Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Things Change by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Five

James hurried from the classroom, ignoring the whispers and giggles as he chased after his silver stag. The entire class had just seen Lily’s Patronus”her very first one”walk right up to him and bow. Did they realize his Patronus was a stag? Did Lily? Did she understand what had just happened? More importantly, did he?

He found his Patronus not far down the hallway, butting its head against the portrait of Sir Cadogan, who was shouting, “Begone, foul beast, before I slay thee!” The knight was slashing his sword through the air as if he might actually hit the ethereal creature assaulting the portrait frame.

James waved his wand, and the silver stag disappeared. He took a deep breath and blew it out as he ran his hand through his hair. The scene in class replayed itself over in his mind: the look on Lily's face when she glanced his way; smiling at her, silently willing her to succeed; the stunning doe that had burst from her wand and galloped around the room, coming to a stop directly in front of him. He wondered what it might imply, afraid to hope that it meant what he thought.

"Expecto Patronum," he whispered to himself. The stag poured from his wand once more, but he controlled it this time, keeping it floating in front of him. He reached out toward it as if he could stroke its back.

"What a week," he said softly. "Did you see it? What do you think?"

The silver stag did not answer, of course, and with a sigh, James let his Patronus shimmer out of existence. He began to head back toward Gryffindor, then suddenly whirled around with his wand raised when he heard footsteps behind him. It was Sirius, and he looked like he was fit to burst.

“Well, Prongs,” he drawled. “That was exciting. Want to fill me in on what’s going on with Evans?”

“That foul creature attempted to deframe my portrait!” cried Sir Cadogan before James could answer. “It””

Sirius waved his wand and silenced the poor knight. “Quiet, metalmouth. I wasn’t talking to you.”

“I’d be interested in the answer myself,” sneered a second voice behind them. Severus Snape stepped out from the shadows of the doorway. His dark hair hung lankly to his shoulders, and his black eyes glittered over his hooked nose. He looked suspicious and annoyed, as if what had happened in Defense Against the Dark Arts had been a personal insult. He was the last person in the castle James wanted to see at that moment.

“Sod off, Snivellus,” Sirius snapped. “This is a private conversation.”

“Not in the middle of the corridor, it isn’t,” Snape replied evenly.

“It’s none of your business, Snape!” James retorted, clenching his hands to keep from cursing the Slytherin. He was Head Boy now and could not afford to jinx someone every time they bothered him. He had to be responsible, and, so far, he had been successful; he had somehow managed to avoid any major confrontations with Snape all year.

“It is, if the Head Boy is cheating in class,” Snape said. “I saw you help her. And then look at her Patronus”a doe.” His voice dripped sarcasm. “How flawlessly paired to your perfect stag.”

“I didn’t help her,” snapped James. “I just encouraged her. She cast the spell all on her own.”

“Besides, why would James do it for her?” asked Sirius, frowning. “What’s he got to gain casting someone else's spell?” James wished Sirius hadn’t asked, because he knew exactly what Snape was going to say before he said it; it was what he was worried about everyone thinking.

“Use your brains and your balls for once, Black!” Snape said nastily. “Potter’s been after her for years. Helping her master such a difficult spell only increases his chances of going out with her, doesn’t it? And giving her a doe to match his stag might even convince her that it was all meant to be”est in fatis.” He said the last in a mocking voice, his face distorted by an ugly sneer.

James felt his face flush with anger. He hadn’t considered the second part. Was that what others would think? That he had somehow given Lily a doe to his stag in order to convince her to go out with him? The thought of it twisted his stomach, and he suddenly found himself face to face with Snape, ready to fight. He knew what really rankled Snape, and he was ready to take out his own fears on the slimy Slytherin, consequences be damned.

“And that’s what’s really bothering you, isn’t it? The thought that maybe we could be meant for each other? That maybe she might go out with me?” He was rewarded when he saw Snape’s eyes narrow dangerously.

“She hates your guts, Potter,” he sneered. “She always has.”

“She’s not your friend anymore”how would you know?” James snapped. Hearing it from Snape hurt more than he thought it would. He didn’t believe it was true, not after what happened in the corridor, but the smallest sliver of doubt remained. She hadn’t been able to answer him when he had asked her what was going on between them, and they hadn’t talked about it all week. What if she really was using him, playing him for a grade? What if the doe meant nothing?

“Some things never change,” Snape hissed, his face twisted by hate. “And Lily Evans falling for an arrogant prick like you is one of them.”

“I guess that’s why she snogged me in the hallway last weekend, then,” James replied before he could stop himself. He heard Sirius snort behind him and wanted to kick himself for revealing something so private; Lily would hate him for sure now.

“Liar!” Snape shouted.

“Jealous?” taunted James, throwing caution to the wind now that he had already blown it once. “I know you’ve always wanted her. Everyone knows it.”

“James,” Sirius warned, coming up beside him.

“What?” he snapped, ignoring the unspoken advice. “It’s true. He’s jealous that she didn’t choose him. Well, she didn’t choose him because he’s just a bloody tosser!”

Snape sucked in a breath and James knew it was coming: some sort of silent spell. He raised his wand and threw up a Shield Charm just as it hit, deflecting a jet of yellow light into the wall. He threw back a Stinging Hex, but Snape was just as quick, and it went out a nearby window.

Sirius cast a Jelly-Legs Jinx; Snape staggered slightly as he tried to keep his balance. James turned to Sirius and growled, “Stay out of it! He’s mine this time!” Sirius held up his hands and backed off; unfortunately, the momentary distraction allowed Snape to gain the upper hand. He Stunned Sirius, sending him backward against the cold stone of the corridor to land in an undignified heap on the floor.

“Arsehole!” James shouted. He didn’t hold back. He threw curse after curse at Snape, who hurled them back with equal abandon. It was a fight that had been long coming; they had not had a go at each other all year, and their emotions were high as they both fought for something close to their heart: Lily Evans.

James felt his energy draining as Snape began to throw darker and darker curses at him. He swore, determined not to lose this battle. He forgot he was Head Boy, forgot he was in school, forgot he had his family’s name to uphold. He even forgot about Lily and what she would think of him when it was all over: he just wanted to beat Snape, once and for all.

Diffindo!” he cried, and a long, ugly gash appeared on Snape’s right leg. Before he could cast a second spell and take him down, Snape had shouted his own curse.

Sectumsempra!” he shouted. James felt an excruciating pain across his face and neck. The memory of something similar cutting his cheek during fifth year briefly crossed his mind. His hand rose involuntarily to hold in the blood that coursed down his face as he stared wide-eyed at Snape, unable to believe what had just happened. He felt his hand grow warm and sticky, and his vision began to blur. He barely saw Sirius jump up beside him and cast a Stunning Spell at Snape, finishing the duel for him.

He vaguely recalled Professor Brookstanton running up as Sirius caught him before he collapsed. He saw a very fuzzy Professor McGonagall behind them and murmured, “I’m sorry,” as he lost consciousness.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you to Apurva for betaing, and to Laurskii for some help with Latin! I apologize for how short this chapter is, but this was another unplanned digression from the original plan. I blame James for going off on his own again. I hope you still enjoyed the cliffhanger, though- thank you for reading and reviewing! :)