Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In Love and War by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A man in love is incomplete until he is married. Then he's finished. ~Zsa Zsa Gabor

The morning dawned cloudy and grey. A cool breeze blew dark clouds across the sky and threatened to dump buckets of rain on the wedding ceremony. As he made his way across the lawn toward the wedding circle, James glanced up with distaste, hoping the weather would hold out for the ceremony. He had been looking forward to this day for a long time, and though he was nervous for the safety of the guests, he couldn’t be more certain that he was about to celebrate one of the best days of his life. He did not want it raining on his proverbial parade, for it seemed an ill omen to start married life under such dim and dreary circumstances.

Walking across the estate, James was struck by how beautiful it was, even under cloudy skies. He was immensely grateful that Minerva McGonagall had offered them the use of the secluded grounds for their wedding. A stately manor rose behind him, and the pristine green lawn stretched before him into rolling hills. To his right was the formal garden, set with a large table for the reception dinner. Further down the lawn was a small pond, shadowed by the tremendous boughs of a weeping willow. It was next to this pond that a dozen chairs had been set in a circle for the wedding ceremony.

James glanced around the grounds, unable to see the wards that Dumbledore had placed for their protection, yet knowing they were there nonetheless. The headmaster had assured them that these wards were the strongest possible, and that no one except Voldemort himself could possibly bring them down. The thought slightly reassured James as he made his way toward the pond.

Dumbledore stood in the circle speaking with an official from the Ministry of Magic. It was wizarding tradition that an Unspeakable from the Department of Mysteries perform the wizarding rites for marriage, a tradition James had wanted to uphold. Lily had been hesitant at first; her non-magical upbringing had long prepared her for a more typical Muggle wedding in a church with a minister presiding. Yet after witnessing a wizarding wedding not long after their engagement, Lily had agreed to the magical ceremony.

Behind Dumbledore a quartet of string instruments was warming up on its own. Dumbledore saw the puzzled look on James’s face as he approached and laughed.

–I hope you don’t mind, but I thought some music might be in order for the occasion,” he explained. –I had to dig them out of storage; I think they are quite glad to be able to perform again.”

–They’re great, Professor,” James said. The quartet was still struggling to tune, but he had no doubt they would be ready; Dumbledore rarely left such things to chance. –Thank you for thinking of it.”

–You are quite welcome,” Dumbledore replied. –I’m sure you have far more important things on your mind at the moment than a Beethoven string quartet.”

James agreed; he would have never thought of it. –Is everyone here? Have you put up the Anti-Apparition jinx yet?”

–I have,” Dumbledore nodded. –No one can Apparate or Disapparate to or from the estate now. Everyone is here, waiting in the manor. I can call them if you are ready to begin.”

–Please do,” James replied gratefully. –I’m not sure my Patronus will be much use today.”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled as he sent a silver phoenix racing toward the house. –Relax, James. You have nothing to worry about. I’ll place the last ward when the circle is complete.”

James glanced at the sky once more; the clouds looked even more ominous than they had minutes ago. He felt more anxious than he had expected. He did not feel nervous about the idea of marriage; at least he hoped that wasn’t it, since the idea of spending the rest of his life with Lily excited him more than anything. The rain bothered him, but he did not think a sunny day would calm his nerves. It was the ever-present threat of attack that worried him, as it had for weeks. Though only slightly more than a dozen friends were attending, most were members of the Order; their wedding presented a unique and undeniable opportunity to hit the Order hard.

Lost in his thoughts as he stared out across the grounds, James did not hear Sirius come up beside him until his friend actually touched his elbow. –You okay?” he asked quietly as the rest of the guests settled into the circle of chairs.

James nodded slowly. Dumbledore took a seat directly in front of the weeping willow, allowing him a broad view of the estate. Alastor Moody sat to his left, as vigilant as ever, and Minerva McGonagall tipped her hat as she sat beside Moody.

Moving around the circle, James saw Hagrid take his place in the extra-large chair set for him, and next to Hagrid sat Dorcas Meadowes, a good friend from the Order. Frank and Alice Longbottom sat next to the McKinnons, and finally James saw Peter and Remus. The last empty chair was for his father; Lily had informed him that his father would be seated last, though she did not tell him why.

