Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The days dragged on longer with every passing one. Melody rarely left her room, and when she did she refused to even look at her mother or Anna. Just as she had said to Hermione, this week was Hell.

A bitter side prevailed in Melody, and she frequently caught herself talking down upon her dearest friends. This summer had taken its toll on Melody as she slowly taught herself to despise those that got in her way.

Each day of Hell week went the same. Melody woke, showered and then picked up her breakfast in the kitchen only to take it upstairs. When she finished eating, she would take out her spellbooks and read until evening when she would again descend the stairs to the kitchen and pick up her meal. Immediately after supper, she would return to her room to do her usual workout, shower and then sleep.

On her final day home, Friday, instead of her workout, she took her keys from the hook and went on a drive. She spent the time clearing her mind as she passed her old hangouts. The radio was playing softly and Melody soon picked up on the tune. Mildly, she sang along. With each system in the music, she gradually found herself lost in the melody and was soon belting the pitches.

After two hours of this, she finally pulled into the garage and ignored her mother’s words as she bounded up the stairs. From outside her bedroom door, Melody’s mother nagged on about something as Melody simply went to sleep. She had almost been happy.



The day of her departure for Beauxbaton finally arrived and a smile finally played across Melody’s face as she stepped out the front door.

Once in her car, Melody made her way for Debuaton Park. The nearer she was to the park, the slower she went until eventually she reached the beautiful, green park. Her baggage was sent ahead days ago, so Melody walked casually through the park gaining no unneeded attention. After about ten minutes, she came upon the large oak in the farthest corner of the park. Other students were casually relaxing on the grass and waiting the time to depart.

The second Melody removed her sunglasses, she was mobbed by nearly all the students there. One at a time they captured her in a hug and interrogated her. Finally, through the crowd came Celeste. As a true friend should, Celeste saved Melody from the classmate.

Once away from the fan club, Melody locked Celeste in a great hug and they spent a few minutes reacquainting themselves. For a moment, Melody was back in her fifth year waiting for the time to leave to come with her dearest friend, Celeste. Not much had changed from that day. Her classmates loved her the same if not more, but too much had changed. A year ago, Melody would have killed to be back with her admiring peers, and now Melody found herself wishing the same thing with a different group of people.

Finally, the time neared and the students gathered around a beautiful collie. Around it’s neck, it possessed a lovely collar with a tag holding the Beauxbaton emblem. The students assigned to this portkey placed their hand on the collar and after a minute or so a familiar pull from behind the naval consumed them all.


The main building now towered over the group of seventh years. Melody looked up as all her memories of this building replayed in her mind. Excitedly, Celeste seized her by the arms and pulled her through the huge double doors. Once in the foyer, Celeste again began to pull at Melody’s arm, but someone much stronger had the same idea.

Towering over Melody was Madam Maxime. A huge smile danced on her face as Melody tried to fake enthusiasm to see her familiar headmistress.

“Finally! Our little songbird ‘as returned!” Madam Maxime sang as she pulled Melody to the side.

“Bonjour, Madam Maxime,” Melody replied half-heartedly.

“I assume you received my letter, Darling,” Madam Maxime said pulling a handsome, brown haired seventh year from the crowd, “We aren’t going to start this again, are we, Monsieur Marcel?”

Laughing Marcel replied, “No, Ma’am.”

Marcel…the name seemed familiar to Melody.

Of course! It was none other than Marcel Eubons! Melody hadn’t recognized him without the usual spellbook, glasses and know-it-all tone. She was only gone a year and the class geek had become completely chic.

“I zink ‘e zhould ‘ave just stuck to ‘is studies!” Madame Maxime said watching him run into the dining hall, “I assume you excelled wiz your studies even at ‘ogwarts. Of course, you did. Zat is of course why I chose you as Patron. Now, you need to get out to meet zee other students. Marcus is already waiting for you.”

Melody nodded and turned away to hide her disgust. She could almost feel his ego meeting her at the door as he bossed sixth years around. A stream of these students passed her and many of them called out greetings. Diverting her eyes from Marcus, Melody rested at the bottom of the railing.

It wasn’t long before he took on his familiar strut and crossed the yard to where she stood.

“Couldn’t stay away from me long, could you?” he said slyly.

Melody simply replied by turning away, but he still persisted.

“I heard that you had a thing for the famous Harry Potter, but it looks like that didn’t work too well,” he continued.

Turning sharply on her heel, Melody snapped, “If by a ‘thing’ you mean that I love him, your right.”

Hesitating slightly, Marcus replied, “Oh, you love him, do you? Then what are you doing here?”

“Trust me it wasn’t my choice.”

Easing his way closer the Melody, Marcus said, “Maybe it’s fate then.”

“I must have done something terrible in a past life if that’s the case,” Melody snapped back.

Marcus opened his mouth to answer but the fifth years arrived. Melody made her escape and slowly led them up the stairs. She continued to remain occupied as the other classes arrived. Jumping at the chance to introduce the first years to the school, Melody gave them a little speech about Beauxbaton, and led them into the dining hall.

Just as they passed the threshold, Melody glanced up and found two glittering eyes gazing at her through half moon spectacles.