Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blackbird Aria by Glass_Paradox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to JKR.
Chapter 1- Different

I don't remember the moment I first realized I was different. You'd think it'd be something you'd never be able to forget, that you'd forever recall the time you're hit by that sudden stroke of insight that first shows you're not quite the same as the rest. But like with so many other epiphanies – the day you realize you will die, or that the world can be a bitter place– I do not. Maybe I slowly noticed that my family didn't have my dark hair or love for snow, but then, they never made a secret of my adoption. Maybe it was the day I tried to dance in a flame with Fleur but, instead of twining around me in gentle ribbons, it blistered my bare feet. Maybe it was when I first called the wind. Maybe I've always known – but it's been long since I mourned it. I am not my sisters, or my schoolmates; I am myself.

And why would I want to be anyone else?

- Ariane


Ariane yawned and looked up at the cloudless September sky. She smiled, leaning back against the tower and letting the salty sea breeze drift across her face.

"I thought you'd be up here." An amused, bell-like voice cut into her daydream. "Merle, I just heard. André decided not try for the Tournament. With Isabella out, and now him…"

"How was the Charms test, cherie?" Ari asked her sister.

"Simple, of course," Fleur said, waving her hand dismissively. "Don't try to change the subject."

"I wasn't trying to. But it's not all that important, you were far more likely to be chosen than André. Did Madame- " She stopped. Fleur was shaking her head, her silvery-blonde hair catching the sunlight.

"You have far too much faith in my abilities," she answered with a grin. "But in any case, I've got the Championship now. The only others… Claude, Mercedes, Paul-Henri – I should be able to outduel them, my grades are better, and Mercedes hasn't two brain cells to rub together."

"I did tell you, cherie. And I'm truly looking forward to Mama's reaction."

Fleur grimaced. "She's going to be rather displeased with me, I imagine. She might actually kill me this time." She laughed, a bright peal that carried across the sky, drawing longing stares from the boys below. "Madame Maxine approved my application. This morning."

"Of course she did, there's no one else at your level. And Mama will be angry," Ari said soberly. "You know she worries you'll end up crippled. God Forbid, what if you're scarred? Why, however could you go on?" Her straight face broke and she shot her sister a teasing grin.

Fleur chortled, giving Ariane a playful shove. "She can hardly object, since she pushed the Tournament with the Ministry. Besides, I'm sure even those backwards British healers could cure a scar or two."

Ariane shook her head, the mischief faded from her eyes. "She's right, you know. Fleur… people die in that game, and no healer can cure that. I don't think Mama ever bargained on her daughter competing."

"Merle…" Fleur sounded wary. "This is my choice. It's… it's something I need to do."

"You don't need to prove anything," Ari said slowly. "To anyone."

"It's not for anyone else," Fleur answered. "It's for myself. I deserve this chance."

"You do. I just… worry." Ari looked into her sisters eyes, and sighed. "Your recklessness will be the death of you."

"Adventurousness, not recklessness." Fleur waved her hand airily. "You think things through too much. Really, you would have so little fun without me."

"I imagine I would have so few troubles without you," Ariane answered dryly.

Fleur rolled her eyes. "Come with me, Merle."

"What, to England? But I'm not old enough to qualify." Ari stopped, seeing the confident, knowing look spreading across her sibling's face.

"Madame wants to win," Fleur remarked loftily. "And obviously, I'm her best chance. She'll agree to a few of my minor requests."

"So…"

Fleur smiled openly. "She's already agreed. You will come, won't you? I don't know how I'd cope, if you weren't there to talk to. The rest of our delegation seems incapable of holding a conversation without mentioning the Quafflepuncher Keeper's latest fling, or some such vapid nonsense. Besides, all the Heirs in Albion go to Hogwarts. Think of the connections you could make – it'll be good for the future."

Her sister nodded thoughtfully. "And, of course, I could keep you from getting killed."

Fleur glared. "You say that as though I'd fall off a tower without your watchful eyes."

Ari laughed. "Of course not, you're far too graceful for that. But you probably would insult some important noble's son and get challenged to a duel."

"Oh, well, I'd win." Fleur countered, smirking.

"You probably would," Ari answered. She paused for a moment. "You're wrong, cherie. Mama isn't maybe going to kill you – she's definitely going to."

Fleur looked delighted. "Then, you'll come?"

"Gabby is going to be furious, you know. The Tournament's all she's been dreaming about for months. I think she plans to marry a Triwizard Champion."

Fleur beamed. She threw her arms around her dark-haired sister. "Hogwarts won't know what hit it."
A/N: Merle means blackbird in French, hence the title. Thanks for reading, and if you liked it, please take the time to review. It'd make us very happy people :D

Second A/N:

It's been a (very) long time since our last update… sorry about that. But Blackbird's undergone a reimagining, re-plotting, and re-characterizing. Some of the old posts we'll keep, some we won't, and hopefully updates will be more frequent now. Thanks for reading, understanding, and (hopefully) reviewing.

~Echo + Kibou