Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Encroachching Darkness by Quill And Ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ginny lay on her bed staring at the ceiling. Her thoughts shifted like the leaves on the trees that were just starting to change color for the fall; but what took over most of her mind was Harry. It had been too long since she had seen him. Ginny knew that seeing him would only make her hurt more, but she pushed that knowledge to the back of her mind so as not to bring up memories that were not wanted. Though, try as she did, the waterfall of memories from that day came flooding back.

She knew Harry had his reasons for breaking up with her, and she respected his decision, but she wished with all her heart that he had not. As she gazed out of her window at the sky that was slowly turning to dusk, Ginny thought of all the times that she and Harry had shared together; all the feelings they had had for each other. Her sense of longing returned and she almost forgot what was going to happen that night.

“Ginny, dear, everyone is about to leave.”

Molly Weasley had opened the door a crack and looked at Ginny. Molly knew that behind all of the ‘I’m fine’s’, that Ginny felt betrayed by Harry. “Come downstairs,” she said and closed the door at her nod.

Ginny sat up and looked around. She found her old sweatshirt and pulled it on.

On her way down the narrow stairway of the Burrow, she ran into Ron who seemed to be hurrying back upstairs for some reason. She stopped in front of him, making it impossible for him to pass by.

“Where do you think you’re going?” she demanded, glaring at him.

Ron stared back at her with sibling-like contempt. “I forgot something, alright? And besides, it’s none of your business what I do.”

Ginny’s eyes narrowed but she moved to the side and let him pass. Things had been rocky between them since coming home from Hogwarts. They had barely talked and when they did, it often led into a row that sent Pig into a shrill hooting and flying circles around the room.

She ambled down the rest of the stairs and wandered aimlessly into the front garden where a large group of people was scattered across the scraggly grass. Hagrid stood beside Bill, Fleur, Fred, and George a few feet away from the porch. Mad-Eye Moody was pacing at the edge of the lawn watching a shifty eyed Mundungus Fletcher. Lupin, Tonks, and Mr. Weasley all whispered almost inaudibly to each other while Kingsley stood close by, watching silently.

Ginny sat down next to Hermione on the steps and looked up at the stars.

“Are you scared? To see him again?” Hermione had never beaten around the bush much.

“It’s okay of you are. I would be too if I were you. But it has got to happen sometime.”

The last sentence came out almost like a question; as if she needed to reassure herself of the fact.

Ginny smiled at the thought of Hermione being unsure of anything. “I’m not scared exactly,” she said after a moment. “Just unprepared,”

Immediately after the last word left her lips, Ron barreled out of the door and almost ran over the top of the two girls, but he stopped himself just in time. He seemed slightly out of breath and he was clutching a broomstick in his left hand.

“Sorry…” he muttered as he pushed past them and strode over to where his father stood. Ginny glared after him and then looked back at Hermione.

“When did Mad-Eye say you were leaving?” she asked.

Hermione frowned. “I’m not quite sure, all he said was that we are on a tight schedule. You know Mad-Eye.”

The noise had risen to a low rumble by the time that the yard had grown quit dark. Ginny saw Mad-Eye stop in his tracks and look at a pocket watch he drew from somewhere in his cloak.

“All right all of ye,” he called out. “You know the plan, and you all know the dangers that may await us tonight. It is time to leave so if any of ye claim cowardliness, say so now, as there is no backing down once we get there.”

Everyone looked at each other and Ginny felt relief when nobody spoke up. It was silent for a moment more before Mr. Weasley spoke.

“Well now that that is settled… if some of you would be so kind as to carry one of these sacks, they hold the things we need for the plan, it would be much appreciated.” He looked grateful as Bill stepped up and grabbed one of the sacks and walked back to Fleur. Fred or George, Ginny couldn’t tell which, snatched up the other.

“Alright, mount up! It’s time to go!”

Everyone in the yard jumped onto an assortment of broomsticks and even a few thestrals that Ginny couldn’t see, but knew were there. After a few hurried goodbyes to Molly and Ginny, they flew away into the steadily darkening night.

Molly hurried back into the kitchen, but Ginny stayed out on the lawn. She watched the place where some of the people she cared most about had disappeared. She knew it was going to be a long and worry filled night.
Chapter Endnotes: Short first chapter. They will get longer though. Please review!