Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Take Me or Leave Me by dreamy_luna

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Disclaimer~ J.K. Rowling owns all of these wonderful characters, I do not.

Also, anything sung by Lily or James in the Great Hall scene is from the musical RENT. Thanks to my wonderful beta Annalise!!!!
Chapter Notes: Yay! Its Done!
Take Me or Leave Me

Late on a beautiful October afternoon, the gorgeous red-head with sparkling green eyes had said yes to the messy, raven-haired boy. Lily Evans was going out with James Potter.


It was a Saturday night and James wanted to do something special. They went to the Room of Requirement, to watch a movie. During his second year, James and his friend, Sirius, had discovered that electronic items worked in the room if you knew how to ask properly. So, they decided to see Lily’s favorite movie, RENT, based off of the musical. Although it was confusing to James, he had to admit, it had good music. When the movie was over, a thought struck James.


He grinned wickedly at the girl in his lap. “Hey Lily, I have a brilliant idea!”


She looked up at him, a little nervous. “Yes?”


“You wanna give everyone a teenie, weenie scare?”


“And how do you propose we go about this? I don’t want to get in trouble!” she said, her voice rising quickly.


He sighed, for Lily always jumped to the wrong conclusions (with good reason).


“Of course we won’t get in trouble! I just thought we could give everyone a little fright. I’ve never pulled a prank with you before! Come on… it’ll be fun!” James pouted slightly and widened his eyes, giving him an adorable puppy dog look.


Lily burst out laughing. “Okay, then, what are we going to do?”


He grinned conspiratorially and whispered softly into her ear. She sat back and cackled evilly.





***


Shouts rang through the Great Hall. Everyone saw James and Lily arguing, but when they listened more closely, they heard that the fight was in song form? James’s voice came first,


“Every single day, I walk down the street. I hear people say ‘Baby’s so sweet.’ Ever since puberty, everybody stares at me. Boys, girls, I can’t help it, baby. So be kind and don’t lose your mind, just remember that I’m your baby!”


Lily just sniffed, upset, and looked away. James continued,


“Take me for what I am, who I was meant to be. And if you give a damn, take me baby or leave me. A tiger in a cage can never see the sun. This diva needs her stage. Baby let’s have fun!”


While James sung, Lily just kept eating, but this line struck a chord. She stood up and crossed her arms, glaring daggers at him from across the table. This didn’t stop James however


“You are the one I choose. Folks would kill to fill your shoes!”


Half of the female population in the hall nodded while James’s friend, Sirius Black, snorted.


“You love the limelight too now baby. So be mine and don’t waste my time, cryin’. ‘Oh Honeybear, are you still my, my, my baby?”


Hearing this, Lily shouted, “DON’T YOU DARE!”


Unfortunately for her, nothing could stop James now. “Take me for what I am, who I was meant to be. And if you give a damn, take me baby or leave me. No way can I be what I’m not; but hey, don’t you want your BOY hot? Don’t fight, don’t lose your head, ‘cause every night, who’s in your bed? Who? Who’s in your bed?”


Lily rolled her eyes at the disgusted stares coming from her classmates. They were so immature.


“That would certainly NOT be you,” she stated icily.


“Kiss Pookie?” James asked with his puppy dog eyes. He was on both knees and could hear the sighs of girls across the room. Lily, on the other hand, closed her eyes in disbelief. When she opened them, she started to sing angrily,


“It won’t work. I look before I leap. I love margins and discipline. I make lists in my sleep. Baby, what’s my sin? Never quit, I follow through. I hate mess, but I love you. What to do with my impromptu baby? So be wise ‘cause this girl satisfies. You’ve got a prize who won’t compromise. You’re one lucky baby,”


As she sang the same chorus as he had earlier, James kept interrupting,


“Take me for what I am.”


“A control freak.”


“Who I was meant to be.”


“A snob yet over-attentive.”


“And if you give a damn…”


“A lovable droll geek.”


“Take me baby or leave me!”


“An anal retentive…”


Then suddenly, they were singing at the same time, their voices filling the Great Hall,


“That’s it! The straw that breaks my back! I quit unless you take it back! Women, what is it about them? Can’t live with them or without them! Take me for what I am, who I was meant to be. And if you give a damn, take me baby or leave me! Take me baby or leave me!”

As Lily stormed out of the room, she hollered, “Guess I’m leaving. I’m gone!”


James tore after her, leaving the hall in silence. The teachers and students were shocked at the break-up of the couple. Everyone was stunned, except for Albus Dumbledore. He was actually shaking with laughter.


Wiping tears of mirth from his eyes, Dumbledore stood and spoke with an amused tone, “Ahhh… the wonders of Muggle musicals…”


He was met with blank stares. Suddenly, everyone heard laughing coming from outside the doors and turned around in surprise. In came Lily and James, holding hands. They took a deep, elegant bow. The Great Hall erupted into cheers and chuckles save for the Slytherin’s glaring at the couple.


The two were still laughing when Lily announced, “A very large thank you to Maureen and Joanne of RENT. Without them, this would not have been possible.”


Then, she and James walked through their path of applauding fans, sat down, and continued breakfast, sharing off of one another’s forks. Sirius started to clap James on the back to congratulate him on his performance, but stopped as James began to choke on Lily’s spoon. Lily grinned, happy that she had such a wonderful boyfriend. She sighed contentedly and leaned her head on his shoulder.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading my first fanfic ever!!!! Yay! mwa ha ha! mwa ha ha! Now, could you please review! Yay! *kiss and hug*
~dreamy_luna