Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Worldwide Searches by Cheshlin

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Many thanks to DracoGurlFurever for her help as my Beta. I would also like to thank Luinrina and padfoot_returns for being great guides.
A tired and beaten Nymphadora Tonks-Lupin walked up to the large black building. Time was running out, and she hoped that Luna Lovegood was home. If not, the travel and hardships would all have been for nothing.

A small bird was nestled in a bed of mistletoe in her pocket. Luna needed the nargle to save Remus and several other members of the Order of the Phoenix. The little known power of the nargle was its ability to heal circulatory problems…and the Order had been coming down with some odd and unknown sicknesses recently. Hopefully, Tonks had made it back in time to save her friends and her husband.

Wearily, Tonks knocked on the door. After a moment, the door opened a crack. “Who is it?” a scared little voice asked.

“It’s Tonks. I have the nargle.”

After hesitating, the door swung open to reveal Xenophilius Lovegood. Luna was smiling behind him. She pushed by her father and embraced Tonks. “I’m so glad you were able to find one. They are so hard to see, let alone capture.”

“I’ll tell you just how hard it was later. Do you know what to do?” Tonks asked,leaning away from Luna.

“I think so. I found some notes in my mother’s old laboratory. There were some parts I couldn’t read, but hopefully I could read enough.” Luna’s dreamy smile didn’t reassure Tonks, but she didn’t know who else to turn to.

Too many wizards thought that nargles were a myth to take the Lovegoods’ stories about them seriously. St. Mungos certainly wouldn’t, and now that the Death Eaters were in charge, controlling things, most other Healers wouldn’t listen, either.

Luna led Tonks down a circular staircase to a lab that had seen better days. Three beds were inside, and one held a motionless Remus Lupin. Tonks took a moment to tenderly kiss his forehead, then did a quick visual check of Kingsley Shacklebolt and Charlie Weasley. All three were breathing, but very shallowly.

Luna pulled out a small cage and held her small hand out. Tonks reached into her robe and gently pulled out the nest. The white bird almost looked like one of the berries on the plant, but Tonks knew, from experience, the sharpness of its beak. Now the bird gave a small tweet as a new human held it. Tonks hummed a short melody while grasping her wand, and the bird calmed down instantly. She would have to find some way to thank Camira, a witch of the aboriginal tribes in Australia, who had taught the song to her.

Luna placed the bird in the cage and started chanting beneath her breath. Tonks found the rhythm similar to the tune she had just hummed. The cage began to glow a soft blue color, then the nargle began to sing. The song wasn’t pretty, but it had a rhythm that filled Tonks and she started to feel calm, peace, and healing fill her.

Tonks awoke to feel a soft touch on her shoulder. When she opened her eyes, it was to find Remus looking down at her in concern.

“Remus, you’re awake!” Tonks tried to spring to her feet, but stumbled instead. Remus caught her in strong arms. “You have your strength back, too,” Tonks said, laughing.

Remus grinned as he pulled her up into a strong embrace. “I’ve never felt better, and, since the moon is full in just a few days, that is saying something.”

“Then it was all worth it.” Tonks raised her face and pressed her lips against his.

Remus kissed her back until they heard someone clear their throat behind them.

“There are other people here, you know,” Charlie Weasley said, laughing.

Kingsley walked into Tonks’ view and added, “Remus isn’t the only one feeling much better now.”

Tonks looked sheepishly at her friends standing around her. “I’m glad that everyone is all right. You have to thank Luna, too. She was the one that discovered how to have the nargle help…All I did was search the world for the answer.”

Luna seemed lost in her own world and didn’t react to anyone’s thanks. Then, when they were all looking to leave the house, she finally spoke. “Belief is easy. It is faith and the search that holds the real lesson.”

Everyone stopped and stared at her for a moment but one by one, they all seemed to see the truth of her statement. Everyone left in silence, deep in thought.




Looking up from the newspaper, Nymphadora Tonks met the worried eyes of her mother. “It’s okay, Mum, I got back safely. Everyone fully recovered, and Luna spoke the truth that day. It is our search for and faith that the truth will free us that keeps us all dreaming for the day that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is gone for good.”

It was somewhat painful to remember the trip that led her all over the world, but it was also nice to remember the many people that she had met along the way. Someday, she hoped to go back and see them under happier circumstances; hopefully, Remus and their child would be able to go with her.

“But you shouldn’t have gone in the first place; you had the baby to think of,” Andromeda replied.