–Well,” drawled Sirius, –at least you look sharp.” He straightened the front of James’s dress robes, black trimmed with green, and adjusted the single red rose tucked into the lapel. –Not the hair, of course,” he continued, –but I guess Lily is used to that.” He grinned and winked.

Mary MacDonald, one of Lily’s closest friends from Hogwarts, joined them then. –She’s ready,” she murmured. –You need to step out now.” She moved to the middle of the circle, standing slightly to the left of the centre, and motioned to Sirius to join her.

–Time to go be a best man,” Sirius said, patting him on the back. He joined Mary in the centre of the circle, standing slightly to the right. James left the circle, feeling his heart start to quicken. It was really going to happen: he was actually getting married.

–Don’t look so scared,” whispered a familiar voice next to him. Though he could not see her, James knew Lily was under his invisibility cloak; she had wanted to make an entrance and had asked him for it weeks ago. He wished he had said no; he wanted to see her now more than anything.

–I’m not,” he whispered back, even though he clearly was. The music started and his palms suddenly started to itch.

–Just breathe, son,” murmured another voice: his father. So that was why Lily had wanted to talk to his father: the cloak was hiding them both. She had asked his father to walk with her, no doubt as a nod to her traditional Muggle upbringing. James felt his eyes blur slightly with tears; his father already loved Lily like a daughter, and that the two of them would get the share this moment touched him deeply.

The official from the Department of Mysteries appeared next to him. James noticed the wizard for the first time: he was wearing long silver robes that contrasted starkly with his jet-black hair and beard. He had deep blue eyes, set into a face that was both severe and kindly at the same time. He spoke with a clear baritone voice. –Shall we begin?” he asked.

At a curt nod from James, the black-haired wizard walked toward the centre of the circle to stand before Sirius and Mary. The string quartet concluded their piece and settled to the grass. –Welcome to this sacred circle, where we gather to celebrate the union of the two souls coming before us. Who steps within this circle and what is your intent?”

James reached out his hand blindly, hoping Lily would take it; he was rewarded when she squeezed it tightly from beneath the cloak. He moved to the centre of the circle to stand beside Sirius.

–I, James Harrington Potter, and I wish to be married.” He let out a sigh of relief; he had passed the first hurdle. He turned when he heard a gasp from the gathered crowd.

Lily had removed the cloak and entered the circle. She was stunning: dressed in deep green robes that matched her eyes, her dark red hair was curled and braided with gold ribbons. She was escorted on the arm of his father, and James felt a pang of sadness that Lily’s own father was not alive to be with his youngest daughter at her wedding. Harrington Potter beamed with pride as he walked with his soon-to-be daughter-in-law to the centre of the circle.

Lily kissed the elder Potter on the cheek before turning to the official. –I, Lily Anne Evans, and I wish to be married,” she said in a clear voice. Behind them, James saw his father take the seat next to Dumbledore. The headmaster raised his wand and cast the final ward of protection over the marriage circle itself. James glanced at the sky: it was still dark and grey, but at least they would be protected from an attack even if it stormed around them.

The official smiled at them. –As you have declared your intent, so now you must pledge your everlasting faith, love, and loyalty. Will all of you, present here and witnessing this marriage, support and uphold James and Lily with this pledge?”

Their friends answered with one voice, –We will.” James couldn’t help but grin as Sirius mouthed –I guess so” with a wink.

–Then please stand and witness their words.” The official waited for everyone to rise before he focused on James and Lily once more. He conjured three candles that floated in the air before them: one large golden candle flanked by two white tapers.

–Will you honor and respect one another through all your years together?” he asked, his voice ringing across the circle.

–We will,” James answered, joining his voice with Lily’s. The candle on his right brought forth a small flame.

–Will you trust and support one another through all your years together?” asked the official.

–We will,” they answered once more, and the taper to his left began to glow.

–Will you love and cherish one another through all your years together?”

–We will.”

