Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Kissing the Joy as it Flies by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Seamus looked at himself in the mirror; he was moderately pleased with his appearance. His navy dress robes weren’t new as they’d belonged to his cousin once, but at least they weren’t shabby like Ron’s. He glanced across at his dorm-mates. Neville was tugging at the front of his shirt, unable to bear the stiff collar; Harry was trying to reassure Ron that he didn’t look too bad, and Dean was checking out his own reflection and smiling.

“Ready, mate,” Dean said as he saw Seamus look his way.

“Yep,” Seamus replied. “Shall we go get our girls?”

He grinned sheepishly. It sounded odd saying that about Lavender “ that she was his girl “ because Lavender was his classmate and he’d only asked her because he knew he didn’t have a cat in hell’s chance of taking Angelina Johnson.

“I said I’d meet Mandy in the Entrance Hall,” Dean stated as he cast one last look in the mirror. “Lavender will be in the common room, won’t she?”

Seamus nodded ruefully. Lavender would no doubt be there with Parvati, gossiping away about silly, muddle-headed things that girls thought important.

They strolled casually down the stairs together. Then Dean stopped and hurriedly held his hand up to his mouth. He breathed hard and then sniffed.

“What are you doing?” Seamus asked, puzzled.

“Checking my breath,” Dean muttered, slightly embarrassed. He breathed and took another sniff. “Nah, it’s fine.” He started to descend the winding stairs again.

Seamus didn’t move. “Why?”

Turning his head back, Dean laughed. “Seamus, Lavender won’t want to snog you if you smell like a dugbog.”

“Oh, yeah, sure,” Seamus replied. “But it’s not like that. She’s just a friend.”

Dean raised his eyebrows but said nothing. He carried on walking down the stairs and soon Seamus couldn’t see him anymore. Surreptitiously, Seamus lifted his hand to his face and breathed hard, then inhaled. He chuckled “ his breath was fine “ he had no worries on that score, but ... a snog with Lavender Brown “ nah, that wasn’t going to happen.

“Wow, Seamus, you look very smart!” declared Parvati as he walked in. “Lavender will be pleased.” She glanced up the stairs. “Any sign of Harry and Ron?”

Seamus looked around the common room, frowning. “They’re coming,” he murmured vaguely. “Where’s Lavender?”

“Umm, a minor hair emergency,” Parvati replied. “She’ll be here though, so don’t worry.”

Seamus was about to tell Parvati that he wasn’t at all bothered with Lavender being late, that it merely irritated him because he wanted to meet up with Dean and have a few laughs, when a swirl of a lilac dress floated in front of him.

“Sorry,” Lavender breathed as she tripped towards him. “I couldn’t find the right clip for my hair.”

Seamus looked up, about to say that it didn’t matter, because Dean had only just left and they could easily catch up with him, but the words stuck in his throat. Merlin, he thought, when did Lavender start looking like that?

As Lavender checked her hair in the mirror and began talking to Parvati who was tapping her foot rather impatiently, Seamus took a closer look at her. It wasn’t that she’d changed in appearance completely. She was still the girl he knew from class with shoulder length light brown hair and blue eyes, but he’d never noticed before just how blue her eyes were. Her dress clung very slightly to a body he hadn’t realised was quite so curvy. When did Lavender get tits? he thought. She turned her head and smiled at him.

“I like that colour on you, Seamus,” she began, “but ... oh, you have something in your hair.” She leant across to him and pulled a scrap of lace from his hair. Seamus recognised it as a piece of Ron’s robe that the other boy had severed off in a frenzy as he was getting ready that evening.

“Thank you,” he muttered thickly as she smoothed his hair down. Hastily, he averted his gaze from her cleavage, and instead concentrated on his shoes, which he saw he hadn’t cleaned properly. Polishing them hastily on the back of his robe, he steadied himself and took a breath.

“Shall we go?” he asked, holding out his arm to her.

Lavender giggled and accepted his arm. “Have fun,” she called to Parvati who had begun to look annoyed at this point as Harry hadn’t showed up as yet.

Parvati pulled a face in the direction of the stairs, but the next second, she was smiling at Lavender and Seamus. “You too,” she replied and started giggling as well.