“I would have never told you, except this article on international cooperation caught my eye today. I’m surprised the current administration would even be talking to foreign dignitaries, but then I guess it shouldn’t surprise me. I’m sure their thirst for power won’t just stay here. They will soon be looking at persecuting Muggle-borns from all over the world.” Tonks met her mother’s sad eyes. “Dad isn’t the only one out there.”

Andromeda nodded, “I heard that several dignitaries from other countries were arrested for the same reasons as our citizens. I’m surprised other countries haven’t been more involved because of it.”

“I bet that it was kept from them. They probably think nothing is going wrong, or maybe it was reported back to them that their citizens disappeared under mysterious circumstances that were under investigation.” Tonks studied the newspaper again. “This article seems to confirm my suspicions.”

A kick from her child, due to be born in just a few weeks, had Tonks rubbing her stomach. “I couldn’t let my little wolf lose his father before he was born when there was something I could do about it, could I? I did have some fun searching for the remedy that would cure my friends and husband. The exercise probably did me some good too, since I was pretty much house-bound here. Who would have thought I would prove the existence of nargles? I think Luna still has her.”

Andromeda looked quizzically at Tonks for a moment. “What I don’t understand is how it was that you that ended up looking for nargles...how did you wind up on that quest?”

Tonks smiled sadly. “I didn’t know I was looking for nargles, originally. It all started when Remus came stumbling in one evening. He was pale and fevered, and I could tell it wasn’t the normal sickness that troubled him…”



Tonks rushed to put a chair behind Remus before he fell onto the floor. Unfortunately, she wasn’t fast enough, but she did manage to soften the floor with a spell her mother had taught her at a young age due to her own coordination problems.

“Remus, what’s wrong? What has happened?” Tonks raised his head and put it on her lap.

Remus struggled to speak, but only a soft sigh escaped him.

A frantic knock could be heard on the front door, and Tonks watched as it opened magically to reveal a breathless Molly Weasley.

Molly took one look in the room and broke into tears. “Not Remus, too! I was hoping he could try to find a cure. Charlie and Kingsley are both in the same condition. Arthur took them to the Lovegoods, since they aren’t being watched as closely as the Burrow and were easier to get to. We didn’t dare take them to St. Mungo’s, since it is under Ministry control."

“Slow down, Molly, what happened? What is wrong with them?” Tonks asked as she gently brushed Remus’ hair from his face.

Molly slumped into a nearby armchair. “From what I can gather from Fred and George, they were attacked by some Death Eaters. It seems to be some sort of curse, but we don’t know how long we have to reverse it. I don’t know how Remus made it home, since Kingsley and Charlie were knocked right out.”

“I guess he just had to see me,” Tonks said sadly. “Can you help me get him to the Lovegoods’? Since he can’t try to find a cure now, maybe I can.” Tonks was struggling to rise with the now-motionless Remus.

Molly rushed over to help. “I can’t ask you to do that! We have no idea where to begin, and, in your condition, you shouldn’t be traveling.”

“Molly, who else is there to search? Arthur needs to keep up appearances, and that means the rest of you do, too. It will have to be me,” Tonks said.



It took a lot of effort, but Molly and Tonks finally got to Xenophilius’ and tucked Remus into a cot right next to Kingsley and Charlie. Now, Fred, George, Tonks, Molly, Luna, and Xenophilius stood looking at Tonks, at a loss for where to start.

“I wish I knew who to ask for help. We can’t trust any Healers here in Britain, so I’ll have to go abroad. I just don’t know where to go.” Tonks looked at the others, pleading for some help.

“You could go to the great Healers in China,” Xenophilius suggested. “I know several people that had mysterious ailments that St. Mungo’s couldn’t heal who went there. There is a wizarding village along the Yellow River where you should find someone that is able to help us; it’s near Xi’an. More than that, I really don’t know.”

“It seems I have little choice but to try. The hard part will be getting there without the Ministry finding out.” Tonks sighed, looking tired before she had even left.

“Tonks, dear, you don’t have to do this. We will find another way,” Molly said, stepping up behind her.

Tonks squared her shoulders, knocking Molly’s arm off gently. “We have few options. The hard part will be leaving without letting the Ministry know. I will just have to take a boat across the channel, and hope I can get a port-key to somewhere in China. I’ll take my broom along too, but I don’t know what else I’ll need.”

Fred stepped forward. “George and I have been working on some stuff that could help you. I have a bag I charmed to hold a lot but not weigh you down; we can lend it to you. It can be shrunk to fit on a cord around your neck, and then you should be able to access it quickly. We will fill it with food, equipment, and anything else we think you might need.”