–Then take now your candle and light the final flame between you.” He indicated to James and Lily that they were each to take a taper and light the centre candle. Carefully grasping the white candle to his right, James lifted it to the golden candle between them. Together he and Lily joined their flames as the official continued.

–You have pledged yourselves to one another. Two lives become one marriage, two sparks become one flame. May both burn brightly with love and joy.”

James grinned with relief, even though he knew they were far from finished. His smile turned into a happy laugh of surprise that echoed around the circle as the candles burst into shower of sparkling fairies. They danced about them before disappearing into the grey sky. The official winked at them; obviously that had been his own personal touch.

Turning toward the guests around the circle, the official spoke to them once more. –I ask you now to raise your wands with me and bless this couple before they exchange their personal vows with one another. To each of them I ask that you grant them your wishes for their new life together. James and Lily, please join hands.”

Around the circle, friends and loved ones raised their wands as James took Lily’s left hand in his. Small threads of colored light shot from each wand and wrapped themselves around their clasped hands, each different shade joining itself to the next until their hands were encased in a ribbon of rainbow light. James felt a warmth in his hands that spread to his heart at the joy his friends felt for him and Lily. He looked into her eyes and saw that they were shining with tears. A distant rumble of thunder did not bother him at the least in that moment.

–These ribbons are all the hopes of your friends and family for your new life together.” The official from the Department of Mysteries tapped their hands with his wand and the ribbon of light became a knot of golden rope, wound tightly around their clasped wrists. –With the fashioning of this knot I tie all the dreams, desires, love, and happiness wished here in this circle to your lives for as long as your love shall last. Please speak now your vows of commitment, further pledging your faith to each other.”

He stepped back, allowing them their time alone. James took a deep breath; he had been preparing for this moment for weeks. With his hand still joined to Lily’s, he looked into her eyes and began.

–As the Air I breathe brings me life, may I always speak truthfully and lovingly to you.” She gasped as she recognized the beginning of an elemental magic charm. It was an unusual way to shape their vows to one another; elemental magic was a rare and ancient branch of magic that few wizards still recognized. James had spoken in great depth with his father about it; his mother had been one of the last witches to study it, and his parents had used the charm at their own wedding. They had many happy years together, and James hoped for the same. A gust of wind blew through the circle, encouraging him to continue.

–As the Waters of life flow within my body, may I always be by your side no matter where the current takes us.” He felt the air around him begin to hum with the power of the charm as the elements responded to his call; unfortunately, that meant the first raindrops began to fall from the sky. James looked up, thoroughly irritated that his attempt at romance had backfired so completely. Lily squeezed his hand and took out her wand with her free arm. She murmured an Impervius spell, and as the rain began to fall in earnest, James was surprised to see it fall away from the entire circle, as if a vast invisible umbrella protected the gathered guests. He smiled gratefully and continued.

–As the Earth grounds and steadies my feet, may I always be strong for you.” The grass beneath his feat sprouted flowers; James felt the intensity of the charm increasing and for a brief moment doubted himself. What if he couldn’t complete the charm? What if he lost control of it? Lily nodded her encouragement, and he took another breath to finish.

–As the Fire of love burns within me, may I always stay true to the spark within and without.” A circle of small flames erupted close to the ground around them.

And the world exploded into chaos.

A second crack of thunder--this one closer, louder-- made him flinch. Everyone leapt to their feet around him, wands drawn, faces stunned. It was not thunder he had heard, it was the crack of Apparition--only that was supposed to be impossible.

His hand still tied to Lily’s, he instinctively thrust her behind him as their friends closed protectively around them. Outside the circle of chairs prowled eight Death Eaters, firing spell upon spell against the invisible barrier that protected them: not Lily’s Impervius charm, but Dumbledore’s wards. James glanced around, trying to figure out how they had even got onto the estate when the headmaster had cast an Anti-Apparition jinx along the borders. Then Lily gasped and pointed across the pond; he turned and saw another eight Death Eaters standing at the top of a hill, and with them stood Voldemort himself--the only one who could possibly have the strength or knowledge to breach Dumbledore’s defensive spells.

–That bastard crashed your wedding,” muttered Sirius beside him, doing his best to shield both James and Lily. James couldn’t believe it. How had they even known about the wedding? How had they found them? And how had Voldemort broken Dumbledore’s Anti-Apparition jinx?

