Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The third task was already fast approaching, and Melody turned her isolation into time to prepare. Celeste was her constant companion to the point that she had moved into the spare bedroom in the suite. It felt nice to have her best friend back. Nothing in the world could have replaced Celeste for Melody, no matter whom or what it was. Celeste was the only one that truly understood her, beginning to end.

Anxiety over the task began to overtake Melody’s anxiety over Harry just because this time she had no idea what to expect. She was relieved, however, when a letter arrived informing her of a meeting for all the champions to find out a small clue about the third task. They were to meet the tournament officials at the practice Quiddich pitch at ten o’clock. Melody thought the time was a little strange, but assumed it to be part of the task.

Therefore, at nine fifty-nine, she Disapparated to the location. Once she arrived, she was surprised to see that no one else was around. For a second she felt uneasy thinking of the last time she had been summoned to a meeting in a Quiddich pitch and nervously took her wand out.

She was about to leave when the pitch burst into a thousand colorful lights and in the center of the field, Harry was hovering on the Asteroid she had given him. Melody was so taken aback that Harry had the chance to approach her on the broom before she attempted to leave.

“Stay, Mel,” he said slipping off the broom.

He didn’t have to say anything, for Melody was already fighting back the tears she had been holding in for two months. When she turned to face Harry again, he was standing only feet away.

“What are you doing?” Melody asked letting a tear escape.

“Mel, I couldn’t have been more wrong,” he said, taking her hand and wrapping it in his own, “I should have never said we would be better off separate, because I would give anything to hold on to the hope that there is a chance you’ll take me back. Melody, you make me a completely different person. You are the only one that can break my temper and the only one that can make me admit I’m wrong. You balance me out, and that is exactly what I need right now.”

For a long time they just stood there as Harry clung to her hand. The lights continued to glitter around them, but Melody couldn’t form a single word.

“You don’t have to take me back, but I wanted you to know what I have been trying to tell you for the last month,” Harry said before he let her hand fall back to her side.

Melody was still silent, for she couldn’t think of the right thing to say. She wanted more than anything to end his hurting and just wrap her arms around him, but she was frozen in place.

After a long time, she finally whispered, “I’m sorry.”

Harry looked up at her just as she broke and began to cry.

“I’m so sorry, Harry. I messed up. I’ve made these last months a complete mess. I let myself believe that Marcel could take your place, but no one can do that, Harry. I was stupid,” she cried in a rapid succession.

Harry instantly wrapped his arms around her and let her cry into his chest. She clung to him desperately for a moment as she tried to gain her composure.

“We were both stupid,” Harry said soothingly, “We both messed up. It doesn’t matter. Let’s just forget it. We’re here now.”

He kissed her forehead and pulled a few stray strands of hair from her damp face. He held her close as her breathing slowed and she calmed down.

“I love you,” Harry said softly.

Placing her hands on either side of his neck, Melody pulled Harry close and kissed him more passionately that she ever had. He lifted her feet from the ground and held her as if she were as light as a feather. After a small spin, he set her again on the ground, keeping her body flat against his.

She pulled away for a moment, but was instantly drawn back into his kiss. Pressing her body tightly against his, Melody made a decision to break her own rules.

They were older now, and the fact that Melody’s hands were unbuttoning the front of Harry’s shirt brought them back to Melody’s suite. Thankfully, Celeste had gone to the library to get some homework done, for by the time Melody and Harry arrived in the sitting room, they were both scantily clad. Harry followed Melody into her bedroom but caught her just beyond the door frame and stole another kiss before shutting the door and secluding them from all their troubles.




When Melody woke the next morning she was comforted by Harry’s arm around her waist. He was still asleep, but Melody didn’t move, not only because she didn’t want to wake him, but also because everything felt right when she was in Harry’s arms.

Not long after, Harry awoke and kissed the side of Melody’s neck. She flipped over in the bed to face him. Twenty four hours ago she would never have thought she would be lying there now, but she was, and Harry was looking endearingly down upon her.

“Good morning,” he said as he turned on his back and pulled her close.

Resting her head on his chest, Melody closed her eyes for a moment as Harry stroked her hair. She was completely content at last, and except for the third task taking place the next day, she had not a single concern in the world. Her biggest competitor was now lying next to her, but she liked the idea of keeping her friends close and her enemies closer.