“It might take us a few hours to get everything gathered; why don’t you come to the Burrow and rest up before you leave?” Molly asked.

“That sounds great, Molly, thanks.”



Three days later, Tonks found herself looking at a huge Chinese bell in Xi’an, China. She had no idea where to go from here. Her trip here had been hard and exhausting; Death Eaters had followed her out of London, but she had managed to lose them before crossing the Channel. She had enchanted a small fishing boat to take her across the Channel, and had sighed in relief as she reached French soil.

Never would she have thought she’d be relieved to go anywhere but home. Then, she had been able to find an international Portkey that had taken her in a few steps to Beijing. It had been a tiring broom ride to Xi-an, but she had managed.

As she stared up, she noticed movement out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see a small sign with a wand, broom, and bag of herbs flashing with some Chinese writing. Walking up to it, she growled in frustration. “But I don’t speak or read Chinese!”

The writing changed to English: “To find our community, walk to the tower and tell it who you seek.”

“Well, that was easier than I would have guessed,” Tonks whispered, smiling.

It took her a while to stand by the tower alone, waiting for isolation, but she had patience and nowhere else to go. When she finally saw no one else around, she used a Disillusionment Charm and turned to the tower. “I need to find the Healers, please.”

A warm feeling filled her, and she panicked as her vision went blank. The feeling of falling filled her, and then she found herself on a path next to a murky green pond. Rocks lined the pond as if to keep it from flooding. Looking up, she saw a picturesque black Chinese building with a sloping roof and lots of windows.

The path she was on went around the pond and through a circular arch in a wall. It was beautiful, just like photos she had seen of Chinese architecture. Getting to her feet, she headed down the path to see where it would lead her.

As she went through the circular arch, Tonks felt a tingling fill her and blue sparks crossed her vision. Suddenly, the stones and trees in front of her turned to tall stone pillars, a lush river valley expanding out behind them. Gasping, Tonks reached behind her to get support from the arch. Heights had never agreed with her clumsy nature; she had always avoided them like the plague.

A voice talked behind her, but was obviously speaking in Chinese. Tonks turned to find she was on top of a large pillar with a small stone house. The house would have blended into the surroundings if someone looked up from the ground. There was also a good chance it was enchanted to be seen by only wizarding eyes, to keep it safe from Muggles.

A small Chinese man sat on the ground, looking like he had been meditating. Tonks smiled and asked, “Do you speak English? I’m sorry; I don’t understand what you just said.”

The man nodded. “Ah, someone from Britain? I’m surprised more of you haven’t shown up here, considering all the problems there at the moment.”

“Wotcher; oh. . . um. . . hello,” Tonks stammered. “These are troubled times. I’m glad you speak such clear English. I was sent here on a mission to find a Healer. I can’t go to St. Mungo’s for help, so we needed to find elsewhere to go. My name is Tonks Lupin. Are you a Healer?”

“I studied in the United States for a few years. It was quite an experience. I am what you would call a Healer, yes. I don’t know if I can help you, since you don’t seem to be the sick person. Can you tell me what happened?” asked the man.

Tonks proceeded to recount what had happened to Remus, Charlie, and Kingsley. “…and that is all we know,” she finished.

The man thought for a moment before answering, “I’m not sure if I can help you, exactly, but I have heard of a bird that could help you. I don’t know what it is called in your language, but translating from our tradition, it would be ‘white healing bird.’ Traditionally, the bird lives in the vampire plant, but it hasn’t been found in China for centuries. Our ancestors gathered the bird until they became extinct here. One day, I hope they shall return.”




Tonks stared at the meditating Chinese man. She had sat down next to him and tried to clear her mind. The path that led her here was not clear, but now it seemed to have disappeared again. The white healing bird that he had spoke of didn’t fit anything in her knowledge base, so she was little further on her path of discovering a cure for Remus than when she had arrived. Despair was filling her, and hope had little chance of beating it at the moment.

“Despair will get you nowhere,” said a woman’s voice behind her. “Clear your mind of all emotion, and maybe your path will become clearer.

Tonks looked up to see a woman dressed in traditional Chinese garb carrying a tea tray. She sat down next to the man, who opened his eyes and smiled. “This is my wife, whose name translates to Hope in English.”

The woman placed the tea tray between them and studied Tonks for a moment. “This tea will help refresh you and the little one you carry. It might even help clear your mind.”

Taking a cup of the warm mixture, Tonks took in the warm herbal scent. Just smelling it helped clear her mind, so she took a small sip. Peace and warmth filled her.

“Is this some sort of potion?” Tonks asked in surprise.

