Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Flying The Nest by Quil Ink Parchment

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

My first attempt at a fic - hope it's okay! Thanks to my beta, Ari.
Chapter Notes: An introduction to the characters.
The Burrow was a crowded place. Magically enlarged to fit the people living under its roof, the building looked like it might fall down at any second. Yet the inhabitants knew it was probably more stable than any other house in the village.

Mr and Mrs Weasley lived at the Burrow. In the past, they had hoped that by the time all their children had graduated from Hogwarts, they would be living a quiet life, just the two of them. But that was not the case, and their life was anything but quiet.

Although only two Weasley children currently lived at home, the house was busier than it might have been. For with Ron and Ginny, the youngest, came their friends, Harry and Hermione. In normal circumstances, Mrs Weasley would never have allowed them to live in the house, but Harry and Hermione had been part of the family for ten years, and Mrs Weasley looked at them as her own children.

Moreover, Mr Weasley had decided that as Harry and Hermione were living at the Burrow permanently, they should be given their own rooms. Despite their protests, the Burrow was magically enlarged once more to accommodate them. The Burrow had rarely been emptier, but rooms were kept ready for all of the children who no longer lived in the house.

George usually lived above his joke shop in Diagon Alley. However, Mrs Weasley ensured his room was kept ready for whenever he decided to take a break from the cramped flat.

Percy Weasley had a house a fair way from the family home with his wife, Penelope, (previously Penelope Clearwater), who was seven and a half months pregnant.

Charlie, the furthest of the Weasley children from settling down despite being the second eldest, was still living in Romania and working with Dragons. On his occasional trips to the Burrow, he made sure to visit all his siblings and catch up with them. He realised that George, for one, was in a very different environment in his tiny flat over the shop than at the Burrow. For George lived alone in his flat; it was very unlike the Burrow, which was always full of life as people came and went.

Bill, the eldest, still lived in Shell Cottage with his wife, Fleur (who had just announced she was pregnant),and their one year old daughter, Victoire. They had named their first daughter Victoire because she was born on the second of May, exactly a year after the battle of Hogwarts. Currently, they were toying with names for their next child.


Ginny, the youngest and only girl out of the Weasley children, was working alongside her friend, Luna, in printing The Quibbler. Luna had taken over the post of editor from her father and had appointed Ginny to help her. This worked well for Ginny because she didn’t really have a boss, and the flexible hours meant she had plenty of time for Quidditch training, as well as seeing her friends and boyfriend. She had become Chaser for the Hollyhead Harpies, her all-time favourite Quidditch team, a few months ago, and still she felt like she was in a dream. There was, of course, a negative side to every dream, and the amount of hours they spent training was, in Ginny’s eyes, ridiculous. However, she did have to admit that, at the end of the game, it was all worthwhile.
One afternoon after a long training session, Ginny traipsed back into the Burrow, feeling well practised but tired. She wanted to change, have a shower and sink into Harry’s arms, but he was still working at the Ministry. Being the Head of Aurors took a lot of time, and Ginny almost didn’t see the point in having such short hours if Harry was going to work into the night.

She showered and changed, put on her most comfortable, fluffy slippers and snuggled down in her favourite armchair. Hermione, her best friend, joined her, collapsing onto the sofa.

“Hard day?” Ginny said sympathetically.

Hermione gave a noncommittal grunt.

Ready to go to bed and collapse straight into a deep sleep, Ginny sat up, knowing she had to be a good friend and talk to Hermione.

“How are things with Ron?” she asked.

Hermione groaned. “Terrible! I mean, there’s something there, but neither of us quite knows how to initiate it.”

Ginny nodded. “I’m sure it will happen, eventually. Has anything happened?” she added, in spite of herself.

“No.” Hermione sighed. “We seem to have these constant awkward moments where one of us says something, and we suddenly realise it’s not the sort of humour we can use around each other anymore, if you know what I mean.”

Ginny didn’t really, never having had this sort of problem. Harry was the only boyfriend she’d had whom she had been friends with first; they had started dating impulsively and hadn’t had any problems since. Ron and Hermione’s situation was very different, and Ginny wasn’t exactly surprised they weren’t finding it as easy as she had.

