Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Last Line by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The next morning, Melody rose from her bed early and quickly slipped into the sitting room. Faint light entered through the large windows, but the room was still dark. Melody concentrated on the lights, and in a moment, they had illuminated. She had learned this trick as a young girl. Anna could always hear if she moved around after bedtime.

She took a step into the bathroom and crossed to the bath. Turning two handles, heavily scented water poured out. As it filled, she gathered her school uniform. For classes at Beauxbatons, female students were required to wear a collared shirt and modest skirt. From her closet, she pulled a khaki pleated skirt and a white polo.

Upon returning to the bathroom, she slipped out of her pajamas and into the water. She slinked under the water and pulled herself back to the surface. Before getting out, she rinsed and shampooed her hair.

When she reentered the sitting room, the morning sun was creeping through the room. She paused for a moment, but then with a flick of her wrist, dried her hair.

Sitting down at her vanity, she perfected herself for a few moments. When she had finished, she looked at her reflection for awhile. The longer she looked at herself, the more she grew fond of the image. Just the previous day’s good news had brought back a little of her confidence. She was ready to face her first day of classes.

In her bag, she placed the two-way mirror. Sometime today, she would call Harry, but it was too early at Hogwarts to call now.


When she arrived down at breakfast, Melody motioned for Celeste and the Pentier twins to join her at the Patron table.

Throughout breakfast, they were their usual selves…annoying. Babette and Brigitte gushed over Marcus who was seated opposite Melody while Celeste rambled in Melody’s ear about the latest gossip.

Melody ignored her until she mentioned Marcel Eubons.

“Wait, what did you say?” she asked.

“Oh, apparently, Maggie, Renae, Michelle, and Aimée all ‘ave a crush on ‘im,” she said matter-of-factly.

Melody leaned over slightly, “This Marcel…when did he become so…I don’t know…cool?”

“The summer before last year. According to his friends, ‘e was trying to impress someone, but I never learned who. I guess it didn’t work out, because ‘e doesn’t ‘ave a girlfriend.”

Picking up on the conversation, Babette chimed in, “Trust me, the only reason ‘e doesn’t ‘ave a girlfriend is because ‘e is the choosy one. ‘e could easily ‘ave any girl in this school.”

“Not any girl,” Melody said quickly.

“You just wait, Melody. You’ll see,” Babette replied.

Laughing, Celeste said, “Actually, Babette, I don’t think she is lying. Melody already ‘as a beau.”

With the mention of boyfriends, Brigitte turned around.

“If she ‘as a boyfriend, then why don’t we know ‘im?” she said quickly.

Trying to fight back the laughter after seeing Melody’s face, Celeste replied, “Oh, I’m sure you know who ‘e is.”

“Celeste, stop it,” Melody said sharply, “They don’t need to know.”

“What?” Babette laughed, “Is ‘e really that disgusting?”

“Harry’s not disgusting!” Melody snapped before realizing her blunder.

She clapped her hands over her mouth and slumped over in her seat. The twins’ eyes were wide as they slowly leaned toward her.

“’arry Potter?” they said in unison.

Celeste looked at Melody and shrugged, “Well, there’s no use ‘iding it now. Yes, the famous ‘arry Potter is Melody’s boyfriend.”

“Must you say it like that?” Melody said, pulling herself up in her seat.

“ ’e is famous, Melody,” Celeste replied.

As Celeste pretended she knew Harry for the twins, Melody reached in her bag and pulled out the mirror. It was broken.

Not again.

Over the summer, Melody had gone through a nasty phase where things broke or shattered around her whenever she was angry. It had stopped happening, so she assumed it was over for good.

She rose and looked into the depths of her bag. There were shards everywhere, she would have to take this to the foyer to fix.

“Where are you going, Melody? You still ‘ave to tell us if ‘e is a good kisser,” Brigitte laughed.

Turning around, Melody shot her an almost disgusted look. Ever since she had met Brigitte, things had been this way. Melody had assumed she would change, but Brigitte never did.

“You know what, Brig. I think it’s about time you grew out of this unbelievably annoying stage and got a life of your own,” Melody said sharply.

As she exited the dining hall, she heard glass break behind her. Without even looking back, she entered the foyer.
7:50:…6:50 at Hogwarts.

It was still too early to call Harry.

She walked out onto the yard, but hesitated at the bottom step. There, by the large willow tree, stood Marcel.

Resisting the urge to go over to him, Melody quickly continued on the stone path. The click of her shoes was soon met by another and she turned around to find Marcel behind her.

“Can I help you?” Melody asked, feeling awfully awkward.

He smirked, “Actually, you can by going to Marcus’ party with me on Friday.”

Melody rolled her eyes and continued on her way, “I don’t even know you.”

“I’m Marcel Eubons,” he said, walking backwards before her.

“Well, I know that.”

He stopped causing Melody to run into him. Two gorgeous blue eyes looked down upon her, and she found herself caught up in them. She made to push him away but he still held onto her arm.

“I don’t see a problem then,” he said in a cocky manner.

“Sorry, I’m not interested,” Melody said as she pulled away and left Marcel alone.

Keeping her composure in front of Marcel hadn’t been so hard, but the fact that his eyes were now clouding her head was another story.


When she entered her Divinations classroom, Professor Vanilea was sitting at her desk.

Without looking up, Vanilea said, “Hello, Mademoiselle Chancelle. It is nice to see you again.”

“Thank you, Madam,” Melody said faintly, taking her seat.

Vanilea looked up and into Melody’s eyes.

“Melody? Why are you so soft spoken?” Vanilea asked, standing and crossing the room to where Melody sat.

“I’m just tired,” Melody lied.

“No, you aren’t,” Vanilea laughed, “Did you forget who you were talking to, Melody? I know if you are lying.”

“Then maybe you can tell me what’s going on inside my head,” Melody joked.

Vanilea laughed again, “I’m afraid that even I can’t organize the mind of a seventeen-year-old girl.”