“Some people might call it such, but even Muggles can find the contents if they look hard enough.” Hope smiled over at Tonks. “I heard what you had been talking about with my husband. I know not what the bird is called in your tongue, either, but I have a friend who might know. She was born in Britain before going back to her homeland of Japan. Our Floo Network even connects to her house.”

Tonks put a hand over her stomach, where the baby lay. Maybe all hope wasn’t lost after all. It was easier to think with a warm drink and friendly company. Now, she had somewhere to go, and hopefully it would to the cure she needed.

The man got up and excused himself. Tonks nodded in farewell.

After a moment, he came back, carrying a sealed letter. “I never gave you my name, though you gave me yours. You can call me Ming, for that is what my friends in the United States called me. This letter will let Kasumi know your story and what it is you search for. I will send it to her by the Floo, so she knows a visitor is coming. Rest here and finish your tea. I hope the gods are with you, and guide you on your path.”

Tears filled Tonks eyes, streaming down her face. “Thank you for your help. I never expected to get such kindness from strangers.”

Ming disappeared back into the house, while Hope poured Tonks another cup of tea. “When good people are taken down by evil, it is up to all of us to see that evil is brought down.”

Tonks finished her tea, and followed Hope to the fire pit. “This might be a bit different then what you are used to, but it works the same way as your fireplace.” Hope gave Tonks a quick hug. “Good luck on your journey. You are traveling to Kinkakiju. Kasumi’s house is called Akemi.”

Tonks took a pinch of the offered Floo powder and clearly said, “Akemi, Kinkakiju.”

Rolling herself protectively around her stomach to protect the baby, Tonks bounced down the Floo. It wasn’t really recommended for someone in her condition to use a Floo Network, but she didn’t really have a choice. Suddenly, she slowed down, and she fell out of an outdoor pit.

Across a dark pond sat a three-level Japanese Temple which Tonks took in with awe. Whereas the one she had seen in China had been dark, this one was full of light tones.

Her view was then blocked by an older Japanese woman. “I am Kasumi. I believe that you are Tonks? Are you the Nymphadora Tonks that married the werewolf, Remus Lupin?”

Floored by this woman’s knowledge of her, Tonks got to her feet in a defensive posture. “My husband is a gentle and loving man.”

Kasumi smiled. “I never said he wasn’t. My cousin had lived in Britain until recently, when he escaped to save his life. He mentioned some help he had received from your husband, who led some Ministry workers away so he could make his escape. His mother was a Muggle, and there is little known about my father’s family in Britain.”

“I know how he feels. My father is a Muggle-born, and my mother and I have no idea where he is because he had to go into hiding.” Tonks took Kasumi’s offered hand.

“Come into the house. I have heard your story, and I think I know a little more information than Ming and Hope,” Kasumi said. “Just be warned, it is only a little bit; your journey is not ended yet.”

Tonks sat on a mat with Kasumi next to a low table. “Would you like something to eat? I have some Shiruko. It is a red bean soup with mochi, a rice cake.”

“Yes, please. It is something I have never had before, but it is fun to try different foods sometimes.” Tonks smiled.

After putting a bowl of steaming soup in front of Tonks, Kasumi sat down. “I don’t know the name of the bird you search for, but I can tell you that the vampire plants my friends spoke of is mistletoe. Mistletoe grows attached to, or within, other plants, thus why they are called vampire plants in some cultures. It could be fortunate or unfortunate, but there are different types of mistletoe growing all over the world. The bad news I have is that, since I know nothing about the healing white bird, I can’t tell you if it is found all over or in a certain region.”



Tonks was glad for the new information, but still didn’t know what she was looking for. “Do you have any books on mistletoe, or that could have information on this bird?”

Kasumi thought for a moment. “I have lots of Herbology books, but most of them are in Japanese. I have one that might have some information on mistletoe written in English. Let me go get it.”

Tonks sat on a bench out in the garden and tried to take in the scenery. She had never had a chance to travel this far abroad, and didn’t know if she ever would again. Taking in this alien culture would hopefully help her on the rest of her journey, even if it was just to give her beautiful scenes to remember in troubled times.

Kasumi returned with a thick book that claimed to give the history and properties of all the world’s plant groups.

Tonks opened the heavy volume on her knees and looked in the index to see where to find mistletoe. It only took a moment to find several passages giving information on the myth and magical properties of mistletoe. Tonks started scanning the pages, surprised to find out just how helpful the plant could be in Healing and potion making. She was even more surprised to find that it played a part in many mythological stories. The one that intrigued her most was about Baldr, a god that was fairly important in Norse mythology.