Seamus frowned. Why did girls giggle so much? What was funny about taking a girl to a dance? Was it him? Was that why they were laughing? He could hear Lavender talking as they walked down the staircase towards the Great Hall, and he heard himself respond, but he had no real idea what she was saying. Perhaps he should just head back to Gryffindor Tower. Yeah, he could do that. He could tell her he felt ill. It wasn’t quite a lie, his stomach didn’t seem to feel quite right especially when she grasped him tighter and he could feel the soft curve of her breast against his arm.

Get a grip, Seamus, he thought. It’s not as if I’m on a date with Angelina or that Beauxbatons girl. The thought made him feel better. Lavender was a friend, that was all, and they’d have a good time tonight. He didn’t have to worry about anything; it wasn’t as if he’d have to snog her.

“Are you all right, Seamus?” Lavender asked, her brow furrowing in concern.

Seamus took a deep breath and then looked her straight in the eye. “I’m fine, Lavender. Shall we go and find Dean and Mandy?”

As they entered the Great Hall, Seamus saw Dean sitting with Mandy Brocklehurst and some other Ravenclaws. Mandy was wearing an orange dress that clashed rather alarmingly with Dean’s purple robes and was talking non-stop to Morag MacDougal. Dean pulled a face, waving desperately at Seamus and Lavender.

“Tell me,” Lavender whispered as they wended their way through the tables. “Why did Dean ask Mandy to the Ball?”

“Uh, well, if I tell you, you can’t tell anyone, okay?”

Lavender considered and then nodded obediently.

“He wanted to ask Parvati, but left it too late.” He laughed. “Then he thought he’d ask Padma instead, but Ron got there first. Mandy’s okay though, isn’t she?”

Lavender wasn’t listening, her eyes widening as she scanned the room feverishly.

“Lavender, you can’t tell Parvati. Dean will never forgive me!” Seamus exclaimed.

“Umm, of course not,” she replied breathlessly. She turned around, smiling ruefully. “It would have been fun though, wouldn’t it? You, me, Dean and Parvati.”

“Are you saying, Lavender, that we won’t have any fun tonight?” he asked as they approached their table.

He held out a chair for her, and she sat down, murmuring her thanks. Then, as he took the seat next to her, she leant across and whispered, “I know we’ll have fun, but it would have been nice being the four of us, don’t you think?”

Seamus wasn’t quite sure what to reply, because when she leant across him like that, he caught a whiff of a delicate fragrance “ sharp like lemons, yet warm like honey. Catching Dean grinning at him, he hastily turned away from Lavender and raised his arm to get the attention of a nearby house-elf who was carrying a drinks tray. He saw Lavender gazing rather dispiritedly around the table as more couples, all from Ravenclaw, joined them.

“What’s up?” he murmured as he placed a goblet of elderflower cordial in front of her.

“Umm, nothing,” she replied, but she wasn’t smiling quite as widely anymore.

Seamus shrugged. If Lavender wanted to tell him, he was sure she would. Meanwhile he was going to relax and enjoy himself. Terry Boot could be quite a laugh when he stuck his head out of a textbook and Michael Corner was a huge Wimbourne Wasps fan. Yes, he could talk about Quidditch and not think about the way Lavender kept staring down at the table, crumpling a napkin in her hand.

When the food appeared magically on their plates, he tucked in with gusto to pork chops, mashed potatoes, peas and applesauce. Lavender, meanwhile, picked at her goulash and refused dessert.

He frowned again. This was not like Lavender who never seemed to lose her appetite. He touched her on the arm.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked tentatively.

“Yes,” she replied blankly. There was a pause and then the couple next to her started a spirited argument about the differing educational system at Beauxbatons “ debating the pros and cons of a longer curriculum for the French version of O.W.L.’s. Lavender turned her head towards Seamus and whispered. “It’s just that they’re all so clever, these Ravenclaws, and I never know quite what to say to them.”

Seamus chuckled softly. “I find myself nodding or shaking my head and not taking a word in,” he said and taking her hand, he gave it a squeeze under the table.

Lavender smiled at him, and he noticed her eyes sparkling. She didn’t remove her hand from his, so he kept holding it, liking the fact that it fitted so neatly into his.

When the music started, she squealed in delight and they both laughed as Parvati dragged Harry around the floor. “I thought Harry was supposed to lead?” she whispered gleefully, and then she sighed. “Parvati does look beautiful tonight. I don’t think I could ever get my hair quite that glossy.”

Seamus grinned cheekily at her. “You scrub up well, Lavender. You don’t need to worry about that.”

