Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fireside Chat by Quillwork1313

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry sat in the grass, looking out at the surrounding grounds and breathing in deep breaths of fresh, free air. He looked around him, seeing groups of two or three people walking here and there around the grounds, no doubt enjoying the warmth of the sun, taking in the sight of it reflecting off the lake, which shimmered radiantly.

Harry knew they, like him, were thinking of how fortunate they were that they had made it through the day to be able to enjoy such a common sight as a sunset, a sight that so many took for granted. Only hours before, the school and grounds were littered with the bodies of the wounded and the dead, friends and Death Eaters alike. Now there were just the broken tree limbs and bits of the castle wall lying about the grounds.

Harry had just barely gotten away from his friends, almost having to resort to hiding under the Invisibility Cloak to escape the people constantly wanting to talk to him, congratulate him or ask him for his opinion on their next plan of action. Although there were plenty of more experienced witches and wizards that could handle everything, most people seemed to be coming to him; he had become even more of an idol than before. But of course, he had to admit, he had expected nothing less.

He knew there was so much to help with, but he had to have just a moment of peace, a moment of freedom, before he must go back to see the faces of all those who had survived, and to not see the faces of those who had not.

Deciding he wanted to take a walk, he stood up and started toward the lake when he heard a call from behind.

“Harry.”

He almost groaned aloud at the thought of being caught sneaking off. But as he turned, he was slightly surprised as he saw George Weasley walking toward him from the steps. As he approached, Harry surveyed him. George’s overall appearance wouldn’t give away anything that was going through his mind at that moment. He was walking tall, his face composed. Just his eyes normally clear and bright, were dark, exhausted. He appeared to be almost the same as always, although Harry knew better.

Harry had been there, when he had thought that the world around him had exploded, and he remembered the most awful sense of dread that had followed as the dust cleared and he had seen Ron and Percy leaning over a body, that of their brother Fred, George’s twin. He pushed back the memory and replied, “George. How are you doing?”

George made no reply but cocked an eyebrow and Harry knew how stupid the question had been. But George seemed to understand and simply said, “How about you?”

Harry also shrugged, and said, “As well as can be expected.”

There were a few uncomfortable seconds of silence, and then George said, “You were brilliant, you know.”

“Huh?”

“You know; when you killed Voldemort, evil dark lord bent on ruling the world, remember?” Harry thought that this was intended to be a joke, but George wasn’t smiling.

“Oh, right. Thanks,” he replied. “George, I”“

“I don’t want to hear an apology, Harry,” George cut him off. “You and I both know it wasn’t your fault. He knew the risks. We all did.”

Harry glanced briefly at the dark hole in the side of George’s head where his ear had once been. He had heard this speech before and didn’t want to let it stand this time, but didn’t want to argue with George either.

To break the silence that had fallen over them, Harry said, “You want to take a walk?”

George nodded and followed as Harry turned and headed toward the Forbidden Forest.

They were silent for a while as they walked along the edge of the forest, stepping over or walking around fallen branches, Harry occasionally waving to passersby who called greetings to him.

Finally, George spoke. “Percy thinks it’s his fault.”

“Why?”

“He said that if he hadn’t come back, Fred wouldn’t have been with him to follow him down that corridor.” There was a pause, and then, “I know it wasn’t his fault. I should have told him.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I didn’t really know what to say, so I didn’t say anything.”

Another pause.

“I wish I knew who did it. It would be easier in the long run, I think, if I knew he didn’t just die by chance.”

Harry was surprised that George could speak so freely about it. He did not seem to have made any restrictions to himself, no barriers he wouldn’t let himself cross. Harry suddenly admired George more than he ever had before. He remembered that he had wanted to tread lightly on the subject, but found himself asking, “What would you do if you knew who did it?”

George did not seem to have an answer to this. They just continued walking until Harry suddenly realized where they were. This spot, just on the border of the forest, was where he had spoken to Lupin, Sirius and his parents using the Resurrection Stone. And then he had an inspiration.
He was just going to wait for the right moment…

“Hey, Harry,” George said, stopping. “You mind if I go on by myself? I need some time”alone.”

“Sure, of course,” Harry said. He had to act now. “George, before you go, I need to ask you something.” He paused, thinking about how to phrase this. “If you could have a chance to talk with Fred again, would you do it?”

George stood frozen, staring at Harry with an unreadable expression. The longest silence fell over them, Harry’s eyes never leaving George’s as he awaited an answer, although he already knew what that answer was.

Finally, George said, “Of course.”

Harry took a breath before responding. “I need you to do something, alright? You see those trees right there?”

George nodded.

“Just walk through those trees in a straight path. Before long you’ll come to a clearing. There’s something there you need to see.”

George looked puzzled. “What do you mean?”

“Listen, it’s important, okay? Just do it for me.”

“Harry, what is it you want me to”“

“Do it for Fred.”

George looked slightly taken aback. “I don’t understand, Harry.”

“Just trust me,” Harry said. Then he turned and started back toward the castle, leaving George standing alone by the forest.