Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Right One by mgle_teacher

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Disclaimer: In its use of intellectual property and characters belonging to JK Rowling, Warner Bros, Bloomsbury Publishing, et cetera, this work of fiction is intended to be transformative commentary on the original. No profit is being made from this work.

Beta Readers: jen3227 of H&V
Chapter Notes: This was written as a pinch-hit for the LJ Community HP Secret Santa December 2008. However, it was never posted because the fest was cancelled.
Ron Weasley had a secret admirer.

Not that Draco particularly cared. However, as he watched the Weasel receive another mysterious package from a school owl, Draco couldn’t help but see red. Though he couldn’t fathom why he would be jealous of any gifts the Weasel received; the poor wizard didn’t have any physical possessions that Draco desired or couldn’t buy with his own money.

Yet, this was the third morning in a row that the Weasel had happily opened said packages with barely contained glee, ripping the shiny silver paper to shreds and throwing a beautiful Ravenclaw blue bow to the floor. He let out a whoop of joy as he pulled out a book, which the title Draco couldn’t see. However, judging by the pink tinge of embarrassment on Her-Granger’s cheeks, Draco haphazardly guessed she was the secret admirer. Truly, who else would give books for gifts other than bookworm Granger? Well, maybe he would.

Still, Draco forlornly wished he had someone to send gingerbread cookies, chocolate sweets, or even a book to. With disgust, Draco observed as the redhead wonder slung an arm around Granger, winked at her, and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Disgusting,” he muttered, never taking his eyes off the Muggle-born witch who had recently become the main role of most of his dreams and fantasies. Sighing sadly, he compelled himself to admire his crush from afar.

No one noticed as a particular blond stared sadly at the Gryffindor table.

***


Ron Weasley not only had a secret admirer but also appeared to have one that was quite possibly also in love with him.

Hermione stared with curiosity as yet another school owl delivered her friend of seven years a package. It was the fifth morning in a row that a package was delivered to the Gryffindor table. She didn’t want to, but she couldn’t help see green as she futilely wished someone would look at her as more than a bookworm and notice the girl underneath the brains. She sighed sadly as she realized that no male member of the Hogwarts seventh year class would give her a second look until they left school, or she moved to the continent and met a foreign wizard. Or perhaps she’d end up like Mrs. Figg and her many part crossbred Kneazle cats: Mr. Tibbles, Snowy, Mr. Paws, and Tufty. She already had Crookshanks.

“Wicked!” shouted Ron next to her, startling Hermione out of her musings. Hermione watched as Ron tore open bronze colored wrapping paper to reach the gift inside the oddly shaped box.

She didn’t have a chance to see what Ron had received when he wrapped his arm around her, leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek and mouthed ‘thank you’ to her. She flushed with embarrassment and tried to explain it was a misunderstanding.

“Ron, I didn’t-” Hermione began but was stopped by his boyish grin, and smiled instead.

No one noticed as a particular blond left the Great Hall in an angry storm.

***


Ron Weasley had never had an admirer before and felt rather special. He was sure that Hermione had been the one sending them at first, since they’d been dancing around each other since the Yule Ball in fourth-year. However, on the fourth day when he received a knitted scarf in multiple shades of blue and red he hadn’t been so sure; especially when he found a long blond hair stuck in the yarn. Upon further consideration, most of the gifts were wrapped in some version of Ravenclaw colors, and Ron thought that perhaps his admirer wasn’t a Gryffindor at all. However, the only possible Ravenclaw was Luna Lovegood, and Ron had disposed of that idea as soon as it popped in his mind. He had treated Luna rather brutally over the years.

As he sat in the middle of breakfast with an unopened musical box in front of him, staring at the note written by his no longer secret admirer, Ron blushed from head to toe as he re-read the words:

Ron,

I might not be the right one for you and this might not be the right time to say this either. But there's something about us I've got to tell you before you leave Hogwarts.

I really like you. I've liked you since my fourth-year. And I hope you like me too.

-Luna


Just as he finished the note, a shadow fell over him. Looking up expecting to see Luna, Ron was quite surprised to see a snarling Draco Malfoy instead, standing across the other side of the Gryffindor table.

“You don’t deserve her, Weasel,” the Slytherin ground out between clenched teeth before launching himself at Ron.

No one noticed as a particular blond continued eating as chaos erupted across the Great Hall.

***


Luna Lovegood smiled dreamily at the scene unfolding in the Gryffindor table.

Ronald Weasley and Draco Malfoy were fighting on top of the table, smearing food on their robes, spilling goblets of Pumpkin juice, and throwing punches left and right. Headmistress McGonagall looked torn between laughing and scowling.

Students were jumping up all around, not knowing whether to join or separate Ron and Draco while other looked around for Harry. Quite conveniently, the Boy Who Lived had gone missing that morning, possibly to go snog the stuffing out of Pansy Parkinson in an abandoned corridor. Amidst the pandemonium, Luna smiled to herself as she had heard Ron clearly shout back to Draco as he punched the Slytherin in the nose, “I know I don’t deserve her, Ferret! But if Luna gives me the chance I’ll make sure to never hurt her again!”

“Luna?” the blond boy shouted. “Are you mad, Weasley? I was referring to Granger!”

No one noticed as blonde Loony Lovegood skipped merrily out of the Great Hall.

***


Harry Potter wondered when the world went mad.

He was rather sure that this morning when he woke up, Malfoy hated Hermione, and Ron thought Luna was loonier than Trewlaney. And yet, somewhere in between a quick snog with Pansy after Potions class and before lunch, Harry’s world had been turned upside down.

As he sat across from Luna whom Ron kept making googly eyes at, and Draco smiling like an idiot as Hermione lectured him on fighting her friends, his and Pansy’s decision to make their relationship public didn’t seem like such a big deal. In fact, you could say that his sidekicks had stolen the limelight for once.

And Harry couldn’t be any happier.

“Potter!” Pansy’s sharp voice brought Harry back from his reverie. “Now that those buffoons are finally out in the open, I fully expect you to court me properly.”

Harry eyed his girlfriend suspiciously, and noticed the malevolent glint in her eye. He half suspected that Pansy had a hand in the new found relationships of his friends, and Harry was suddenly glad she was on his side.