Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Melody avoided the Harry situation and everything else by pouring her energy into solving the clue for the next, approaching task. Caught up in her previous victory and the ball, she hadn’t even listened to the clue yet.

As she sat in a private study room adjacent the library, she let her fingers slide across the clue’s golden surface. The first trick would be opening it. She tried the basic opening and unlocking spells, but was unsuccessful. Her anger flared as she continued casting spells to open the thing. She was far too emotional for this at the moment which only made it worse when she noticed the small button on the top point of the star. Thoroughly embarrassed, she looked around to reassure herself no one had joined her. For once, she was grateful to be alone.

She pressed lightly on the button as to open it slowly to take in the full extent of the clue, but the instant the button was pressed the room erupted in flashing lights and cascading glitter. Voices that reminded Melody of trickling water filled the room. Over and over, they repeated the same words as Melody furiously tried to get it all down on paper.

Beyond the daylight
Into the stars
We rest awaiting
These friends of ours
That will come to try
And break the bars
Of ground enchainment
To steal rewards

But not so easy
It will be
For no one passes
Without a fee
Come unprepared
And you will see
The gifts we offer
Are never free

The instant she crossed the final ‘f’, she was startled by the click of the door handle. Expecting the rigid librarian, she waved her wand and quickly cleaned the mess left behind by the clue. She turned her back to the door as to return to deciphering the clue, but the instant the mystery voice rang she felt the familiar chills climb up her back.

“I’ve been working on it too,” Harry said mildly behind her.

Melody continued to gaze at her hand for a moment before she meekly slid in her chair to face him. He kept his distance standing in the threshold for a moment longer before he stepped a little closer to Melody.

The room felt suddenly smaller as Melody rose beside the desk.

“Have you gotten anywhere?” she asked stepping to the back of the chair.

“I think I have an idea,” Harry replied taking another small step closer, “That’s all.”

The laws of attraction slowly drew the two closer as they made small talk until they were inches apart. For the first time in awhile, their eyes were locked in a passionate gaze.

Melody watched as Harry’s hand ventured to the waves of her hair, and he affectionately stroked it. For a second her eyes closed, and she was lost in memories of only months ago.

Harry’s hand continued to cascade down her golden locks for another moment before he placed it gently on her cheek. Melody anticipated the next step with a hidden excitement but was disheartened as she felt the warmth of Harry’s hand slide down her cheek and graze her neck.

His hand fell back to his side.

“No,” he said to himself.

Shaken from her peaceful state, Melody replied, “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Mel, before we go back into that, we need to be sure we both want the same things.”

“Well, what do you want, Harry?” Melody asked sharply.

“I want you to be the girl I fell for, not this thing you’ve become.”

“This thing is the result of BOTH of our mistakes. I won’t be the girl you want me to be until we settle those.”

Harry looked down into her eyes for another moment.

“And now isn’t the time for that,” he said mildly.

Melody felt her chest sink as he turned and left. She collapsed into the chair behind her where she sat for a moment in complete shock. She would have been there for a great deal of time had she not been joined by a messenger directing her to Dumbledore’s office.


The office was silent as Melody anxiously crossed to Dumbledore sitting at his desk. His expression was unreadable as she impatiently waited for him to acknowledge her.

“I’ve been to Azkaban,” he said looking up from his writing at last.

“And...” Melody said, losing her breath.

At that moment Melody heard the door open behind her. Upon spinning to see who it was, Melody nearly fainted. The frame of the door also framed one man that had also been missing in her life.

“Daddy,” she said like a small child again.

Behind her, Dumbledore rose from his desk.

“A little Veritaserum proved him innocent on the spot. It took more time to convince the administration to let me use it,” the headmaster said.

Father and daughter heard nothing as they were caught in a frozen stare. Mr. Chancelle broke the phase with a slow approach towards Melody. The instant she regained motion in her legs, Melody bounded forward into her father’s outstretched arms.

“I knew you were innocent. I knew it,” Melody said as her father lifted her off the ground.

“I’m glad you believed me,” he replied placing her sweetly on the soft carpet, “I know it must have been hard to trust a man that couldn’t even make time for you in the past.”

“You’re the only man I can trust, Dad,” Melody said, taking in the presence of her father, “Does mom know?”

“No,” Dumbledore chimed in, “But I think the both of you should be there to tell her. I have excused you from your lessons tomorrow, Melody. You are free to join your father.”

Melody thanked the headmaster and the reunited family vanished with a little spin.


The sun was just setting as Melody and her father appeared outside the hated house Melody had tried so desperately to escape. Now, she leaped up the steps to pound on the door.

Anna answered in her usual unattached manner before realizing it was Melody on the mat. For a second she stood motionless unsure of their standing, but Melody wrapped her arms enthusiastically around the worn housekeeper.

“Anna! Dad is innocent! They’ve set him free,” Melody sang into her ear.

Anna was speechless for a moment before she saw Mr. Chancelle appear from behind a tree in the yard.

“Monsieur!” she shouted before turning towards the house, “Madam! Come quickly!”

When Melody’s mother appeared in the doorway, Melody noticed the abandoned sparkle reappear in Mrs. Chancelle’s eyes as they fell upon her husband.

“Richard!” she said behind the tears welling in her eyes.

The two embraced as their daughter watched in admiration. Never in her lifetime had she seen her parents this happy.

Melody’s mind was miles away from Harry as she watched her family fall back together.