Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Dark Encounter by Justice180482

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Stephanie (aka VIVAvivacious) for her beta work. Please review. Any and all reviews are appreciated. Thanks for reading. : >)
SIX

Hermione stacked the two cauldrons she had cleaned by hand on top of one another and cast a scouring charm on the rest of the dirty ones. At least they will be clean for him when he gets back, thought Hermione, but she wasn’t about to finish them by hand.

Hermione headed back to her common room, bathed, changed into clean robes, and did a little homework before beginning her nightly rounds. As she made her first pass through the dungeons, she half-hoped to see Snape waiting for her. But, there was no one. By the time Hermione finished the rest of her patrol and was headed back to the dungeons for a second time, about forty-five minutes had passed. Her second patrol through the dungeons was as uneventful as the first. There was no Snape. In fact, the castle was so quiet the ghosts weren’t even floating down the corridors.

The Head Girl and Boy were required to make two passes a night after curfew through their designated area to make sure there were no students out of bed. Even with her patrols, Hermione was still usually in bed by 11:30. But tonight after her rounds, she wasn’t ready to head to bed, so she stopped by the Transfiguration classroom where Professor McGonagall was up late grading papers.

Hermione strolled into the classroom in an effort to waste time. “To what do I owe this pleasure?” Professor McGonagall asked as Hermione walked in.

“Oh, no special reason. I was just doing my rounds and saw your light on,” replied Hermione. “I thought I would stop in and say hello.” Hermione had become close with her Head of House since taking the post of Head Girl. They would often spend hours chatting over tea.

“Well, as long as you are here, you might as well make yourself useful,” Professor McGonagall told Hermione. “As my best student, you are more than qualified to grade first year papers, and your help would save me a lot of time.”

“Sure, I’d be glad to help,” replied Hermione.

Professor McGonagall handed her a stack of papers, and Hermione settled down to help grade the work. They worked in silence for twenty minutes, and Hermione rather enjoyed helping grade the simple first year work. As the silence between them wore on, Hermione desperately wanted to ask Professor McGonagall about Snape.

McGonagall had strongly supported keeping Snape on staff after the incidents of the previous year. Because of her decision to keep him at his post, she had to fight off a lot of angry parents after rumours appeared in the Daily Prophet about Snape’s role in Dumbledore’s death. She had refused to take the easy way out and dismiss Snape.

Sitting in the Transfiguration classroom, Hermione was desperate to pick her professor’s brain for answers, but she was unsure how to broach the subject. Nor did she know how McGonagall would react to the questions. But one thing was for sure: Hermione was driving herself crazy wondering about Snape and knew she had to try to get answers.

“Professor, I had detention with Professor Snape tonight. He got called away in the middle of it,” Hermione began delicately.

“Oh?” McGonagall responded.

“Yes, he grabbed his forearm and said detention was over. He looked really worried.” Hermione eased into the subject of Snape. “Teaching and working for the Order seems to be taking a toll on him.”

McGonagall raised her eyebrows but didn’t say anything.

“It seems like a lot of pressure for him to be working for the Order and teaching,” continued Hermione.

“What exactly are you getting at, Miss Granger?” McGonagall asked as she stopped her grading and faced Hermione.

“Why did you allow Professor Snape to continue teaching here even though parents were against it? And why are some Order members so certain he is on our side, while others, like the rest of the Wizarding world, wonder where his loyalties lie?” Hermione spat out.

Professor McGonagall gave a short chuckle. “Feel better getting that off your chest?” she asked.

Hermione didn’t say anything.

“Professor Snape is teaching here because he is the best person for the job. My first priority is the students at this school and making sure they have the best education possible. They will get that with Professor Snape teaching them. As for his loyalties, I have every confidence in the work Professor Snape is doing for the Order. And I assume the Order members who wonder where Professor Snape’s loyalties lie are yourself and Mr. Ron Weasley. Let me assure you the two of you need not worry. Professor Snape’s motives have been made clear to all necessary parties, and those people are more than enough. Anyone else who has heard Snape’s explanations has heard them because of his own choosing,” McGonagall finished cryptically.

“But, I’m a member of the Order, and I’m not even sure where his loyalties lie. And why put all the effort into allowing Professor Snape to keep his job when parents are so against him? It just seems like there are many more important battles to fight,” Hermione replied.

“I told you, Professor Snape is the best man for the Potions post, and if he chooses to explain himself to you, that is his choice, but it is not my story to tell. These questions would be better posed to Professor Snape. But just know this, Miss Granger, Snape’s loyalties are, and will always be, with the Order,” McGonagall explained.

Hermione’s face fell; she had not gotten the answers she was hoping for. McGonagall noticed Hermione’s expression, and her stern countenance softened. “Hermione,” she said kindly, “I know you are a member of the Order, and your help is very valuable, but Professor Snape has a right to his privacy. He has told his story a sufficient number of times, so many others and I will personally vouch for him. He has explained himself to the necessary people; he can’t be expected to make his affairs known to anyone who questions him.” She smiled. “But, Hermione, ask him. You are an important member of the Order, and he might surprise you and answer your questions.”

McGonagall was calm and friendly, but Hermione knew she wouldn’t get any more information. “I doubt it. He thinks he is above me,” Hermione mumbled in a whisper. McGonagall gave her sympathetic smile, and they settled back into grading papers in a comfortable silence.

After another forty minutes of grading passed, McGonagall looked up and was shocked at how late it had gotten.

“Miss Granger, it’s past midnight. We both should be off to bed. Thank you for all your help with the papers tonight.”

“No problem, Professor. I will see you tomorrow. Goodnight,” Hermione replied as she stood and headed for the door.

As Hermione headed back to the Gryffindor common room, her mind drifted toward Snape. She wondered if he had made it back to the castle. Although she knew he didn’t want her help and would probably be mad at her for meddling, she knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep unless she made one more quick pass through the dungeons.