“It’s as if we’re both really conscious because it’s us, if you see what I mean. I love Ron to bits, but it almost feels wrong.” She sighed, and Ginny patted her on the shoulder, making a mental note to ask Harry what Ron had to say on the subject.

***
One of those awkward moments arose the next day. Harry, Ginny, and Mr Weasley had gone to work. Mrs Weasley had gone to Diagon Alley. Ron, who was also an Auror, was ill and had told Harry he would have to stay home “ actually, Mrs Weasley had told Harry. Hermione, who worked part-time, was also at home.

Hermione knew it should be her duty as the almost-girlfriend to look after Ron, especially since Mrs Weasley had gone out. She made him some soup, and handed it to him rather nervously. She had always been anxious about presenting her cooking to anyone, especially Ron, since he had been so rude about it during their year on the run.

She watched as he appreciatively drank the soup, wiping his mouth as he finished, and smiled at her.

“Thanks,” he said, and she relaxed. “That was great.”

They stared at each other for a while, not really sure what to say or do. Ron lay back on his pillow, and Hermione made a point of gathering up his tissues (without using magic) and throwing them away.

“So.” Ron sighed, looking out the window. “Lovely weather today, huh?” He groaned to himself. The situation was so awkward he had found the need to comment on the weather.

“Gorgeous,” Hermione said, half-heartedly. “How’s work been?” she asked after a long pause.

“All right,” he said, not giving his answer much thought. “There isn’t really a lot to do nowadays, you know?”

“Mmm...” Hermione said, nodding. “Anyway, I’ll leave you in peace.” She got up and made to leave the room.

“Don’t go!” Ron said.

“What?” she asked, turning around.

“I mean, err...” Ron’s ears turned red. “Please don’t leave.”

“I’ve got to do some work for your mum, I promised her I’d do it.” Hermione started backing out of the room, when Ron, with a sudden energy, jumped out of bed, walked over to her, took her arms in his hands, and gently pulled her close to him. He leaned in and kissed her, and she relaxed, not only allowing Ron to kiss her but kissing him back.

***
A while later, once Mrs Weasley had returned from Diagon Alley and Ginny was back from Luna’s for lunch before Quidditch practice, Ron and Hermione emerged from the stairs, holding hands and looking happy, hardly taking their eyes off each other.

Fortunately, Mrs Weasley had left the room to start making lunch, and Ginny was sitting, sprawled on the sofa, alone. She looked up as they entered the room.

“Feeling better R - Oh!” She gasped, looking at their intertwined hands. “Are you guys - Are you?” she squealed.

They both nodded, smiling at each other and sharing a quick kiss.

“Oh, God,” Ginny said. “Are you going to be all over each other all the time? Because I think that’s slightly hypocritical of you, Ron.”

They quickly dropped each other’s hands as Mrs Weasley came back into the room.

“Oh there you are, dears,” she said. “Are you feeling better, Ron? I’ll make you some lunch if you want; I’m making mine and Ginny’s now anyway.”

“Yeah, thanks!” Ron said enthusiastically, helping himself to a chocolate frog that lay discarded on the kitchen table. He and Hermione had agreed earlier they were going to tell everyone about their relationship at dinner, which Harry and Ginny had promised to be around for.

“Ron!” Mrs Weasley scolded. “I’ve just said I’m going to make you lunch! Don’t snack on those little treats right before a meal!”

Ron groaned and rolled his eyes at Hermione and Ginny, who both raised their eyebrows.

“Why don’t you get lunch, Ron?” Ginny asked sweetly.

“Ha. Ha. Ha,” Ron said sarcastically.

“I think that would be a good idea, actually.” Mrs Weasley smiled, her eyes shining. “Ron, you need to learn this sort of thing; go and make us lunch. Hermione, Ginny, help him.” She walked past them and lay down on the sofa, opening her copy of Witch Weekly and beginning to read.

The three young adults exchanged looks and proceeded into the kitchen, shooting amused glances at Mrs Weasley as she lay on the sofa. Slowly, they began to fix lunch.
“Hurry up!” Mrs Weasley called from behind her magazine.