She blushed slightly. “Thank you,” she muttered and then began casting her eye over the other couples. “I didn’t think Hermione would be such a good dancer.”

Seamus thought she sounded a little bit jealous and squeezed her hand again. “Would you rather be up there, with Krum?” he asked anxiously.

She turned her head towards him. “Umm, not with Krum, exactly, but it would be nice if I was with a Champion.” Seamus felt his heart sink slightly, but then she continued, “As long as you were the Champion, Seamus.”

Seamus raised his eyebrows and felt a furious flush flare across his cheeks. He kept his eyes on the dance floor and then when the Champions dance ended, he stood up. “Miss Brown,” he began formally. She looked up in surprise. “Lavender,” he amended, “would you like to dance?”

She grinned at him. “I’d love to,” she said giggling and placing her hand in his, she meandered through the tables and took to the floor.

Unlike Parvati, she allowed Seamus to lead, and he watched her face as she concentrated hard.

“You’re a great dancer, Seamus,” she said as he twirled her around during their fourth dance.

“I have two sisters, Lavender, and they needed a man to practise with, so they taught me in the kitchen back home. I soon learned to keep my feet out the way of sharp “ HEELS,” he yelped as she stood on his foot.

“Oh, Seamus,” she cried in horror. They stopped dancing abruptly. “I’m so sorry. Are you all right?”

“I think so,” he muttered, his eyes watering slightly. He could see Dean and Mandy laughing from the other side of room and he made a rude gesture with his fingers.

“Shall we sit down?” she asked and glanced across at their table. Seamus followed her gaze to see more Ravenclaws were sitting there, all talking and not dancing.

“No,” he said decisively. “I’d rather be in pain up here, than bored to tears by that bunch of know-it-alls.”

Lavender giggled and then she lifted her arms around his neck and pecked him on the cheek. Her lips felt soft and he could smell that lovely lemon scent of hers. Slowly, he turned his face slightly sideways; his lips brushed hers and then stopped. He felt her hesitation and thought she was about to pull back, but then she responded.

Oh my God, I’m having a snog on the dance floor! he thought feeling both terror and joy. He became aware of his arms hanging loosely by his sides. Where do I put them? Round her waist, or is that too forward? Merlin, am I supposed to open my mouth?

A couple bumped into them and they sprang apart. Seamus looked at Lavender closely, relieved to find she was smiling. She peeped at him from under her lashes; her blue eyes had never seemed so vivid.

“It’s a beautiful night, Lavender,” he muttered. “Shall we go for a walk?”

Silently she assented, and as he limped off the dance floor, he slid his arm around her waist.

A sliver of a silvery moon shone bright. Seamus could see the stars scattered like sparkling diamonds in a blue velvet sky as he walked around the rose garden with Lavender. They found a bench and sat for a while, not talking, just kissing and sighing at the wondrousness of it all.

“Shall we go back inside?” he asked, flexing his foot and realising that it no longer hurt.

“I’d rather stay here,” she murmured in his ear, lifting her lips for another kiss. Then she giggled. “I may not be with a Champion this time, but I’m having a wonderful night, Seamus. Thank you.”

And I may not be with Angelina Johnson, he thought, but I think I’ve found the right girl.

***


Later as he lay in bed, listening to Ron’s snores and Harry’s heavy breathing, he heard Dean whisper across to him, “Is she a good kisser, then?”

Seamus grinned. “The best, Dean.” He looked towards the window to see the moon sinking slowly behind the trees. They’d made plans for Hogsmeade the following weekend, and for every weekend after, he knew he’d be snogging Lavender Brown. This is love, he thought happily.

***


Seamus stood in the church and waited for Lavender. She looked gorgeous, but then he’d thought that for nearly eight years now, ever since she’d appeared in front of him in a swirl of lavender-blue.

“Do I look all right?” she asked him nervously.

He swallowed. “You look beautiful, Lavender,” he assured her and took her arm. “Yer man up there is lucky to be getting a bride as lovely as you.”

“And I,” she replied, giving him a peck on the cheek, “am lucky to have a friend like you.” She smiled fondly at the man waiting for her, all the way down the aisle, and then turned back to Seamus. “As my stand-in dad, do you have any fatherly advice for me?”

He winked at her. “Watch where you put your feet when you’re dancing, Lavender. Heels are sharp things you know, and they can get you into all sorts of trouble.”
Chapter Endnotes: Hope you enjoyed that. Review if you'd like to.