Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Sound Inside a Shell by Alice in Potterland

Printer
Summary: "Voldemort meant little to us then. It was just a name our frightened parents tossed around. They had grown up during Grindelwald's reign - knew nothing but fear. They were paranoid. To us, fear was tangible only in the moments spent considering another loss to Slytherin on the pitch."

Wedged comfortably between two eras of turmoil, the students of Hogwarts never imagined they'd go down fighting. Life at school was defined by teenage rebellion, tough classes, and nail-bitingly exciting Quidditch games. Grindelwald's defeat was news of the past, but some told of a new dark wizard on the rise by the name of Lord Voldemort...

But for Alice Emerson and Lily Evans, for Potter and Black and the rest of her class, that was simply irrelevant. The outside world stopped at Hogwarts' gates until tragedy in their fifth year brought it violently to the forefront.
Ratings: 3rd-5th Years [ - ]
Category: Marauder Era
Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Substance Abuse
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 4 Completed?: No
Wordcount: 16706 Viewcount: 9725
Published on: 07/13/10 Updated On: 07/09/12



Story Notes: This is the first installment of a trilogy. I expect each of the installments to be between 20 and 30 chapters long.


1. Prologue: Another Day at the Office by Alice in Potterland [ - ] (2335 words)
This story has been a long time coming! Thanks to my best friend for planting the seed in my brain. Mostly, of course, thanks to JKR, our divine mistress of fiction, for painting a world for us lit-nerds to live and write in. :)


2. Chapter 1: Hope Comes Home by Alice in Potterland [ - ] (4170 words)
"and you need someone to tell you
I'll be here when you want me
like the sound inside a shell..."

from A Poem for People who are Understandably Too Busy to Read Poetry by Stephen Dunn




3. Chapter 2: Proud Hearts and Stubborn Wills by Alice in Potterland [ - ] (5492 words)
Gryffindor has Transfiguration without Slytherin, which is weird. James and his friends discuss his new crush, and later, a few of the girls are caught gossiping.
4. Chapter 3: Spirit of Unity by Alice in Potterland [ - ] (4709 words)
The Gryffindor Quidditch team sits around before try-outs, Lily and Severus do some Potions homework, and Sam and Alice go somewhere they're - strictly speaking - not supposed to go.