Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Take care of these first years, Marcus,” Melody said waving a hand at him.

She trotted down the center aisle towards the Headmistress’ table as students rushed around the hall sitting down at the numerous round tables. As she grew closer and closer to Dumbledore, she quickened her pace.

She was nearly at a run when she finally reached him.

“Pardon me, Madam Maxime, but may I speak with Mr. Dumbledore, please?” She asked when Madam Maxime looked away from her fellow headmaster.

“Melody, I’m sure Monsieur Dumbledore will be pleased to speak wiz you later,” Madam Maxime replied.

“No, Olympe,” Dumbledore said winking at Melody, “ I believe I would be pleased to speak with her now.”

Slightly offended, Madame Maxime turned to the person sitting to her left. Melody quickly stepped onto the platform that raised the table and leaned in.

“Is there something wrong, Headmaster?” she whispered.

“Everything is fine, Melody.”

“Then, pardon me, but what are you doing here?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

He straightened himself out and Melody hesitantly stepped down from the platform. She paused for a moment, but then took her seat at the Patron table just steps away from where Dumbledore sat. Marcus winked at her from across the table as she waved to Celeste who took a seat next to Melody.

“’ow do you know zat man?” Celeste asked.

“That is Dumbledore, the Headmaster at Hogwarts,” Melody answered nonchalantly.

“Zat is zee great Dumbledore? What is ‘e doing ‘ere?” Celeste asked setting her menu down.

Melody glanced around the table and then said, “He wouldn’t tell me.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Madam Maxime stood. The whole school was soon on its feet, but returned to its place when Madam Maxime gestured.

“Bonjour, etudiants! I’m very pleased to see all of you again. Now, to get zee rules out of zee way, would you come up ‘ere, Melody?”

After a heavy sigh, Melody stood and stepped onto the platform. Numerous seventh years clapped at the return of their social leader, but the expression on her face remained the same.

“Silence. Silence. Les règles sont simples ici. Montrer respect et ne marcher jamais à tout instant de ligne. Les étudiants qui se cassent des règles seront réprimandé avec les devoirs de sols avec M. Charnette,” Melody said in perfect French before repeating in English, “The rules are simple here. Show respect at all times and never step out of line. Students that break rules will be reprimanded with grounds duties from Mr. Charnette.”

Melody stepped down and again took her seat. Once Madam Maxime had resumed talking, Celeste leaned over.

“It looks like everyone is ‘appy to see you back,” she whispered.

“Yeah, everyone but me,” Melody replied sharply.

Madam Maxime continued to drone on about her summer until finally she sat and Dumbledore rose. He looked perplexed from Madam Maxime to Melody.

“Good afternoon, students. I’m sorry my French isn’t as fluent as that of Mrs. Chancelle, so please bear with my English. Now, I come to you with good news! Three years ago, a very special event was held at Hogwarts, but went terribly wrong. The Ministry has decided it would be best to try again,” he said, “I am of course speaking of the Tri-Wizard Tournament.”

The usually well-mannered natures of the students evaporated with the last words.

Madame Maxime quickly rose hushing the room.

Dumbledore continued on, “Now, the same rules will apply. Only those who are 17 may enter their name in the Goblet and one person from each of the three schools, Hogwarts, Durmstang and Beauxbaton, will be chosen.”

“For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Tri-Wizard, it is a three stage tournament between the schools. The students chosen, or champions, perform strenuous and challenging tasks and at the end the winner receives 1000 Galleons. I’m sure that all those eligible know how the process works, so I will leave it at that.”

Dumbledore took his seat.

A solid silence covered the room and was not broken until Madam Maxime again rose from her tall chair.

“Zank you, Monsieur Dumbledore. Students, Monsieur Dumbledore comes to us from ‘ogwarts and Monsieur Brunckston serves as ‘eadmaster at Durmstang,” she said gesturing to the man on her left, “Zee students from zese schools zat are entering will be arriving ‘ere on ‘alloween.”

Melody nearly fell out of her seat. Harry was coming to Beauxbaton!



After the feast, Melody gathered all the first years near her table and separated them into their assigned houses. Thankfully, all of them remembered what they had been assigned in their letter and she easily left the members of the Rusé Dormitory in Marcus’ care. The Bravours followed her out the stained glass doors and to the right across the grounds.

The first floor was already swarming with pupils when Melody entered with her entourage. This floor was nothing different from the common rooms of Hogwarts. She acknowledged the room quickly, but then began climbing the spiral staircase in the center of the room. She waited as the last of the first years climbed the last step until she announced that boy’s dorms were to the right and girls to the left.

Once they were all safely stored away in their rooms, Melody continued up the stairs to the ninth floor. Just above the seventh year dorms, this was the Patron suite. Melody stepped triumphantly off the stairway and into a sitting room of her own. A fire blazed in the corner and beautiful leather sofas called out her name.

She collapsed on one for a second, but anxiously stood and wandered around the room. In another corner, there sat a mahogany desk with a lamp alight. Windows surrounded the room and a faint light lit the room, but the afternoon sun was going down now.

As she continued exploring the suite, she opened doors off to the side. The first she opened was her closet. Someone had already hung up all of her clothes and put away all her possessions, for her trunks sat empty on the corner. She closed the door to this room behind her and opened the next. This one led to her bedroom. The walls were a beautiful honey color that complimented the lilac, satin bedding. Frames stood empty on the walls awaiting her own photos. Pulling herself from the room, she closed the door and continued on to the next. The first thing she noticed of this room was its scent. Vanilla filled the air of her bathroom.

She reentered her sitting room nearly shaking with excitement. Everything that was negative about this year seemed to be showing a good result.

Passing the desk, she came upon yet another door. Behind this one was another bedroom. The walls were a stunning emerald and the bedding was white satin.

Celeste had to see this.

Melody began to walk down the steps. Soon, she was on the first floor searching for Celeste among the crowd. After a few minutes of searching, she found her sitting with Brigitte and Babette, twin seventh years, in the circle of chairs in the corner.

Melody broke through the crowd and yanked Celeste from the intimate group. She raced her up the stairs and to the suite. Celeste stopped in awe upon reaching the last step.

“Isn’t it amazing, Celeste?” Melody asked still in awe herself.

Celeste mouth gaped as she replied, “Amazing.”