Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda by miss ginny1

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:
I am not J.K. Rowling, nor will I ever be, much to my displeasure. Everything in the world of Harry Potter belongs to her, except for one or two things I make up to keep the story going.
Chapter Notes: Here goes, everyone! Enjoy!
Year One

“Harry! Com’on! You’re going to be late for the train!” James Potter called to his son from the living room of his family’s cottage.

“Oh, James,” said Lily Potter, coming up behind him and hugging his neck. “Give him a minute. It’s his first day on the Hogwarts train… the beginning of his Hogwarts years… he’s probably nervous…… Harry, honey, are you almost ready?”

“Yeah, Mum, in a second!” Harry rushed around his room, making sure he had everything. Books? Check. New robes? Check. Trunk packed and ready? Check. Orion safely in his cage? Che- wait.

“Orion!?” Harry yelled apprehensively. He spun around on the spot, looking for his snowy owl. Harry found him sitting atop the wardrobe, snug in the corner, sleeping. “Orion!” Harry said, relieved and irritated. “ORION! Get in your cage! We have to go!” Orion nipped Harry’s finger bitterly and sleepily as he flew into his cage. “I’m ready, Mum!” Harry shrieked excitedly, running down the hallway with trunk and cage in tow. He made a sharp stop in front of his parents in the living room. Harry almost fell on his mother, and Orion looked rather disheveled and annoyed. Both of his parents laughed.

“Alright, mate,” James said, grabbing his son’s belongings from his hands. “Do you want to go ahead and go or wait for Uncle Sirius?”

Crack. “Who said you had to wait?” Sirius Black’s head shook as he laughed heartily. “Hey, champ.” He smiled down at Harry.

“SIRIUS!” Harry got a head start and flung his arms around his Godfather’s neck.

“Alright, kid, loosen up. Don’t want to choke me do you?” Sirius chuckled again, and Harry hopped down.

“Where’s Cassidy?” James asked, giving his ‘brother’ a sideways hug.

“You know, teenagers,” Sirius said shaking his head exasperatedly at the thought of his teenage daughter, Cassidy Sapphire Hestina Emilia Mikala Black. “Wanted to be with her friends. Didn’t want to hang out with dad…. But I got you, right, Harry?”

Harry laughed and nodded.

“Alright now. We’re all here, and we really have to go. Com’on, Harry.” Lily grabbed her son’s hand. “Hello, Sirius, dear, how are you?” James passed Sirius Orion’s cage, and there were three small cracks! all in procession.

“I’m fine, love, and yourself?”

“Nervous.” Lily still gripped Harry’s hand in her own.

“He’ll be fine, sweetheart,” James said, setting down Harry’s trunk.

“Mum, will you let go of me… Please?… Now?”

“Harry, honey-”

“Lily-”

“Sirius, you don’t,”

“WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GET HER TO LET GO OF ME?!” Everyone looked down at Harry. “Uhhh… please?” They all laughed.

“Really, love,” James whispered to his wife, prying her hand from Harry’s. “It’ll be okay. And look, there’s Arthur Weasley, from the Ministry. Arthur!” James waved at his coworker and his wife, their four sons and ten-year-old daughter listening and watching curiously.

“James!” Arthur called back smiling, waving his hand. Arthur said something to his wife, Molly, then looked over at his youngest son, Ronald, and asked something in a cheerful voice. Ronald shook his head enthusiastically, and together he and his dad walked side by side over to the Potters, Ron’s fiery red hair standing out from the crowd just like his brothers and sister.

“Ah, Arthur, good to see you again, mate,” said James, shaking Mr. Weasley’s hand. “And hullo, Ron, how are you?”

“Fine, Mr. Potter. Hi, Harry.” The boys smiled and nodded at one another. There was a moment dead silence, and then Sirius decided to butt in.

“Well, I love to stand around and say nothing as much as the next guy, but I’m sure the boys want to hurry and get a good spot on the train. I know I used to. Com’on, boys. Great to see to you again, Mr. Weasley.” Sirius walked off with two of Hogwarts’ newest students trailing behind.

“Allow me to personally apologize for Sirius’ abrupt behavior, Arthur,” said James with an amused look on his pale face. “You’d think he’d learn something after all these years.”

“Absolutely no problem at all, James,” said Arthur with a laugh. “In fact, I think I could say the same thing about the twins… Ah, well. Lily, darling! You’ve been so quiet. How are you?”

“Fine, Arthur,” replied Lily with a robotic like smile, for she was busy allowing her eyes to trail after her young son as he waited with his Godfather for Ron to gather his belongings. “And yourself?” The little group trailed off into polite conversation, Mrs. Weasley joining them while she waited for her children to settle their belongings on the train. Soon after- much, much too soon for Lily- the whistle to the giant scarlet steam engine blew, and good-byes were exchanged and tears were spilled.

“You be a good boy, now, Harry, don’t go making trouble.”

“I won’t, Mum.”

“Yeah, Harry. Don’t be like me and your dad here that started a classroom fire on the first day of school.”

“Sirius?”

“Yeah, James?”

“Shut up before Lily jinxes you, you stupid git.”

“HARRY! COM’ON!” Ron waved at his friend from the compartment window.

“I have to go now,” Harry said, a smile spreading across his face. “I love you guys. I’ll write soon… Bye, Mum.”

“Bye, Harry,” Lily whispered as her son ran to get on the train before it rolled away. She distantly heard Sirius’ cheerful laugh and James’ comforting words as the train rolled away, but she was too numb to properly register it.

Then it was gone.

Just like that, her little boy was gone.

“Com’on, Lils,” James said a few minutes later. “Let’s go home.”


***

Dear Mum and Dad,
I haven’t even been here a week and I love it already. My classes are great, my roommates are hilarious, and I’ve already made a lot of great friends. I’ve heard a lot of stories from my teachers about you and Sirius, Dad. Did you really start a food fight in the Gryffindor Common Room in your fourth year? Anyway, like I said, all my classes are great, except for Potions. Out teacher is Severus Snape, and he seems to hate the Gryffindors, especially me. I love you guys and miss you. Write again soon.

Harry
Chapter Endnotes: Well? Did you like it? What was your favorite part? If you didn't like it, then what can I improve upon? I would love to hear from you guys! Thanks for reading!