After scanning several more pages, Tonks closed the book and handed it back to Kasumi. “Well, I don’t really know more about the bird, but I do know a lot more on mistletoe. I think I’ll head to Norway because of the role mistletoe plays in its history.”

“I’m glad that you have at least found a new destination in your search. If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.” Kasumi gave Tonks a small bow and walked with her to the door. “I wish I knew someone in Norway to help you, but that is one place I have no connections.”

“I have received more help then I could have wished for when coming across the world blindly. I thank you for what you have been able to share with me. It has helped me get further than I was when I arrived here.” Tonks bowed awkwardly toward her host, then turned toward the road.

Having no other way to get there, Tonks pulled her broom out of her bag and took to the air. It would be a long journey, but hopefully another clue would help her get closer to her goal.


After managing to get an international Portkey, Tonks only took two days to get to Norway.

Looking out on a shallow bay, Tonks felt her breath taken away. Mountains were all around the water, and wild flowers grew next to a narrow stream. The stream wound its way into the mountains and seemed to create the only path Tonks could see to follow.

Tonks wandered through the forest, looking through all the mistletoe she came across. Though she wasn’t sure exactly what she was looking for, she knew there was a bird and it should be near the berries of the plant.

This wasn’t a very good thing for her to be doing. Climbing trees was dangerous for her under any normal circumstances. Being pregnant made it harder, for the consequences of falling even worse. Not knowing any other alternative, however, Tonks looked through bunches near the ground first, but began wondering if the bird would only live near the top. That was when she had started climbing the sturdier looking trees.

It was a few hours later that tiredness overtook her, and Tonks suddenly found herself hanging from a large branch. Unable to pull herself up, and too high to drop to the ground safely, Tonks felt fear fill her.

“Help, is anyone around? Help!” Tonks yelled in desperation.

After a few minutes of yelling, Tonks heard movement heading towards her. She put a little more desperation into her voice, hoping it was someone coming to help.

Large furry paws hit her feet, and Tonks screamed. Her fingers were slipping off the branch she held, and she was so tired that she couldn’t hold on much longer.

The paws hit her feet again, and this time she slipped and fell. Large furry arms cradled her, and then gently placed her feet on the ground. Tonks backed up against the tree trunk and watched fearfully as the bear shimmered and turned into a tall, burly man.

Tonks just stood there, staring in shock.

“I sorry, so scared. . .changing you fall would have,” the man said, with a very thick accent.

Getting control of herself, Tonks took a few deep breaths. “Thank you for your help. I take it you only speak a little English.”

The man nodded.

“Would you know anything of a white healing bird associated with mistletoe?” Tonks asked in desperation.

The man just stared at her with incomprehension all over his face. Tonks pointed at some low hanging mistletoe and flapped her hands like wings. He still didn’t seem to understand.

“Thank you for your help,” Tonks said again. “I guess I’ll have to look elsewhere.”

The man gave a small wave of his hand, and then changed back into a bear and lumbered off into the trees.

Tonks collected herself, sat down for a small snack from her sack and thought through what she had read in Kasumi’s book. Wanting to get away from this strange forest, she decided to check one of the other countries listed in the book. After thinking about it, she wanted to head somewhere that regarded mistletoe in a favorable manner. Tonks decided Romania fit best, since people there regarded mistletoe as bringing good fortune.

First, though, she needed some rest, so she put up some protective spells and rolled up under her cloak. Sleep overtook her in moments.


A few hours later, Tonks woke up, feeling refreshed and ready to go. Once again, she pulled her broom out and took to the sky.

It was a long ride, but, luckily, the weather was fairly nice for riding a broom. The sun was out, but there were quite a few clouds. Flying above the clouds kept her dry and allowed her the freedom to not worry about Muggles spotting her.

There were several forests along her route; several times, she swooped down to skim along the trees to see if she found mistletoe and the mysterious little bird. She never found anything.

When she estimated she was well within Romania, Tonks found herself once again over water. The trees around the water were brightly colored and gave her imagination a lot to play with. When she saw what looked like a church poking out of the trees and reflecting on the water, she thought it looked like a nice place to start searching for wizards. Going about on her own in Norway had led her nowhere, so now she thought she should try to find some help again.

This was one country that she was in luck. When she had been just out of school, she had visited the Dragon Preserve that Charlie worked on. Since Charlie was one of the people she was trying to help, she was sure she could get some help here. All she had to do was remember where the preserve was. In the end, she found it by stumbling across a dragon.

