her father, not the man that had used his own daughter to get to Harry. Without a doubt, her father was innocent, and Melody nearly sprang to her feet that moment to begin that task of setting him free.


The next day at breakfast, Melody immediately sought out Dumbledore. He was sitting at the head table chatting with his companions when Melody frantically pounced before him and leaned over the table to grab his attention.

“Headmaster, we need to talk as soon as possible. When can I see you in private?” she hissed.

Dumbledore, slightly taken aback, replied, “What is it that makes you so irritable, Ms. Chancelle?”

“I’ll tell you in private. When can you meet with me?”

Dumbledore looked into her eyes for a long time before answering, “Come to the train whenever you have a break from classes today. I intend to be in my temporary office all day.”

Melody thanked him and disappeared into the foyer.