James watched in shock as Voldemort lifted his wand and a powerful jet of golden light raced toward the invisible dome that protected them not only from the rain, but from the spells firing around them as well. With a sound like a dull bell, the golden light hit the apex of the dome and splintered; it fell dripping gold sparks over them, unable to penetrate Dumbledore’s last remaining charms. The headmaster stood, his wand raised, reinforcing the wards as a second and third jet of golden light hit the invisible barrier, cascading more golden fire.

And then from inside the circle a Stunning spell hit Dumbledore in the back, and the headmaster crumpled to the ground, unconscious. James, Lily, and Sirius whirled as one and stared at the official from the Department of Mysteries, his wand still pointed at Dumbledore. He was shaking, his face a mask of confusion and fear and anger, as if he were fighting against his own wand. James figured it out immediately.

–He’s been Imperiused!” he shouted, and before anyone could shoot to kill, he Stunned the official, who fell next to Dumbledore. That was how they had known about the wedding; no doubt they had hidden on the estate before the wards were even cast.

–Good call,” said Sirius, still standing at their side. James didn’t have time to respond, for at that moment, another jet of golden light hit the shield above their heads and it shattered like a sheet of glass; suddenly jets of light were everywhere, and people were falling and dodging and fighting for their lives in the driving rain. Mary MacDonald collapsed next to them, Stunned unconscious, and Peter narrowly dodged a nasty Blasting Curse that shattered the string quartet behind him.

There were several more cracks of Apparition as six more Death Eaters entered the circle; they were now evenly matched, although Alastor Moody rapidly took down a pock-marked man and turned to begin dueling with a squint-eyed Death Eater charging from his right. Frank and Alice Longbottom were fighting with a large man named Anton Dolohov, while McGonagall was helping Hagrid with a forest troll that had appeared, wielding a club the size of a small hound.

Marlene McKinnon suddenly went down clutching her side, and her husband sent a jet of red light at the dark-haired Death Eater who had hit her, blasting him backward into the willow tree. James just barely saw Marlene’s injury--a nasty gash across her chest and arm--when he heard Moody roar, –Get her out of here!” Jack McKinnon glanced at him, the look on his face telling him clearly that he would stay, but James nodded, and Jack picked up his wife and Disapparated out of the defenseless circle.

Lily was holding a Shield Charm for Sirius as he sent curse after curse toward two former classmates, Dante Avery and Borman Wilkes. Remus and Peter were fighting with Rodolphus Lestrange, while James’s father dueled a younger wizard named Travers and held his own quite well.

Hearing a sound behind him, James whirled to see Bellatrix Lestrange standing there, grinning wickedly as she raised her wand to his face. Before she even had time to open her mouth, Sirius had turned and blasted his cousin backwards with a particularly powerful Reductor Curse. With a flick of her wand, Lily turned and brought more chairs down on top of the flailing witch.

–Thanks,” James muttered, squeezing her hand and nodding at Sirius, who was already back at his duel with Avery and Wilkes. He wiped the rain from his eyes before he turned and cast several jets of light toward Evan Rosier, now dueling fiercely with Moody nearby.

–Mind your own, Potter!” the Auror barked, and James took out Wilkes instead, leaving Sirius battling Avery alone. Dorcas Meadowes was fighting a dark-skinned witch with long hair, their wands moving furiously as they danced around each other. Before James could get in a shot to help her, a large graphorn leapt into the circle, distracting the battle as it snarled and scattered the fighters. It made straight for the troll that was swinging its club at Hagrid and McGonagall.

–James!” Lily screamed. He felt a wrenching tug on his arm, and suddenly Lily was gone. Avery had grabbed her during the distraction, ripping the knot that had bound her to James and leaving a red welt on her arm as he dragged her away. Before James could reach them, Avery turned on the spot and Disapparated.

James glanced around wildly and saw that Sirius was down, a cut on his head bleeding profusely. Frank and Alice were still dueling Dolohov, and Peter and Remus were battling Rodolphus Lestrange as well as his brother Rabastan. There was no one to help him; he had to go after her on his own, but where?