“Hey, what are you doing? That green Welsh can be friendly, but no one should approach her without help.” A couple of dragon keepers approached from behind the dragon.

“Jenica, is that you?” Tonks asked the tall dark haired girl who had addressed her.

“Tonks, what are you doing here? Charlie left to help with the fight to get freedom back. Where is he? Is he with you? He should be back today or tomorrow.” Jenica came up and gave Tonks a big pat on the back.

“Easy, Jenica, I’m not really in the shape to be pounded right now.” Tonks laughed as she rubbed her stomach. “No, Charlie isn’t with me, but he is part of the reason I’m here.”

“Congratulations, Tonks! Charlie had told me that you had finally gotten married, and to a man he totally approved of. Remus was his name, wasn’t it?” Jenica said.

“Yes, Remus is my husband. Remus and Charlie have been cursed, and we can’t go to St. Mungo’s for help. I’m searching for a cure, but I think I need some help.” Tonks started to wobble on her feet again.

Jenica, put her arm around Tonks’ shoulder and started guiding her towards the keepers’ camp. Her friend followed behind, laughing.

“You need a rest, and then you can tell me what’s up. I will give you what help I can. Charlie still is my friend, and we pair up when we can, which isn’t very often since we are both senior keepers now,” Jenica said with a smile.


****

After washing up a bit and taking a short nap, Tonks left Jenica’s tent and walked right into someone who was rushing towards her borrowed tent. As she fell to the ground, her hands were grabbed by strong, freckled ones. She was raised before she could hit the ground. Looking up, her eyes met the concerned, yet laughing ones of Bill Weasley.

“Bill, what are you doing here? I wasn’t expecting to run into anyone from back home here.” Tonks gave her friend a quick hug. It was great seeing a familiar face.

“I was about to ask you the same thing. I, at least, have a sick brother who lives here most the time. I came to get some of his gear and let the other dragon keepers know that he couldn’t return today like planned. He was only home for a week of leave when he got hit by the curse.” Bill frowned; worry filled his face. “We haven’t been able to find anything to improve their condition. I knew you were out looking for a cure, but I thought you had gone to China.”

Tonks gave a small laugh. “I did, and then I followed possible leads to Japan, Norway, and now here. The Chinese Healers knew of a small healing white bird, but couldn’t tell me more than old stories of them. Evidently, the ancient people of China had been so overprotective of them that the bird became extinct in China. They had a friend in Japan that they thought could give me a better clue. From her, I learned the bird lived in mistletoe. I still have no idea what we call it in Britain.” Tonks gave a big sigh. “And if I can’t figure that out, I fear my trail ends here. I followed some ancient history to Norway but ended up with no further information there. Coming here was my last resort, since Romania thinks mistletoe brings good fortune. I figured they might know something I didn’t that could be the reason the small bird has such healing powers.”

Bill had pulled Tonks to a fire ring and helped her sit on a bench in the fire’s warmth. It was late fall, and the temperatures were falling quickly.

“It does seem like you have been busy. Are you holding up alright? Mom is worried sick that you will bring yourself harm. I wish I had been there to stop you from leaving. I didn’t hear anything about it until two days later, when I went to the Burrow for dinner. Mom was crying while she washed some dishes, and it didn’t take much to make her talk.” Bill sat with his head in his hands; Tonks could tell he was running through everything she had said. Suddenly, he started chuckling.

Tonks couldn’t believe he was laughing at a time like this. “What is so funny? Your brother and my husband are lying under a horrible curse, and you are sitting here, laughing?”

Bill straightened up and stopped chuckling, but the smile didn’t leave his face. “You have been running all over the world…searching for nargles.”

“What are you talking about? I’m searching for some healing bird, not some made-up creature,” Tonks said crossly.

Bill held back another laugh. “What do you think a nargle is? It is a small bird the same size of a mistletoe berry. They are known to only live in mistletoe, but, because they are so small, hard to see, and there aren’t very many of them, people think they are myths. They do exist. There are passages about them all through Egyptian tombs. I have read many things about them in hieroglyphics, but had forgotten about their healing powers.”

Tonks stared at Bill in disbelief. “But the only thing I know about nargles is their ability to drive all thought from your mind. That is why Luna always says to stay away from mistletoe.”

“If what I interpreted from the tombs was correct, that is a part of their healing abilities. The nargle’s song puts one into a state of meditation so deep and healing that it is impossible to keep one’s thoughts straight.” Bill was pacing in front of Tonks now, trying to remember things from before moving back to the Burrow. “I think you are on the right trail. The hard part is actually finding one and then getting it to come with you. If you don’t get it to come with you willingly, it will just sing and escape while you are in that deep healing state.”

