Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

So Young by Hokey

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hi all! Sorry for the longish wait. This chapter is not part of the challenge, but I felt there was more to be told with this ship ;)
Another chapter is on it's way, as well. Please review and tell me what you think of this story!

Chapter 2: Now Taken

“Everyone ready?” Harry Potter asked his team, trying not to sound as nervous as he felt. He picked up his broom from the changing room bench, faced the six players and took a deep, shaking breath. “Well then, let’s go beat those lousy Slytherins!”

The team stood, doing their best to stand straight and act confident in front of their captain, and followed him out on the Quidditch pitch.


The moment Oliver saw Harry and the team emerging from the changing rooms, he left his polite conversation with Madam Hooch hanging and strode out to meet his old team mate. When Harry seemed to recognise who was walking towards him, Oliver saw his face light up in a grin.

“Oliver? Is that you? What are you doing here, mate?” Harry covered the last couple of paces distancing them and embraced his old captain, clapping him on the back. “Shouldn’t you be with Puddlemere? Not that I’m not happy to see you or anything.” Harry was still grinning widely and looked relieved to have someone there for his very first match as Quidditch Captain.

“We don’t have practise every day you know…” Oliver winked. “I heard the news, and wanted to come out and watch a game for once.” Oliver, who was slightly taller, placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Congrats on making captain, Harry. I think you’re a perfect fit. Carrying on with my great leadership skills, right?” he said with a wink.

Harry raised his shoulders and made a face. “Well, I don’t know, I figure they didn’t have many other candidates…” he joked. “I’ve tried to keep the team in good shape, I mean, I want to make sure we play a good first match, so I’ve been trying out a few techniques that you actually…”

Slowly, Oliver lost focus on the conversation, as he spotted someone over Harry’s shoulder. God… she’s grown even more beautiful, he thought. And she’s on the Quidditch team…

Oliver was awaken from his thoughts by the sharp sound of Madam Hooch’s whistle. Harry hastily turned to face the pitch, and Oliver gave him a quick pat on the shoulder and wished him luck. He then retreated to the side, numbly proceeding to climb the stairs to the first viewer’s balcony. He sat down in an empty spot beside Professor Flitwick just in time to see the total of fourteen players kick off from the ground. But this match, the only player his eyes would follow was the Gryffindor Chaser with flaming red hair.


Oliver stood with the rest and cheered as Harry, the boy whose role model and mentor he once had been, brought an end to the game by catching the Snitch. He held his hands high and clapped, beaming. He was impressed by the team Harry had picked out; Ron Weasley had turned out to have quite as much talent as his siblings, the new Beaters weren’t bad at all and the Chasers’ teamwork was stupendous. Although Ginny had scored about half the points herself, he guessed.

The rest of the students began milling down the steps and across the grounds, retreating towards the castle. Again, Oliver positioned himself by the door to the changing room, eager to congratulate the team.

First out were the two other Chasers apart from Ginny, closely followed by the Beaters. After a couple of minutes the Weasleys and Harry emerged, all in the middle of a laugh.

“Did you see the face on their ugly Captain?” Ginny was giggling. “It was like he couldn’t believe it, but what did he think, that they could win by drooling?”

The three of them laughed, not noticing Oliver at first. At last, Ron spotted him.

“Hey! Didn’t see you before the game there, did I? I was nervous as hell,” Ron said with a grin, obviously pleased with his efforts.

“Bye all,” a voice called, “I’m off to see Dean.”

Before Oliver managed to speak, Ginny had started off across the lawn, her long hair rippling in the wind. He stopped himself from heaving a sigh and faced Ron again, trying to listen to him repeating scenes from the match.

Behind Ron, Oliver spotted Harry, whose eyes he noticed were also locked on the redhead heading towards the castle. He also noticed the silent longing in his gaze.

Eventually the three of them started to make their way back to the castle, as well. Oliver lagged behind with Harry on purpose, allowing Ron to hop along ahead of them, humming happily.

Oliver first complimented him on the game, and Harry thanked him, insisting that it was Oliver’s mere presence that had let him relax and perform well. He seemed genuinely pleased that his old captain had come to watch his first game as leader.

“Harry,” Oliver then interrupted, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. “I just noticed… Is there something between you and her? I mean, between you and Ron’s sister?”

Harry turned and looked in the direction of front door, although Ginny had long since gone inside. His gaze became slightly hazy before he gave a half-sigh and said, “No. Or I guess there’s something there. So someday, maybe. But no.” He faced Oliver. “She’s with Dean Thomas now, a bloke in my year. Why do you ask?”

“No reason. She’s a good Chaser,” Oliver mumbled. He was grateful when they reached the stone steps. He cleared his throat and addressed both Harry and Ron. “I’m heading off now, I can’t stay or my coach’ll kill me. I reckon it’ll take a while to get back through all the security, too. On my way in I thought they were going to go ahead and search my intestines, while they were at it.”

Oliver gave half a smile and squinted up at the two boys in the dim light of the setting sun. They both grinned and raised their hands in a wave.

“Bye, Oliver. It was nice seeing you,” Harry said quietly.

“Bye!” Ron added. “We’ll come watch you with Puddlemere later, once they’ve realised you’re too good for reserve, okay?”

“Come back some time, will you?”

Oliver looked at Harry. “We’ll see,” he answered. Then he turned and headed towards the front gate.

He had come partly to see his old friends and his favourite sport. But deep down, he knew he had also come to see her again. And his premonitions were right “ she had grown into a very beautiful, mature young woman. Without losing even a hint of her spark or liveliness.

He had of course known beforehand that nothing was going to happen or change with this visit; it had been a shock if she had been single. But that Harry, one of his oldest mates whom he respected and valued as a friend, fancied her… That was something he would not wedge himself between.

Still, he was glad he had come out today, if only just to see her once more. It pained him nonetheless to learn that she was now taken.