Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Legion of the Serpent by adithyabigal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

First Fan-fic ever, please R/R. I'll try my best to answer any and all comments. I have a few chapters further on in the story written and I am still working on more. Thanks for all the reads and reviews so far!
Chapter Notes: An eventful journey, to say the least...
First chapter, pretty mild on the whole. I needed a chapter to introduce my characters. However, the next couple of chapters are action packed, so keep reading!
Chapter 1

Albus Severus Potter gave one last wave to his parents and Lily as the scarlet steam engine gained speed and chugged around the corner. He was still contemplating what his father had told him; The Sorting Hat takes your choice into account. His head, which had been throbbing ever since they had reached King's Cross, had eased. He was relaxed for the first time in weeks, but still angry, as he had been for a while now.

“Hey, Al!” said Rose, taking her nose out of A History of Magic for the first time since they had gotten on the train to snap her fingers in Albus’ face. “You awake?”

“Yeah,” Albus replied absentmindedly.

“You’re not going to be put in Slytherin,” said Rose exasperatedly. “Really Al, you can’t let James mess with you like that, he’s just…”

“That’s not what I’m mad about!” interrupted Albus, indignant. Why is it that Rose always assumed she knew what people were thinking? She could be pretty annoying at times, but she was Albus’ cousin and best friend, so he calmed himself down enough to say, “It’s about what our parents told us the other day.”

“Look, it wasn’t that big of a deal. I mean, Uncle Harry survived the Killing Curse, which was kind of a big deal, plus he defeated the most evil dark wizard of all time, which was kinda brave, but overall…” Albus raised his eyebrows. “Fine, he’s the greatest wizard of all time, ok? Why in the name of Merlin does that bother you so much?”

“Because the whole Wizarding world expects me to live up to his standard, and you know I can’t do that! Everyone else could do great things with their lives. James is the Quidditch star, Fred could bewitch a niffler to plant a garden, and Teddy is only two years out of Hogwarts and he’s already working for the Ministry! Even Lily has got a talent. And you…”

“I don’t have a talent, Al,” Rose interjected quickly. Albus rolled his eyes.

“You’re the worst of them all! You memorized all the course books, Rose! You know the answers to all the questions, and we haven’t even been to Hogwarts yet! In fact, you know the questions before they’ve been asked! I can just imagine your first exam results now. Transfiguration: O, Charms: O, History of Magic: O, Herbology:O, Potions:O, Defense against…”

“Oh, shut up!” Rose threw her book at him, but she was laughing. “Anyway, Al, you don’t know you won’t be good at anything. You’re pretty good with animals,” she said, stroking her owl, Deneb. “When Debby was hurt last year, you attached a splint and everything to her leg to keep her well until Mum could mend it.”

“Yeah, Rose. I can just see the headline now: ‘James Potter Leads Britain to Fourth Consecutive World Cup.’” He mimed turning the newspaper over to the back. “Brother Albus Saves Innocent Bowtruckle from Vicious Kneazle.”

They continued laughing until a loud bang and a flash of light from the corridor stopped their fun abruptly. A second later, a tall, lanky boy with short, black hair burst into the compartment, panting. His wand was out.

“Do you mind if I sit here?” he heaved. Albus nodded. “Thanks!” he plopped down onto the brown leather seat next to Rose.

“What happened out there?” asked Albus.

“This kid called me Mudhead, or something of that sort and sent a spell at me,” he explained as he took a swig from his tall Manchester United water canteen.

“You mean Mudblood,” clarified Rose grimly. He nodded.

“Yeah. That’s what I said.” He took another swig. “That guy is a total buffoon. He thinks that I’m Muggle-born because of my canteen. I’m actually Half-blood. My mum is a witch, but my dad doesn’t know, and probably never will. My name is Jason Asterope, by the way. I know who you two are of course, Rose Weasley and Albus Potter, I presume.”

“Yes. How do you know…” started Rose, but Jason interjected.

