Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Serpentine by SaladOrCellarDoor

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Slytherin. Please, please, Slytherin. Put me in Slytherin.

Ahhh, but that is not the right house for you, child. You are brave. Perhaps braver than your parents. And they were both Gryffindors before you.

I want to be in Slytherin. Not Gryffindor. Not Gryffindor!

Not Gryffindor you say? But you are so rash, so daring, so bold. Why, even now as you ask to be placed in Slytherin, you are acting far more like a Gryffindor. It is the right home for you.

I’m not looking for a home. I’m looking for Slytherin.

Look as you please, dear one, but you will not find anything at all in Slytherin. How many heads have I sat upon? There are so many children I have sorted, and, I dare say, sorted with undeniable precision. There are many students who walk the line, who could thrive in more than one house. But I do not see that inside of you.

What do you see, then?

I see a young girl who is trying to find her own place in the world without being overshadowed by her family’s past. She has a lot to live up to, and is desperately trying to find a way to do it. But she has the heart of a lion, and would instantly drop her dearest dreams to come to her family’s side in a time of need. She is smart, but not a scholar, and certainly not a Ravenclaw; she uses her talent outside of the classroom rather than within it. She is a loyal friend, but is not entirely welcoming to strangers and is not the most dedicated or hard-working of sorts, so Hufflepuff is out of the question. But she seems to see within her a Slytherin. No, no. She does not see a Slytherin. But she wants to. Why?

I am too a Slytherin. Watch me. Just give me my shot. I’m begging you. Dad said it worked for him. Please let it work for me, too.

You cannot merely give it a shot, Lily. There is no turning back. You are not a Slytherin. You are a Gryffindor.

I’ll do whatever it takes to be a Slytherin. I need this.

That sounds slightly more Slytherin, but it’s not convincing.

You wanted to put Dad in Slytherin. Why not me? I’m giving you the chance you lost.

I put him where he belonged. The parts that were calling to Slytherin were not his own.

But mine are! I’m cunning! I can be sly. I come from a highly respected family.

A family of Gryffindors. Riddle me this: why are you turning away?

I’m not turning away. I’m turning forward. I’ll admit it. I’m a Gryffindor. It’s because I’m a Gryffindor that I want, no, need, you to sort me into Slytherin. Please! Because you’re right. I do want to make a name for myself, and I know just how to do it. Sure, Mom and Dad defeated Voldemort, but the wizarding world still needs healing. When they brought down Voldemort, they brought down the Slytherin name, and no matter how hard Dad or anyone tries to show people that a Slytherin can be good, they just won’t believe it. There are plenty of nice Slytherins who have made our world a better place. But they do it quietly, without any notice. Now the whole house is seen as rotted to the core, and the kids themselves believe it. We can’t raise another generation of hate. The other houses need to respect Slytherin again. But most of all, Slytherin needs to respect itself. I know I’m crazy, but I need to do this.

You have left no doubt in my mind that you, Lily Luna Potter, are a Gryffindor. I have not doubt you will do great things. I’ve made up my mind.

“Slytherin!”