–Check the hill!” shouted Remus; he grunted as a jet of blue light swiped his arm and dropped his wand in pain. Peter jumped in front of him, taking the duel with the Lestranges alone. –Go!”

James looked toward the edge of the estate where Voldemort had stood to bring down the wards on the circle. Avery was at the top of the hill with Lily kicking and screaming in his arms. He ran toward them, fear lending him desperate speed. A stream of red light narrowly missed his head as he skirted the pond; James fired back at a big, brutish-looking blond man, satisfied to see the Death Eater fall quickly to an Impediment Curse.

Voldemort rose from behind the hill. He turned on Lily, bringing her to her knees. James couldn’t hear what Voldemort said, but he saw Lily look straight into the Voldemort's red eyes, her back straight. He knew she would be defying him once more. Voldemort shook his head, raised his wand, and Lily fell to the ground, screaming in pain.

–No!” James shouted, firing curses as he ran up the hill. Avery went down, knocked unconscious. Corin Mulciber, another former classmate, stepped up beside Voldemort, wand pointed toward James, but the Dark Lord held him back. He raised his wand once more, and an inky black shadow began to race toward him.

James stopped in his tracks, stunned. The shadow rolled silently across the ground, dark as night and emanating an evil stench. He wracked his brain, trying to think of a counter-spell, but before he could even identify what it was, the shadow was upon him, crushing him to the ground and wrapping its dark coils around his body as if trying to devour him. His vision went black, and he felt as if his lungs were being crushed from the inside. He tried not to panic as an unnatural fear filled his gut. Determined not to die on his wedding day, he forced his thoughts to focus.

From the depths of his mind came a memory from one of his last Defense Against the Dark Arts classes at Hogwarts. The blackness strangling him was Serpentis Umbrae, the serpent shadow, a rare and ancient charm that produced a deadly snake made of shadow and fear. It was similar to a lethifold, but not sentient; a powerful wizard could command the shadow to destroy its prey both mentally and physically. As it squeezed its coils around him and he struggled for air, James remembered the only defense possible against the Dark apparition. He struggled to lift his wand.

–Expecto Patronum!” he cried out through the darkness around him. He felt rather than saw the silver stag erupt from his wand and begin to chase back the shadowy snake. It pulled away from him, leaving him breathless and weak, and moved back toward Voldemort, disappearing into his wand. James struggled to his knees, coughing and trying to clear his blurry vision. He could barely make out what happened next.

Lily grabbed a wand and blasted Mulciber down the hill behind her. She shot a Stinging Hex into Voldemort’s face. The Dark Lord narrowly blocked it, and his red eyes glimmered with anger. He pulled her up, held her close, whispered something in her ear. Lily shook her head, desperately struggling to get away, but Voldemort simply smiled as he pointed his wand and cast a spell directly at James.

Weakened from the shadow serpent, James tried but failed to parry the spell. A blinding jet of purple light hit him directly in the neck, and he felt his blood immediately gush onto the ground, pouring from a ragged gash in his throat. He tried to stand upright, but toppled over into the red grass, blinding pain burning through his body.

He heard Lily scream, saw her desperately elbow Voldemort in the gut as she began to run, felt the rain mingle with his blood as he tried but failed to move. Then Dumbledore was there, murmuring a spell over him, and a warm sensation wrapped itself around his ripped throat. The last thing James remembered was a brilliant bright light and the headmaster standing to face Voldemort, an angry and powerful look on his face as he stood against the Dark Lord on what should have been a perfect day.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: My heartfelt thanks to Samarie/Hopeful_song for her great beta work once again. This chapter is big for me and needed a lot more work so I appreciate her great skills and comments--they have very much improved the story!
And many thanks to Natalie and Carole, who helped me come up with Dark creatures to throw at the wedding party. Natalie went through most of Fantastic Beasts with me, and endured much through IM and PM. ;)
The declarations, pledges, and vows in this chapter were pieced together from several online sources and shaped to fit the ceremony as I envisioned it. I do hope you enjoyed them.
This story will probably conclude in the next chapter.