“That could really cause problems. Who would know how to get a nargle to come willingly with you?” Tonks asked in exasperation.

“Camira does,” Jenica answered from behind Tonks. “She has been studying nargles in the Himalayas for years.”

Bill and Tonks both turned to Jenica, surprised by her presence. Bill looked thoughtful for a moment. “Camira is that witch from the aboriginal tribe in Australia that Charlie talks to from time to time, isn’t she?”

Jenica nodded. “If anyone can help you, she can.”

“Thanks, Jenica. You have no idea how much help you’ve been.” Tonks grinned. She then turned to Bill. “When you go home, can you tell Luna and your mom about my search? Hopefully I only have one more stop, because time’s ticking, and we don’t know how long Remus, Charlie, and Kingsley can hang on. See if anyone can find some information on how to get the nargle to help. We just don’t have enough information right now for me to feel totally satisfied with using nargles to save my husband.”

“I don’t blame you, Tonks; we have all been raised on myths about nargles. Remember, though, many myths had their start in truth,” Bill said with a smile. He gave Tonks a hug before going on his way.

After asking Jenica a few questions about where she could find Camira, Tonks walked away from the dragon preserve and Apparated.


It took her a lot of work to get to the Himalayan Mountains of Nepal. Apparating was just too exhausting, but she had been told about how Camira had traveled from Romania to Nepal several times and had used the International Floo Networks that allowed her to arrive near the Barun Valley. Staring up at the Himalayas amazed her. That nature could produce something so large was amazing; it made Tonks feel very small in the immensity of the mountains around her.

Large dark rock jetted up into the sky in front of her. Snow covered much of the stone, although the meadow was green and formed a contrast with the mountains and the brilliant blue sky up above. After some walking around, Tonks found a small campsite at the base of one of the mountains. Hopefully her information was good, and that camp was where she would find Camira.

Using her Auror abilities, Tonks approached the campsite with care. The Himalayas didn’t belong to anything in her experience, and she wanted to make sure this was the campsite she was looking for before announcing her presence.

There didn’t seem to be anyone about. The only sound was the wind blowing around the mountains. She had used some warming charms to keep from freezing as soon as she had arrived. As she was creeping forward, a sudden warm feeling filled her, and she heard the conversation of a man and woman inside one of the tents. A small tinkling sound also began to spread through the camp.

The woman called out kindly in a language Tonks was unfamiliar with. “I can’t understand you. Do you speak English?” Tonks asked.

A small dark woman came out of the yellow tent, followed closely by a tall dark man. Both were smiling and their posture showed that she was welcome. “Speak some English, but not much,” said the man.

The woman nodded, but walked up and warmly took Tonks’ hand. Tonks had the feeling that the woman was learning more about her by holding her hand, but, because she didn’t feel threatened, she let the woman be.

“I’m looking for Camira. I’m friends with Charlie Weasley, and have come to get some help for him.” Tonks smiled when the woman nodded and indicated herself without letting Tonks’ hand go. “I need to find a nargle and learn how to take one back home with me. Charlie, my husband, and a dear friend have all been cursed.”

The man came and also took one of her hands. Together, they gently pulled her towards the yellow tent. Not knowing what else to do, Tonks went with them. When inside the tent, they both sat down and indicated she should do likewise. Then, Camira started to sing a strange and rhythmic song.

Tonks listened as the melody filled the tent. After a few times through, the man joined in. After a little while longer, the woman indicated to Tonks that she should sing too. “I’m sorry, but I don’t sing,” Tonks said.

The woman and man stopped, and then started back in unison at the beginning of the tune. The woman once again indicated that Tonks should join it. After a few more times, Tonks realized she was going to get no other information from them until she sang with them. In reality, it wasn’t so much that she couldn’t sing; it was that she was self-conscious about singing in front of other people. She could carry a tune, but knew she didn’t have a great voice.

Camira was starting to look a little cross now. Tonks decided she shouldn’t aggravate her any longer, and started to sing along. After ten times through, Camira indicated for them all to stop. “Tune help nargle trust, then will travel with you if you have mistletoe.”

Tonks stared for a moment, taking in what this strange woman had just told her. “So that is how to get a nargle to travel with you without putting you to sleep?”

Camira nodded.

“Can you tell me where to find a nargle?” Tonks asked, hope almost bursting out of her now that she finally had an answer to her biggest obstacle.