“I picked up a couple of extra books from Flourish and Blotts.” He gestured to a small trunk that he had brought in with him. He opened up the suitcase and Albus was surprised to see that the puny suitcase's interior was cavernous. Jason stretched his hand inside and picked up a book: Standard Book of Spells: Grade 5.

“We don’t need that book, do we, Rose?” Albus asked. He had been teasing Rose for bringing extra books to school. Rose didn’t respond. She was clutching her own copy of Standard Book of Spells: Grade 5, which she had just pulled out of a little beaded handbag that was an 11th birthday present from her parents. “Answer me this: how do you fit all those books in there?” asked Albus.

“Undetectable Extension Charm,” Rose and Jason replied together. Jason grinned. “Finally! Some people I like on this train.”

“Finally, someone who can beat Rose on a test,” said Albus playfully. Rose was blushing the same color as her hair.

“I don’t know: I’ve heard that a lot of half-bloods and Muggle-borns are discriminated against. I bet I’ll do horribly at Hogwarts,” said Jason, sounding truly concerned. Both Albus and Rose laughed.

“That’s probably the only incorrect assumption you’ll have this year,” Albus pointed out, still chuckling. “Rose’s mum was Muggle-born, and she was the top of her class when she was in school. Now she’s the Head of the Department of Magical Law at the Ministry. She’s the one who’s been stopping all the discrimination against house elves,” he said proudly.

“Is that so?” Jason said, his interest piqued. “My parents are both lawyers. All they could talk about when we got here was how Platform Nine and Three-Quarters was illegal.” They all shared a laugh. A plump witch with a squeaky trolley came up the corridor and slowly opened their compartment door.

“Anything off the cart, dears?” she asked happily.

“Sorry. No money,” replied Jason bitterly.

“No problem,” Albus slipped the Mokeskin purse kept around his neck off and pulled out a handful of galleons. “Have at it!” he said as he, Rose, and Jason ran towards the cart, grabbing all the candy they could hold. The rest of the afternoon passed quite peacefully, all worries washed away in the stream of sugar and laughter.


Harry, Ginny, and Lily cruised up to their house’s driveway just before dusk. Ginny had insisted that while they were in London, the family should visit Diagon Alley for a bit. The trip, however, had gone out of control when Ginny had insisted that they purchase a new sofa that she had seen in Witch Weekly earlier. It had taken three magical movers to lift the sofa and another to fit it inside the trunk of their Vauxhall.

“I wonder where they are now,” Lily said to no one in particular.

“If you haven’t asked that at least fifty times,” grunted Harry as he and Ginny hoisted the couch onto the doorstep, “I’ll eat this sofa.” Harry opened the door with a wave of his hand. Perched just inside was a screech owl with a letter tied to its leg. The owl had a strange sort of necklace with a small badge. Harry recognized it as a Hogwarts school owl. He dropped the couch and rushed over to the owl. He untied the letter and broke the seal. Harry had seen the sender’s handwriting more than once before. It was from Minerva McGonagall.

Dear Mr. Potter,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. The reason for this, however, is not merely sentimental. Recently, a situation has arisen at Hogwarts that requires your attention, not the Ministry. In other words, Hogwarts would appreciate if you would keep the following in confidence. Our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher has been missing for months now. No one has seen or made contact with Professor Caelum since the end of the previous term. There is no reason to suspect “foul play”, but the situation remains the same: we do not have a Defense teacher for the term starting today. We, at Hogwarts would be truly honored if you would take the post. You are clearly the perfect candidate for the job, being head of the Auror Department, as well as your extensive field experience. Also, a recent discovery has been made at Hogwarts, something which we hope you can help us comprehend. I cannot discuss the details in this letter; they are too sensitive to be put into writing. Again, I would appreciate it if you could keep this matter between you and your family. Please send the owl back with your reply promptly.

Yours Truly,

Minerva McGonagall

Headmistress of Hogwarts

Harry grinned. He turned around and saw Ginny’s concerned look. “I’m going back home, Ginny.”
Chapter Endnotes: I hoped you liked the first chapter! Please review!



DIsclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. I am not J.K. Rowling. I apologize to all those who thought I was.