Shaking her head, Camira rose. “Must find by self. Should look close to home, or nargle die.”

Disappointed, but still happy to have solved the biggest problem, Tonks nodded. “Thank you. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this knowledge.”

“Help Charlie boy. He good man,” Camira said, then left the tent with the man right behind her.

Tonks stayed in the tent a moment, wanting to get some rest, but knew time was of the essence. She needed to go to the trees near London and hope that a nargle would reveal itself to her.

Pulling an Invigoration Draught out of her bag, Tonks downed the potion, hoping it would be enough to help her get back to Britain.

Leaving the warmth of the tent, Tonks once again pulled her broom out and took to the air.

****

It took almost two full days to get near London. It was a hard journey, and the weather seemed to have turned against Tonks. If she hadn’t known of some very good warming spells, she would have frozen to death several times over. The one good thing the weather did for her was allow her to get back into the country without being noticed, and that had been a big relief. Now, she was walking through a forest trying to find some mistletoe. Then, she had to hope a nargle was nearby because her body couldn’t take much more. She needed a week in her own comfy bed, hopefully with her husband snuggled up next to her.

As if agreeing with his mother, the baby gave a small wiggle. It was the feeling that her child was starting to come alive within her and her need for Remus to know his child that kept her going even when she felt there was no way to continue. The harsh weather was sapping her strength, and she was starting to fear for herself and her baby.

Walking into a small meadow, she saw a huge tree almost smothered in mistletoe.

Walking up to it, she put her back up against its strong trunk and sank to the ground next to it. Without conscious thought, she started humming Camira’s tune.

After some time, she became aware of a few small specks floating in front of her eyes. She rubbed her eyes hard to get rid of the specks, but they didn’t go away. Looking hard, she realized they were small birds, drawn in by her song. One landed on a small branch of mistletoe next to her hand.

Moving very slowly and carefully, Tonks pulled the branch up to her face. If she hadn’t seen the bird land, she would have never known it was there. It looked just like a mistletoe berry until examined very carefully.

A quick search through her bag gave Tonks a small knife to cut the branch. She never fully took her eyes off of the nargle, afraid she would lose it if she did. Severing the branch took just a moment, and then she pulled it slowly up, singing all the time. The bird just snuggled in when the twig went into the small pocket of Tonks’ robe. Sighing with relief, Tonks moved carefully and started walking towards Ottery St. Catchpole.


***

Tonks was looking deeply into the cup of tea in front of her. Andromeda sat, too, looking deep in thought. Movement from the doorway surprised Tonks, and she jumped, sending her cup flying towards the floor.

A spell caught the cup, and it floated lazily back up onto the table. Tonks met the laughing eyes of Remus as he walked over to give her a peck on the cheek.

“I always wondered about everything you went through on the trip to save me. I didn’t ask that first day because you were just too tired; I knew you needed rest. There never seemed to be a good time to ask after that.” Remus pulled a chair up between Andromeda and Tonks.

“I’m surprised I didn’t know it happened when it was happening. Molly sent me a message that you were both staying with Bill for a week or two to help Tonks get some color back.” Andromeda seemed a little put out. “I should have been told the truth.”

Tonks smiled sadly. “We all just wanted you to be safe and not worry. You had enough on your mind with Dad having just left and all. Besides, there was no way to know if I’d succeed or not, and the less people that knew what I was doing, the better.”

“But I’m your mother!” Andromeda slapped the table hard. “I had every right to know.”

“We never said you didn’t, but it was a hard time, and Tonks left before she could tell you. It was the weekend that you had gone to the country house to calm your nerves. You can’t really blame her for not wanting to add more to your problems,” Remus said, laying his warm had over his mother-in-law’s.

“At least I know the truth now. It does sound like you met some very amazing people on your quest. Maybe I’ll try to visit some of them someday. I have always wanted to travel, but never had the time to do it.” Andromeda sighed and sipped her tea. “At least I’d know some names where you didn’t.”

“That is very true, Mum, and you know where to start to find them, too.” Tonks laughed. “It all turned out well in the end, and none of us are the worse for the journey.”

“I am very thankful for that. You could have been hurt very badly, and then I’d never forgive myself,” Remus said.

“Remus, you were in no state to stop me, and probably wouldn’t be here yourself if I hadn’t succeeded,” Tonks said, laughing.

“We’ll never have to find out either, thank goodness,” Remus and Andromeda said in unison.

“That’s enough, both of you. Let’s finish this tea and go to bed. My voice has had enough talking for one evening.” Tonks sipped her tea, refusing to say another word the rest of the evening.